Sign in to follow this  

KTM 150 xc

Hey guys! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the ktm 150 xc. I ride an atv currently, and I'm going to make the switch to dirt bike. I'll be looking at newer models, 2012, or maybe even a 2013 if I can find a deal on one, as I need the linkage so I can lower the bike (I'm short lol).  I ride with a few guys who have a wr250f, kx250f and a ttr 250 mainly, will this bike keep up? How do you think it will be learning to ride on it? I have some experience riding dirt bike, and I'm planning on getting one bike to last a while, and this one seems to be a nice fit.  I ride dirt roads with trails in between and a few trips to the local mx track.  This bike seems to be well rounded and up to all of that.  How's the engine? I've read it's powerful for it's size, and feels much more powerful than a 125, does it?  How is it for maintenance? Any recommended upgrades? I've read a lot of good things about this bike and I'm dying to get one, but they're impossible to find in Canada for a reasonable price, maybe you guys could help me out with that too ;) If anyone has experience with shipping from the states it would be greatly appreciated to know how you found it.  I've found a couple for a good price in Texas but I'm thinking that would be a long and expensive trip all the way to Newfoundland. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have lots of seat time on this bike! 

Thanks!

I think all your friends are going to be jealous when you're on that little rocket, everything I've read about them has nothing but good things to say. Adjust the powervalve right away for the hit to come on later (will open up quite a bit more low/mid-range), aka Langston setting. It will make you a better rider and you'll have way more smiles per mile than your buddy on the TTR.

Well they are super light weight but have very little low end. my daughter says it's better than her YZ144 was though. I think they need a steering stabilizer but I weigh more than yhey are aimed at. My 135 pound girl never complains

I think all your friends are going to be jealous when you're on that little rocket, everything I've read about them has nothing but good things to say. Adjust the powervalve right away for the hit to come on later (will open up quite a bit more low/mid-range), aka Langston setting. It will make you a better rider and you'll have way more smiles per mile than your buddy on the TTR.

Thanks! They do seem to be a lot of fun, and thanks for the advice I'll be sure to try it!

Well they are super light weight but have very little low end. my daughter says it's better than her YZ144 was though. I think they need a steering stabilizer but I weigh more than yhey are aimed at. My 135 pound girl never complains

Ok, that's fine by me, I'm up for a new experience!  Your daughter is around my size, I'm not a very big guy, so hopefully I won't have any complaints either.

Edited by K4B00SS

Hey guys! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the ktm 150 xc. I ride an atv currently, and I'm going to make the switch to dirt bike. I'll be looking at newer models, 2012, or maybe even a 2013 if I can find a deal on one, as I need the linkage so I can lower the bike (I'm short lol). I ride with a few guys who have a wr250f, kx250f and a ttr 250 mainly, will this bike keep up? How do you think it will be learning to ride on it? I have some experience riding dirt bike, and I'm planning on getting one bike to last a while, and this one seems to be a nice fit. I ride dirt roads with trails in between and a few trips to the local mx track. This bike seems to be well rounded and up to all of that. How's the engine? I've read it's powerful for it's size, and feels much more powerful than a 125, does it? How is it for maintenance? Any recommended upgrades? I've read a lot of good things about this bike and I'm dying to get one, but they're impossible to find in Canada for a reasonable price, maybe you guys could help me out with that too ;) If anyone has experience with shipping from the states it would be greatly appreciated to know how you found it. I've found a couple for a good price in Texas but I'm thinking that would be a long and expensive trip all the way to Newfoundland. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have lots of seat time on this bike!

Thanks!

Its a very good bike but i don't know if it a very good beginner bike with a little low end power have you ever thought about maybe a 200 because it can be luged down low better than the 150 and you can ride on the pipe the only down side to the 200 is that you cant get a xc just xcw and if your going to the track the w sucks. but the 150xc is a great machine and i would highly recommend it. as far as it running a lot better than a 125, the 150 is like a really good clean running 125. i have a 2013 250xc (2t) and it is a amazing bike it does everything very well i came off of a kx250f and haved turned back. good luck and enjoy the new bike

Hey guys! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the ktm 150 xc. I ride an atv currently, and I'm going to make the switch to dirt bike. I'll be looking at newer models, 2012, or maybe even a 2013 if I can find a deal on one, as I need the linkage so I can lower the bike (I'm short lol). I ride with a few guys who have a wr250f, kx250f and a ttr 250 mainly, will this bike keep up? How do you think it will be learning to ride on it? I have some experience riding dirt bike, and I'm planning on getting one bike to last a while, and this one seems to be a nice fit. I ride dirt roads with trails in between and a few trips to the local mx track. This bike seems to be well rounded and up to all of that. How's the engine? I've read it's powerful for it's size, and feels much more powerful than a 125, does it? How is it for maintenance? Any recommended upgrades? I've read a lot of good things about this bike and I'm dying to get one, but they're impossible to find in Canada for a reasonable price, maybe you guys could help me out with that too ;) If anyone has experience with shipping from the states it would be greatly appreciated to know how you found it. I've found a couple for a good price in Texas but I'm thinking that would be a long and expensive trip all the way to Newfoundland. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have lots of seat time on this bike!

