Orv sticker fees going up next year

I was just reading that the fee will be going up from $16.25 to $36.25 next year.  There hasn't been an increase in the fee since 1996, but this seems like a steep increase all in one shot.  It will be interesting to see what actually happens with the extra revenue.  I hope that it really does go to the trails.

I'm not sure it's been passed into law yet and it's a two-tier fee. It's something like $26 for your basic ORV permit which allows you to do what the permit allows you to do, like access to Silver Lake, etc. and then, if you want to access official State of Michigan ORV trails you have to pay another $10 or so. If you never ride the state trail system, you don't have to pay the extra $10. 

I've been all for a fee increase ever since proposed, but I think $36 is too much.

Wow, that is a chunk...  Registering a bike for the traditional roads system isn't much more than that.

I think the current fee is a bargain, but an increase to more than double needs a bit of explanation.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds hard to enforce. I'm road legal anyhow but if the full price if ORV stays with ORV to maintain trails and such I'm fine.

We pay thousands of dollars for the machines to ride and countless dollars on gear every few years if not every year and people don't wanna see an increase in the orv sticker.