Sign in to follow this  

So Cal desert riders: best place after rain?

I'm coming down south for the holidays. We've had lots of rain up north and I'm tired of mud and rainout days. I was planning to ride Gorman, ( see other posts) but looks like rain later this week. :)

Where are the best places to ride in the desert the day after a storm, meaning which place dries out the quickest and has lots of rideable non-mud traction terrain action?

thanks for the info. :D

bigbob, we PRAY for rain in the desert!!!!!!!! Anywhere after a rain will be killer. The more rain the better. If we really get a lot the sand becomes almost like hard pack only soft! (I know that probably doesn't make sense unless you've experienced it.) Worst case is you will have some puddles in the bottom of the whoops, but that just makes it all the more fun! Bring on the rain!!!!!!!

Stoddard, Johnson Valley, Jawbone, El Mirage, all great after the rains. El Mirage lake may be closed though if it rains hard enough, but the surrounding trails will be killer.

One of my faves after a light rain or light snowfall is Phelan. The upper ridges and the big sand hill are a lot of fun if they're not so loose as normal. Have fun.

Cal City and bean cyn. are great. Nothing better than the sand+rain=motorcycle dreamland.I also love jawbone the long hill climbs are awesome!!!!

Gorman can get very greasy after a good rain.Jawbone/Dove Springs + rain = CHICKEN HEAD!!!! :)

Bob,

It's obvious you haven't ridden much desert!! We get excited when it rains! I really like Spangler Hills after it rains... but the question is.... is it going to rain? I live here in the desert. Do you know something I don't??

Jimbo

Bob,

It's obvious you haven't ridden much desert!! We get excited when it rains! I really like Spangler Hills after it rains... but the question is.... is it going to rain? I live here in the desert. Do you know something I don't??

Jimbo

take a look at the weather forecast. barstow - Pm showers tues and thursday. here's a link to the Satelite photo. may be small rain. I'm just rain sensitive - its been WET up north.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/USCA1019?name=southwestussatellite_large&day=1&par=msnbc&site=msnbc.com&promo=regsat

Yeah, like what was said above. Rain in the desert is killer!

Check out these photos. This was about a month ago when there was so much rain Victorville was underwater. You can kind of see in one of the pics how there is absolutly no mud at all after I rode through. Just nice tacky wet sand.

I actually rode for about an hour and a half in the pouring rain. (1st day I got my bike and I was not going to watch it sit in the garage!)

CRF in the Rain pics

Johnson Valley or Stoddard are AWESOME after the rain.

I would have to vote for Cal City also. That place rocks after it rains :)