horn 300rr

My horn died a while ago, no idea when; just noticed it not working last ride, when I tried it.  I finally got around to diagnosing it: the horn body itself is not making any sound, and has no continuity from terminal to terminal.  Had a spare kicking around, so installed it: works fine now.

Has anyone else had the probelm?

Has anyone else even bothered to keep their horn installed? :lol:

My beta is street legal, so having a horn is important.

Will contact my dealer to see if he'll replace it (test the canadian dealer network that has been the subject of so much debate :smirk: ).

Edited by drzrobbcanuck

My horn died a while ago, no idea when; just noticed it not working last ride, when I tried it.  I finally got around to diagnosing it: the horn body itself is not making any sound, and has no continuity from terminal to terminal.  Had a spare kicking around, so installed it: works fine now.

Will contact my dealer to see if he'll replace it (test the canadian dealer network that has been the subject of so much debate :smirk: ).

Mine did the same thing (died after about 20hrs of riding), i was thinking about mud in the electric contacts, i will try to use a spray for electricals, anyway i kept the horn of my previous Beta since i was not using it due to simplified electrical wiring.

Mine died at some point also, just noticed last weekend, plan was to pull off the old blow the horn startle trick, and I WAS THE ONE STARTLED  LOL   In fairness, it is crusted in mud and has been smacked around pretty darn hard.  I am having more fun wrecking and bouncing this great bike off trees than I really should!

Happens to my 2008 all the time. It is the build up of dirt that causes this. Give it a couple of raps to break the debris loose. That usually makes it work again

I lengthened the wires a few inches and mounted it beside the headlight, behind the number plate. Still works 50 some hours of mostly mud later... bike is so quiet I love coming up behind people and giving a little 'beep beep' to get them outa the way.

drzrobbcanuck, what did you need to add to your stock 300rr to make it street legal?  Did you need to get an RS harness, horn, blinckers, brake switches (fr & rr), hand switches, mirrors?  What was included stock?  Is your bike a US model or a Canadian model?  I'm looking at getting a new bike this fall.  Looking at the Sherco 300 2t, which will probably be closer to December and I'm concerned about no kickstart and an unproven engine.   So at the moment, the '14 Beta 300rr is my top pick, especially with a proven package, kickstart and it looks like I can DS this bike quite easily.  I'm just curious what do I need to get in terms of parts to get it DS ready.  It should be easy to get it registered here in AB, so I'm more concerned about what parts do I need to get after I buy the bike. 

Thanks,

SB

Edited by SpeedBlitz

mine came in the box in which it left italy.  It is the homologation model-not sure what that entails that may be different from others shipped to canada: came with everything needed to make it street legal.  Installed on the bike was horn and all switch gear and dual element head and tail lights and a pipe equipped with a catalytic converter.  In the crate were: license plate mount (for big euro plates), signal lights, mirrors, fmf pipe, spare jets and needles, spare chain and sprokets and some other stuff.

Every prov. is different, and every office is different, so not sure how it will go for you, but I went to the license office, handed over the mvis and other docs, and they handed me a street plate and reg.-done!

I havent had to add anything to make it streetlegal, and really nothing to make it full dirty either!-grand total of mods and tuning: hand guards, pipe guard, adjust tire pressure, adjust chain, gas it up and ride it-should have rad guards and maybe a clutch cylinder guard, but the stock plastic one is pretty rugged, so may not get one. It dont ride it with mirrors, blinkers or plate mount installed, so no idea on them.

the chain in the box i think is a 428, right?

Thanks for the info. So you didn't get yours through a dealer / distributor here in Cnd? All the parts in the box seems similar to a used 2011 GG Nambotin I almost bought last year, it also included a box with the parts you listed. My nearest dealer was closed this week (not sure why, I think shop renos or something), so I'll contact them next week to confirm what is included with their 2014 bikes.

I bought it through a dealer in quebec (jp powersports-also closed this week, coincidentally) who had had a couple in already, and prepped them for customers, but since mine would have to be shipped to me anyway, and was still on the road to him when I bought it in may, he just forwarded it to me in the crate without openning it.  It was imported through bc, as are all canadian betas (mountain motorcycles iirc).

kimi: I actually have no idea what size chain that is (or sprockets for that matter).  I assumed it was a shorter chain and taller sprocket set for street use-will have to check on that: it's still sealed in the bag it came in.

the chain in the box i think is a 428, right?

It's just not o-ring....

the sprockets are 15/48 and the chain is a non-oring and looks like the one that came on it.

the sprockets are 15/48 and the chain is a non-oring and looks like the one that came on it.

thanks, i watch on the box but never tried to install.

Drzrobbcanuck, thanks for the info. Hope the '14s come the same way. I'll contact my dealer this week. I'll need to find out if the Shercos will have the same, but I'm really leaning towards the Beta at the moment.

the sherco would be cool just because they are different.  I don't know which would be better, but I know the beta is just about perfect right out of the box. 

The '14's would likely be even better with slightly stiffer springs and a few odds and ends cleaned up from the 13's: tank volume, battery tray install. frame stiffening/reinforcing. 

I havent changed my springs or made any adjustments to damping: have played with clickers, but ended up back at beta suggested settings-it's a bit soft at both ends, but I haven't bottomed it, and it rides well, and hooks up amazingly-a great woods set-up, but probably not firm enough for desert or mx.

The battery hits the bottom of the seat (no problem as the seat is plastic, but a "flaw"), but move the wires to the sides of the posts, or replace with lithium battery, or, what I have done, install a smaller 4a battery which is about 1" shorter, corrects it.

