Sign in to follow this  

New to me 05 Beta 525

I recently bought an 05 Beta 525RR and look forward to getting it out soon.  I owned a KTM 520 EXC a few years ago and liked the engine so wanted an RFS Beta. 

Fortunately, I got some extras with the bike (IMS tank, additional rear mount tank, HT oil cooler, Rekluse clutch and some odds/ends).  Now for the questions:

1.  The headpipe has some dings- nother major but I'd like to find a better one if possible.  What year Betas used the same headpipe and are any of the KTM RFS headpipes interchangeable with the 05 Beta?

2.  The auxiliary (rear mount) gas tank came with the bike but I'm not sure exactly how it mounts.  I realize I may be missing some of the mounting hardware.  Does anybody have one of these tanks on their bike and could send me some pics of the mounting.  Not sure I'll use it but would like to know how to mount it if I decide to do so.

3.  Are the benefits of the HT cooler worth the install effort and potential for damage when I dump the bike (not if, but when)?

4.  The engine has an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner installed.  On my KTM 520, I never had an issue with the cam chain tensioner but I assume this mod will prevent the chance of a tensioner failure.  My only concern is that the manual cam chain tensioner is adjusted correctly.  Any method/technique for adjusting the manual tensioner so I can make sure it is set correctly?

4.  Are any  plastics or graphics available for the 05-?? Betas? 

Thanks

I recently bought an 05 Beta 525RR and look forward to getting it out soon.  I owned a KTM 520 EXC a few years ago and liked the engine so wanted an RFS Beta. 

Fortunately, I got some extras with the bike (IMS tank, additional rear mount tank, HT oil cooler, Rekluse clutch and some odds/ends).  Now for the questions:

1.  The headpipe has some dings- nother major but I'd like to find a better one if possible.  What year Betas used the same headpipe and are any of the KTM RFS headpipes interchangeable with the 05 Beta?

2.  The auxiliary (rear mount) gas tank came with the bike but I'm not sure exactly how it mounts.  I realize I may be missing some of the mounting hardware.  Does anybody have one of these tanks on their bike and could send me some pics of the mounting.  Not sure I'll use it but would like to know how to mount it if I decide to do so.

3.  Are the benefits of the HT cooler worth the install effort and potential for damage when I dump the bike (not if, but when)?

4.  The engine has an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner installed.  On my KTM 520, I never had an issue with the cam chain tensioner but I assume this mod will prevent the chance of a tensioner failure.  My only concern is that the manual cam chain tensioner is adjusted correctly.  Any method/technique for adjusting the manual tensioner so I can make sure it is set correctly?

4.  Are any  plastics or graphics available for the 05-?? Betas? 

Thanks

Pretty much anything you need can be found here:

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/2005-2009-Beta-RR-RS-Accessories_c10.htm

The Beta pipe is def different than the rfs pipe. Not saying it won't fit its just a different shape. I've got a ktm one here but I'm to lazy to pull the shock to swap them. I'll post up when I know for sure.

Edited by widebear

I'd put the stock RFS tensioner back in, it's a good unit. No idea why somebody would replace it with aftermarket (I never knew anybody made one).

I think this might fit.. but not exactly sure..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=121162299110&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_ssn=damagedgoodsglobal&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xbeta+pipe&_nkw=beta+pipe&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I've got an HT oil cooler. It's built for dakar etc. It's built well and I haven't had any problem so far. I got a little  gasket leak but that's just kind of a normal problem for any cover sometimes..

First of all ..if you haven't already contacted the Get dirty guys.. just contact a local dealer and or contact americanbeta for what they have. They used to have older stock stuff but don't see as much on the accessories section for the 09 and earlier parts...so just gotta call them.. I think the graphics are the same from 09 and earlier. Look through the links in the parts, accessories, crossreference threads etc!!!!!! You'll find some useful info here and there. The plastics have a part number so I figure you could just order some new ones. Check with a dealer or some online company. My year 09' Black, white and the orange/red colored plastic kits were available. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

If you want information about the RFS motors I would say Dave Hopkins is the guy to ask. He has built thousands of KTM RFS motors and has a shop in Kirkland, Wa.

http://www.djhcyclesport.com/  See his web site for info on Beta that may pertain to your bikes. I talked to him about building a motor for my 08 Beta 525.

The HT oil cooler is an excellent unit and works well however for most 'normal' type riding is probably overkill and not essential.  The standard 1-1/2 qt oil capacity works fine, especially when the oil is changed every 10 hrs of running time.