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377127058.447688.jpg

Its a very good bike but i don't know if it a very good beginner bike with a little low end power have you ever thought about maybe a 200 because it can be luged down low better than the 150 and you can ride on the pipe the only down side to the 200 is that you cant get a xc just xcw and if your going to the track the w sucks. but the 150xc is a great machine and i would highly recommend it. as far as it running a lot better than a 125, the 150 is like a really good clean running 125. i have a 2013 250xc (2t) and it is a amazing bike it does everything very well i came off of a kx250f and haved turned back. good luck and enjoy the new bike

Yeah, I had posted about the 200 xc-w before, and all in all it seems like a great bike, but it's too one sided for me as I don't do much tight and technical stuff.  Although some bottom end would be nice, but I can't see the xc-w working out very well for a trip to the track.  The 150 is lightweight and seemingly the better choice over a 125. I do have a couple questions though, I can find sx models everywhere, is it worth the wait for an xc? also, how does this bike compare to a yz 125? I've found a clean looking one locally and it's started to temp me, although that's probably just me being impatient lol.

Yeah, I had posted about the 200 xc-w before, and all in all it seems like a great bike, but it's too one sided for me as I don't do much tight and technical stuff. Although some bottom end would be nice, but I can't see the xc-w working out very well for a trip to the track. The 150 is lightweight and seemingly the better choice over a 125. I do have a couple questions though, I can find sx models everywhere, is it worth the wait for an xc? also, how does this bike compare to a yz 125? I've found a clean looking one locally and it's started to temp me, although that's probably just me being impatient lol.

between the xc and the sx there are 3 difference 1 the sx has a small tank. 2 the sx had stiffer suspension settings 3 the sx has a close ratio transmission other than the xc having a open on the higher gears. Is it worth waiting for? mabye to really be comfort able on the sx in the woods is to revalve the suspension which could very from 500 to 1100 depending on who does it. any you would have to buy a 280$ tank for the sx. the xc already comes with the more woods suspension and bigger tank. depending on how long you would have to wait on the xc i think it is worth waiting for.

as far as yz the ktm comes stock with the brebo brakes, hydraulic clutch...... but im not a yamaha guy so if you talked to a yamaha guy he might say different and ive never riden a yz125 but i think the xc will fit you the best

between the xc and the sx there are 3 difference 1 the sx has a small tank. 2 the sx had stiffer suspension settings 3 the sx has a close ratio transmission other than the xc having a open on the higher gears. Is it worth waiting for? mabye to really be comfort able on the sx in the woods is to revalve the suspension which could very from 500 to 1100 depending on who does it. any you would have to buy a 280$ tank for the sx. the xc already comes with the more woods suspension and bigger tank. depending on how long you would have to wait on the xc i think it is worth waiting for.

as far as yz the ktm comes stock with the brebo brakes, hydraulic clutch...... but im not a yamaha guy so if you talked to a yamaha guy he might say different and ive never riden a yz125 but i think the xc will fit you the best

Alright, that's what I thought, more money in the long run.  The xc is a great fit, just impossible to find, I guess I'll suck it up and wait. As for the yz, the ktm is definitely a better bike in my eyes, I'm planning on having the bike for next riding season, so I have a while to find a bike, just not the patients ;) 

Alright, that's what I thought, more money in the long run. The xc is a great fit, just impossible to find, I guess I'll suck it up and wait. As for the yz, the ktm is definitely a better bike in my eyes, I'm planning on having the bike for next riding season, so I have a while to find a bike, just not the patients ;)

good luck and have fun

Ok, that's what I thought, more money in the long run.  I think the xc is a great fit, just impossible to find, I guess I'll suck it up and wait.  As for the yz, the ktm is a better bike in my eyes, and definitely has a lot of more quality parts. I'm planning on having the bike for next riding season, so I have a while to find a bike, just not the patients ;)

Edit: sorry for the double post, I got a notification about my ad blocker from the website, and figured my post never went through, just ignore this one.

Thanks!

Edited by K4B00SS