Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a used 2013 - What to look for?

Hey guys,

I ride (rode) a 2007 CRF450R, but it got stolen about 10 days ago.  I'm looking at a used 2013 with about 13 hours on it, and have the cash in hand to bring it home this weekend.  I've never messed with the FI bikes before at all.  Besides the normal stuff (check out air filter, chain, sprockets, fork seal, etc. to make sure they kept up on their maintenance), what else should I look for?  I read about fuel in the oil, so I'll sniff the crankcase for fuel.  Anything else?

Thanks!

I always look for as stock as possible, for a better idea of hours on the machine. Look at the frame were the  fuel tank rubs on it, under the seat wear the seat and sub frame touch,foot pegs for shaperness, etc.. They are pretty new still so a guy selling it is a guy that tracked the bike as a practice bike and needs a fresh bike or someone who bought it and needs to sell it for the $$$. Pretty easy to tell those apart. I have seen on CL a few 13 crf450 one was really clean around $5k mark. Good luck

I always look for as stock as possible, for a better idea of hours on the machine. Look at the frame were the  fuel tank rubs on it, under the seat wear the seat and sub frame touch,foot pegs for shaperness, etc.. They are pretty new still so a guy selling it is a guy that tracked the bike as a practice bike and needs a fresh bike or someone who bought it and needs to sell it for the $$$. Pretty easy to tell those apart. I have seen on CL a few 13 crf450 one was really clean around $5k mark. Good luck

Sweet, thanks man.  Yea, I know he didn't track it and he is selling for the $$$.  Talking with him, he's pretty meticulous with the break-in and maintenance (or so he says).  He was saying all the right things on the phone though... I'll know more when I see the bike.

I got one with 1 hour on it with tons of upgrades. Both plastic and graphic kits available and all stock parts

This was an extremely informative post.  Thank you.  I now know exactly what to look for, thanks to your detailed comment.

check the rads on the bike before you take it. Not alot of protection in that area so theyre easily bent or damaged. Other then that the usual stuff, bearings, bushings, pegs, brakes etc