Also raised my bars about 1", made a pipe guard and headlight guard.  Will be looking at rad guards and am still waiting on a bigger tank: the ims and the new beta tanks are not big enough to justify the $$$ right now.

The beta comes set up so well, it can be ridden as is. Most other brands come needing a lot more setup.

the sherco would be cool just because they are different.  I don't know which would be better, but I know the beta is just about perfect right out of the box. 

The '14's would likely be even better with slightly stiffer springs and a few odds and ends cleaned up from the 13's: tank volume, battery tray install. frame stiffening/reinforcing. 

I havent changed my springs or made any adjustments to damping: have played with clickers, but ended up back at beta suggested settings-it's a bit soft at both ends, but I haven't bottomed it, and it rides well, and hooks up amazingly-a great woods set-up, but probably not firm enough for desert or mx.

The battery hits the bottom of the seat (no problem as the seat is plastic, but a "flaw"), but move the wires to the sides of the posts, or replace with lithium battery, or, what I have done, install a smaller 4a battery which is about 1" shorter, corrects it.

Also raised my bars about 1", made a pipe guard and headlight guard.  Will be looking at rad guards and am still waiting on a bigger tank: the ims and the new beta tanks are not big enough to justify the $$$ right now.

The beta comes set up so well, it can be ridden as is. Most other brands come needing a lot more setup.

which Beta do you have? Also what is the word on 14's being offered with the Zokes along with other goods?  I rode a 300 "limited" and it was ok but I am just so used to......just kidding, i became a better rider after 45 seconds on that 300. Very unexexplainable how much I loved it but I am thinking 250.  Are the 250s even offered with the goods or is it a BYOB only deal?

mines the regular `13 rr with sachs both ends.

am pretty sure the 250 is offered in "race" version too.

'14 300 RR Race will likely be here in winter, like the '13.  I asked AmBeta about a 250RR Race and they had no answer.   I was always a 250 guy but wanted the Zoke 48s after having them on a GasGas for a year, learning the service and valving, having the tools, and generally really liking them, so I went with a 300RR Race.  The Red factory version is even better than the GG version.  Totally "broken in" fluid feel in less than an hour, and valving is unbeleivable how close and well behaved it is for a good B pace on very rocky trail.  By the time I took them apart for post break in service at 12hrs I honestly did not have much of a revalve plan because there was not much to complain about!  Added a little HS rebound, thats it.  They are that good.  The shock is pretty much the same and well balanced with the fork once you ditch the 4.8 spring, but '14s have a 5.2 stock.

The motor is awesome.  If you want to ride it like a 250 you can, just turn the PV adjuster in to hold the valve closed longer and no big  mid range blast.  Or, open it up and ride in the traditional gear high 300 style.  I'm stil experimenting with PV, map select, G2, and gearing to find what works best for me. In any case it does not have that heavier 300 feel or vibration.   '14 300 is the same but '14 250 has some PV changes for smoother power delivery.

The seat base thing is corrected in '14 and an easy fix on a '13.  Side mount batt cables, and shim the rubber bumpers with washers, thats it.  When you R&R the airbox cover, pull/push the pins STRAIGHT into the metal clips.  Remove the seat and flex the cover slightly to do this.  If you just force them in from a rough position or angle, or hit the cover with your hand to do so, the clips get distorted and loose.  Easily replaced if needed though.  I had a countershaft leak until I dropped the oil capacity to 850cc, fixed. 

Motoxgiant here had rad braces, or you can get the AmBeta ones that are actually made by Unabiker. 

Just armor it up as needed and ride, its the best out of the box bike I've ever owned in both build quality and performance. 

'14 300 RR Race will likely be here in winter, like the '13.  I asked AmBeta about a 250RR Race and they had no answer.   I was always a 250 guy but wanted the Zoke 48s after having them on a GasGas for a year, learning the service and valving, having the tools, and generally really liking them, so I went with a 300RR Race.  The Red factory version is even better than the GG version.  Totally "broken in" fluid feel in less than an hour, and valving is unbeleivable how close and well behaved it is for a good B pace on very rocky trail.  By the time I took them apart for post break in service at 12hrs I honestly did not have much of a revalve plan because there was not much to complain about!  Added a little HS rebound, thats it.  They are that good.  The shock is pretty much the same and well balanced with the fork once you ditch the 4.8 spring, but '14s have a 5.2 stock.

The motor is awesome.  If you want to ride it like a 250 you can, just turn the PV adjuster in to hold the valve closed longer and no big  mid range blast.  Or, open it up and ride in the traditional gear high 300 style.  I'm stil experimenting with PV, map select, G2, and gearing to find what works best for me. In any case it does not have that heavier 300 feel or vibration.   '14 300 is the same but '14 250 has some PV changes for smoother power delivery.

The seat base thing is corrected in '14 and an easy fix on a '13.  Side mount batt cables, and shim the rubber bumpers with washers, thats it.  When you R&R the airbox cover, pull/push the pins STRAIGHT into the metal clips.  Remove the seat and flex the cover slightly to do this.  If you just force them in from a rough position or angle, or hit the cover with your hand to do so, the clips get distorted and loose.  Easily replaced if needed though.  I had a countershaft leak until I dropped the oil capacity to 850cc, fixed. 

Motoxgiant here had rad braces, or you can get the AmBeta ones that are actually made by Unabiker. 

Just armor it up as needed and ride, its the best out of the box bike I've ever owned in both build quality and performance. 

Thank you and also exactly what I needed and wanted to hear.  Im friends with the dealer that started carrying them a few years ago and am not sure why I have not asked them.  Looking forward to the day I go there to do some biz