Sign in to follow this  

Repacking End Can - lots of questions

I have a CRF450 end can on my XR400 and It was a bit noisy so I stripped it down to repack. I purchased some of the newer type packing with the thread that melts and lets the packing fill the can. When I opened up the can there is a roll of wire wool encompassed with some super fine mesh. It obviously a production Honda set up. The original packing was almost non existent and just about 3/4" thick around the outside of the can. The new packing said to use directly on the perforated tube so I left out the Honda wire mesh wrap. I fitted the new packing fairly snug to the sides but not too tight that it was hard to get back together.

After reassembling using high temp silicone I have run it up and its possibly louder than before!

Should I redo using the wire mesh set up and with a traditional type of packing?

Should I use wire wool instead wrapped tightly around the tube then pack?

If using the older style packing should I ram it in or leave it loose?

Its a straight though pipe. If I want to quieten it I seen some short perforated tubes welded to a shorted inner end tube reducing the bore. Is this for spark arrestment only or will it reduce the noise / power?

I'm a fabricator so can make most things if required.

If you have packed it tightly against the baffle tube then it obviously makes it just like straight pipe all the way through & the muffler does not do its job of soaking up the noise

Try wrapping the baffle tube with stainless scourers & pack it loosely around that so the exhaust can fill the muffler box a bit

Basically the same as I did here>

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1030993-trx400ex-white-brothers-e-series-muffler-mod-to-fit-93-xr250/