Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR250 Rebuild- from trash to treasure! (pictures)

It has been a while (6 years?) since I owned an aluminum frame CR, and Ive been wanting a 2001 CR250 ever since. I saw an ad on craigslist for a 2001 CR250 that was in VERY rough shape for 650 bucks. I thought,"HEY, a parts bike..." I called the guy, and made plans to look at it. I took a look at the bike and was amazed at what I saw. The bike looked really, really, bad; complete shit. Some genius decided to spray paint the bike black without removing anything (aka close eyes, spray paint the bike). But! the more I looked at it, the more surprised I became. The bike was all original, except for a michelin rear tire that spent its entire life on the street doing burnouts. It still had the original front dunlop 490 with 70% tread on it, the factory chain, sprockets that were not sawtoothed, the factory grips that were not worn down, original handlebars, it had the original air filter, and had the original brake pads. I looked at ALL of the bolt heads on the bike and the ONLY bolts that had been touched by a wrench were the rear axle and chain adjusters. It appeared as if someone rode this bike in a subdivision, on the asphalt, and in his backyard until they crashed it hard enought to put a nice hole in the expansion chamber.

All of the swingarm and rear suspension bushings were nice and tight, with no play or squeeks. No wobble or grinding in the wheel bearings. I took the ignition cover off and it was spotless inside; NO DIRT in there at all. I could tell it was the first time the ignition cover was taken off. I pulled the flywheel and the crankshaft had zero play. I checked the compression and it was 195 psi cold. I pulled the air filter, and the intake boot was extremely clean inside. This bike had surprisingly low hours on it despite the appearance. It started on the 2nd kick.

I offered the guy $500 bucks to take it off his hands and he agreed to my offer. As I was driving home, my mind went from "parts bike" to "full restoration" that I would ride. This way I could have bike to ride when I have to rebuild my 1996 CR250.

Here are the pictures from the day I bought it (early July) to its completion (yesterday).  Im glad I could bring this bike back from the dead; it deserved it!

The day I brought it home-

Before%20Left-L.jpg

Look at the expansion chamber..... :jawdrop:

before%20back%20right-L.jpg

Before%20with%2096%20cr250-L.jpg

Tear down (30 mintues after getting home)-

IMG_7981small-L.jpg

IMG_7979small-L.jpg

Straight into the trash can....

IMG_7980small-L.jpg

Ready ready for a bath-

IMG_8010small-L.jpg

Before its simple green/aluminum brightner bath-

dirty%202-XL.jpg

IMG_8022small-L.jpg

After its bath-

clean-XL.jpg

IMG_8045small-L.jpg

naked%20clean%20left%20with%2096%20CR250

Next up, Reassembly!

I picked up the same bike earlier this year but was in great sharp and I love it. Yours turned out really nice, I love the factory graphics.

Reassembly time! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished product! I love this thing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats all folks!

Amazing job!! I love the stock look of the 01 and your 96 as well.

Wow nice find. Bike looks excellent. I don't think I've ever seen a chain as tight as it is in the before pictures. Glad you saved it from certain death.

Wow nice find. Bike looks excellent. I don't think I've ever seen a chain as tight as it is in the before pictures. Glad you saved it from certain death.

LMAO!! That way you never wear the slider out. :thumbsup:

You done an awesome job on this bike!! You got a great deal too.

Love the OEM 01 styling. People mess them up when they put on aftermarket graphics/crap.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! I don't want to get this thing dirty!

Holy Wow! Unreal how great it looks now. Alumabright? Stuff is pretty good huh?!

Yes! I used NAPA's "Aluminum Brightener" ( white bottle/blue label). This stuff is amazing. I did not scrub this bike at all. It went from dirty to spotless in less than 30 seconds. I sprayed it down with the aluminum brightener and then hit it with the pressure washer after 20 seconds. It cleans baked-on dirt off instantly. Be careful using it though.... It can give you great results....or a finish you didn't want :). It isn't designed for polished aluminum (like the wheel hoops). It will create a dull, light aluminum finish on shiny stuff. It is best on cast aluminum. Cylinder heads and wheel hubs LOVE this stuff.

Thanks! The rear axle nut was loose and allowed the rear wheel/axle to move backward while I was rolling it around. This caused the chain to become tight. I'm just glad the chain tensioners we not seized!

Great looking bike. Thanks for the info on al bright.

Looks like you subframe has the rear fender angled to high. Might be bent?

Great looking bike. Thanks for the info on al bright.

Looks like you subframe has the rear fender angled to high. Might be bent?

Thanks. You are right about the subframe.... It's a little high but all the bolts line up perfectly for the exhaust, fender, and side panels so its not too far off. Plus, I love the look of an angled pointy rear fender... It reminds me of when I got a yz80 in 1993 that had that look. When I was bending the cr250 subframe back, I tried to make it look a little more angled/ pointy. When it is off the stand, it looks more normal.

Great job on bringing both CR's back to life.   I'm also a big fan of the stock oem look & can really appreciate these bikes when they're restored to it.   You got a steal for $500 to only have to replace plastics & pipe & didn't have tear into the motor / trans.  To this day I still don't undestand how someone can neglect a bike & beat the crap out of it & not maintain it... 

makes me wanna start searching craigslist right now! what a score. looks brand new

Wow! Your 01 looks insane, good job dude! I love it.

The 96 is beautiful too. I have just done a 01 CR125! It's not completely finished yet and I haven't gone full OEM like you have but I've kept the OEM styling there, with graphics etc. just done a few mods for my personal preference.

Take a look on my profile.