Bringing back the 2 strokes?!

Well I got a new issue of DR today an while flipping through I found a page that blew me away. There were always rumored online saying two strokes may come back, but I never thought they'd say it in a mag?! Also it states in the story "all we can do at this point is speculate, but my sources on the front lines in Europe claim that KTM is waiting for the previously mentioned jap manufacture to break the DI two-stroke ice and release a RED one first". This has got my so excited even if we don't see them for another few years. But if there saying red, well that just got me stumped I thought Honda hated 2t's?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377290342.607705.jpg

• Like 1

We can only hope this is true!!!!1

Honda loves 4 strokes. Its what they dream about at night.  The only 2 strokes they make are motorcycles, and an old school portable generator. All of their marine outboards are 4 stroke when everyone else had 2 strokes. Their string trimmers are all 4 strokes when everyone elses is 2 stroke....   They love engines with SUPER DUPER ULTRA LOW emissions.

I cant wait to go to a future supercross event and feel like Ive stepped into a building full of angry killer bees. I love seeing the mini classes that run the 85cc 2 strokes still.  So much fun to listen to.

Yep I'm waiting. If they can make the 2t a little more 4t like with control. I'll get one. We all know the 4t has the track advantave for these reasons.

Honda hates the idea that the oranges have taken so much business with there 2t's. You can trust thats the reason.

Two stroke guys remind me of the guys who still think carbeurators in cars are better than EFI......

Its over with move on old timer. 

2 stroke direct injection is not old school tech. The technology has proven itself in snowmobiles and outboard motors. More power, less emissions than a 4 stroke.

It might be hard to comprehend, but if implemented properly could bring back the 2 stroke. The problem so far is patents - evinrude/ski doo has a patent on the technology, and they aren't going to license it cheaply.

• Like 2

Two stroke guys remind me of the guys who still think carbeurators in cars are better than EFI......

Its over with move on old timer.

If your trying to start something get out of here now. I have had both 4t and 2t and I like both I just think it's exciting if Honda expands there line up. Secondly I'm not an older timer I'm 20, still enjoy the 2t's.

2 stroke direct injection is not old school tech. The technology has proven itself in snowmobiles and outboard motors. More power, less emissions than a 4 stroke.

It might be hard to comprehend, but if implemented properly could bring back the 2 stroke. The problem so far is patents - evinrude/ski doo has a patent on the technology, and they aren't going to license it cheaply.

I wouldnt want ANYthing designed by Bombardier in my dirt bike. I like reliability.

• Like 2

This rumor gets started every year.  If Honda is considering bringing back 2 strokes because they want to compete with KTM, I want to see stats showing that KTM is taking market share from Honda with their 2 strokes.  The facts will probably show that Honda sells more 450's per year than KTM sells 2 strokes in several years.

This rumor gets started every year. If Honda is considering bringing back 2 strokes because they want to compete with KTM, I want to see stats showing that KTM is taking market share from Honda with their 2 strokes. The facts will probably show that Honda sells more 450's per year than KTM sells 2 strokes in several years.

You are right this rumor does get started a lot but this is the first time I ever saw it in a mag. I mean it must have a little bit of creditability.

I don't know why anyone would want to have an injected 2 stroke. Look what DI did for 2 stroke outboard motors:

last gen carbureted Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke - 221 lbs.

Etec 75hp DI 2 stroke (they don't make a 70) - 320 lbs

Mercury Optimax DI 2stroke 75 - 375 lbs

Tohatsu TLDI 70 - 320 lbs

The new Yamaha 70hp 4 stroke is 260 lbs.