Best 450 for shorter riders

I'm in the market for a 450.06 to 08 model and I'm wondering which brand from the factory is better for shorter riders? I don't want to shave the seat and I don't want to mess with suspension. I'm 5'10 and I know that's not short but i prefer shorter sitting bikes. Is there enough difference between brands to even matter? Any answers are appreciated. Also this question is for a friend of mine looking at getting a 450 and he is fairly short.

A 09 to 12 crf450 is probably your best best. It's a smaller bike overall.

Honda for sure

Those years are a little too new for my price range :-\. For some reason Honda is high in my area, Right now I'm really leaning towards a 07 yz450f. Is that a fairly tall bike? What's the shortest 450 other than Honda?

Beta is known for being lower seat height right out of the box and having solid ktm rfs engines up until 09'. Parts are no problem. .. Actually they come the fastest so far of any bike I've had. They handle well and are easy to ride fast or slow. Great bikes. I have one. Look up some reviews and the older gen from 09 and earlier ought to be cheaper to buy..just depends on where you are.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Not sure on the yamahas, but consider kawasaki out of the question those things are huge.

I am 5'10" and have an 08 yz450f and the height is fine. Just set the sag to where you want it.

5'10" is not small for a 450 at all. Im 5'9" and feel most bikes are made for my size. Shaving a seat for someone your hight would be silly. When I was a kid (14 years old) I use to ride a yz125 no problem, I had to have been in the 5'2"-5'4" range, and size was never an issue then.

I know I'm not that short I just prefer shorter bikes. I was just wondering which brand is the shortest. And I've never seen a beta for sale around here. I would also prefer a race bike. And this question is also for a friend of mine who is 5'5

I know I'm not that short I just prefer shorter bikes. I was just wondering which brand is the shortest. And I've never seen a beta for sale around here. I would also prefer a race bike. And this question is also for a friend of mine who is 5'5

So actually you want a motocross bike.. ..That clarifies things more.. What 450's are you looking at specificly?..plus there are kouba links etc to lower more if you want. 

Beta's are race bikes but you probably don't know much about the brand..They are known for being about the lowest seat heights for offroad bikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI8Fg9zZVXE

That's the newer but I have the older ktm version.. My friend actually bought this bike as a demo and it's plenty lower than a lot of bikes..same height as my 09 525. It's low and works great for technical stuff and I don't feel any different for fast stuff. The bike straight handles excellent and I've got lots of power and the bike doesn't do anything stupid. It's pretty confidence inspiring.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-road-bikes/141_0904_torture_test_2009_beta_540_rx_prototype/

https://www.facebook.com/PurvinesRacing

http://tennesseeknockoutenduro.com/

Here's my first vid when I just got my bike..say 2 weeks? It's easy to go fast and with not much effort. ..very fun..It comes with soft suspension which works well for what I do but I eventually got stiffer springs etc for higher speed ..and my weight. It's fast and amazingly quiet..especially with the stock pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjoMGAlIDYw

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I'm 5'9, I ride a KX450 and I have no problems with it. I am coming off a few other KX's and they both were around the same size, I find Kawis tend to be a bit lower.

The newer (09+) kx450s are some of the biggest bikes ive been on besides a 10+ yz450f.

Look at rc lol!!!

I gotta 07 honda crf450....i am 5'10"....with shorter legs, and i am just fine with the seat height.....i did however get the lowering link and raise the forks.....lowered the bike about 1.5"....wow what a difference on handling that makes

Bizz I heard the lowering links do affect handling. Do you think your crf handles better or worse now?

I gotta 07 honda crf450....i am 5'10"....with shorter legs, and i am just fine with the seat height.....i did however get the lowering link and raise the forks.....lowered the bike about 1.5"....wow what a difference on handling that makes

Your 5'10" and you lowered your bike? I thought only girls lowered bikes!  J/K

Yz450fs are the tallest 450s and I love yamaha two smokers and lover honda 4 stroke thumpers braaaaaappppp and thuuuuuuuddd

Your 5'10" and you lowered your bike? I thought only girls lowered bikes!  J/K

LMAO. Ok so I must admit I too lowered my bike. I'm 5'8' 29 inch inseam old and fat. Ride a KLX450. It didn't effect handling all that much as I offset the rear drop with a front drop. I have recently returned the rear to the factory ride hieght. Tends to bottom out on stuff less. I used a Devol Transformer link. It's adjustable and even a monkey could install it.

@ ramblinwreck2......i did use a 1.5" lowering link to lower the rear end and then raised the fork tubes to lower the front.....it did affect the handling in a positive way.....i did not get the suspension re tuned afterwards......the bike feels better in the corners and chop.... with that lower center of gravity, i feel i can lay it over much easier.....and its nice to be able to touch the ground without being on my tippy toes......lol

@ oceantrav......girls lower bikes ehhh???? I know j/k

Nothing wrong with being confident and comfortable....could be the difference between a great day at the track and bad day in the ambulance!

Been there, done that