Sign in to follow this  

95 Cr 250 fires up but shuts right off?

Hey i have a 95 cr 250 i just bought.. it fires up quickicon1.png but shuts right off, it sounds like something electirical to me? but it has great spark.. i replaced spark plug , clutch , pulled off the top end and check it out , new crank seals , cleaned the carb , checked the pipe and muffler .. and thats where im at right now.. anyone know what it might be? 

still sounds like carb? might want to clean again? are you getting plenty of fuel to the carb?

give us more information!

How many kicks does it take to get it to fire over? Does the bike run until throttle is applied? Or does it shut off no matter what you do?

Usually, that sounds like a carburetion issue / fuel mixture issue.

Id pull the carb apart, check the float height, see what main and pilot jets are installed, check the needle height, and make sure there are no air leaks between the cylinder head and the carburetor. Check the reeds; they should be sealed tight against the reed cage with no gaps. If you are still running the factory PJ carburetor, they dont really like to idle anyway, especially after being 18 years old; the carb could be worn out....

You can also check the resistance of the ignition system i.e the igntion coil and stator. You can also check the wiring connections between the CDI, coil, stator, and kill switch; they might be corroded and not making a solid contact with each other.

Edited by Ilove2strokes
  • Like 1

Check the kill switch. After changing the handlebars on a friend's '01 CR250, I got something out of place putting the kill switch back together and the bike would fire up then immediately die. Easy quick check is to unplug it and start the bike.

When i bought it it did not have a kill switch. It still had spark, pretty good spark. But i took one off my other bike and put it on there and if i press it while kicking it the spark goes away. so it works like it should.  Also i waited a weeek for a fly wheel puller. then when i finally got it i took the bolt off so i could get the fly wheel puller off and it was loose and just feell right off. The stator has little dents on the metal but nothing that would harm the spark.. maybe the timing is offf? ill check that and clean the carb and im hoping it will work. 

I bought this bike as a project bike i got it for a couple hundered bucks so im just tryin to fix it up

I will check the carb again tomorrow. Its deff getting gas because the spark plug is wet and if i take it out and kick it it smells like gas. 

Also, With timing you align the stator marks with the marks on the flywheel. However does the flywheel marks need to line up with the piston at the top of its stroke?

It doesnt have idle screw.. but i dumped gas down the cylinder and it does the same thing.. so im pretty sure its electrical. would it be the cdi stator or coil?

fires up then dies? good spark and fuel? just got the bike? plugged pilot jet. doubtful you can clean it well enough as the orifice is so small. go buy a new one for $5 and i would bet your problems will be gone.

It doesnt have idle screw.. but i dumped gas down the cylinder and it does the same thing.. so im pretty sure its electrical. would it be the cdi stator or coil?

if it was electrical related i doubt it would fire at all. fires then dies is a pilot jet. 

If you fly wheel was loose the it could have sheired of the wood drift key. Make sure your wood drift key is still good. It is what keeps the spark in time with the piston.

its a PJ carb. idle screw is built in together with the choke. just screw the choke left to right.

No matter what i do it just fires up for a second or two. but it fires really strong like it wants to go.. I dumped gas down the cylinder and the same thing happens every time. If i try to pop start it , it JUMPS but cuts out really quick. its a Khelien carb. 

No matter what i do it just fires up for a second or two. but it fires really strong like it wants to go.. I dumped gas down the cylinder and the same thing happens every time. If i try to pop start it , it JUMPS but cuts out really quick. its a Khelien carb. 

seen it many times. plugged PJ. just get a new one. $5 and done.