Sign in to follow this  

Bringing back the 2 strokes?!

Even if they did... so what.  Direct injection won't really alter the powerband that much.   The 5 mins or less it takes to rejet a 2 stroke probably isn't what's stopping people from buying them.  

Any one who wants a two stroke can get one from KTM, Husaberg, Husky, Yamaha, Beta, TM, etc...    

I think you misunderstood. Mine was just a statement on who I thought would devolop a new 2T on something other than a carb.   I'm more than happy with my 3rd gen CR250 with a 00 Kehin PWK carb.  I still have yet to ride a 250 2t that is better even tho the 02/03 is over 10 yr. old technology...

• Like 1

Even if they did... so what.  Direct injection won't really alter the powerband that much.   The 5 mins or less it takes to rejet a 2 stroke probably isn't what's stopping people from buying them.  

Any one who wants a two stroke can get one from KTM, Husaberg, Husky, Yamaha, Beta, TM, etc...

What is stopping people from buying them here is CA is the green sticker nonsense.

Green sticker two stroke, count me in...

If Honda ever came out with a new 2 stroke I would be camping outside my dealership waiting for mine to get shipped in.  Needless to say Im not holding my breathe as they dropped 2 strokes quick and painless. They couldnt do it fast enough.

And dont get me going on Bombardier, my 800 FI Jetski has more hours getting wrenched than in the water.

As long as the AMA displacement rule stands to match 125 2 strokes and 250 4 strokes, and 250 2 strokes with 450 4 strokes, I see very little reason for Honda to get back into the 2 strokes. The 2 strokes have lost their place in professional racing due to the AMA rulings, and Honda won't be making a bike that can't be competitive, even if there are people like me who would love to have a new CR250 or 500.

Also, to say a 4 stroke is a better racing machine is just not true in my opinion. Easier, yes, much easier. But a 250 2 stroke vs a 250 4 stroke, most all professional riders would choose the bike with more power, and they would know how to get that power to the ground. And if a 2 stroke is what the pros are riding, then that is what people are going to buy for the most part. That is why professional racing exists: sales

That is just my 2 cents, figured I would chime in!

• Like 1

Im not holding my breath for Honda to bring back the 2 stroke MX bikes, but I certainly would be one of the first to buy one if they did so. I liked watching pro mx back in the early 2000's when you had a good mix of 2 and 4 stroke bikes. RC beat a lot of 450's back in 02 on a 2 stroke, so it can be done. Ive had both 2 and 4 stroke bikes, and like them both for different reasons. Id like to see it go back to a good mix of both types of bikes in pro racing. I found this video on youtube, and I know boats and dirtbikes are completely different machines, but it makes you curious as to how a DI 2 stroke bike would perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXTpI7tSGuk#action=share

And if a 2 stroke is what the pros are riding, then that is what people are going to buy for the most part. That is why professional racing exists: sales

Well...  every bike brand has a couple of pro's racing them.   Do you really think that's true?    I respect and am amazed by what the pro's do.  But in all honesty, I can't relate my riding to theirs.  Its just not the same.  

I look at a lot of things when I try to evaluate bikes, but i've never one thought....   Villipoto rides a Kawi so I'm going to get one.    But that's just me.

What is stopping people from buying them here is CA is the green sticker nonsense.

Green sticker two stroke, count me in...

The green sticker crap is annoying, that's for sure.  But also, a 2 stroke is an entirely different kind of ride.   I would think its easier for novices and weekend warriors to ride 4 strokes...  with a green sticker of course.

This rumor gets started every year.  If Honda is considering bringing back 2 strokes because they want to compete with KTM, I want to see stats showing that KTM is taking market share from Honda with their 2 strokes.  The facts will probably show that Honda sells more 450's per year than KTM sells 2 strokes in several years.

hhahahah not been to an offroad event in the past 5 years have you

• Like 2

hhahahah not been to an offroad event in the past 5 years have you

anecdotal evidence is not statistics.  Honda sells a TON of 450r's.  Just take a look at the participation of the Honda 450r section on this site vs everyone else, it isn't even close.

anecdotal evidence is not statistics.  Honda sells a TON of 450r's.  Just take a look at the participation of the Honda 450r section on this site vs everyone else, it isn't even close.

I stand by my statement, have you been to a race lately?

• Like 1

Lol, out here in california, Honda outnumbers everything else at least 3 to 1

That doesn't matter, unless you have been to an off road event where there are 20 bikes and 10 of them are 2 stroke ktm's you don't know squat :thumbsup: I'm telling you, Honda sells more 450r's than all other companies combined.  Let alone KTM's and their 2 strokes.  Has nothing to do with whether I like 2 strokes better than 4 strokes or not, it is simple fact.  Why would they need to develop a 2 stroke when they dominate sales with their current line of 450's.

That doesn't matter, unless you have been to an off road event where there are 20 bikes and 10 of them are 2 stroke ktm's you don't know squat :thumbsup: I'm telling you, Honda sells more 450r's than all other companies combined.  Let alone KTM's and their 2 strokes.  Has nothing to do with whether I like 2 strokes better than 4 strokes or not, it is simple fact.  Why would they need to develop a 2 stroke when they dominate sales with their current line of 450's.

+1 Agreed.

On top that the whole dirtbike market seems to be in decline and perhaps the sport as well if you don't consider quads bikes? :foul:(bikes are almost an after thought in some powersport stores around here). Probably not a great time to sink r&d dollars into a product with limited volume in a shrinking market. 

If there is an uptick in KTM % it is probably an indicator of even further decline in the bike market, as name recognition of even smaller Japanese brands such as Zuk dwarfs recognition of Euro boutique brands especially among the uninitiated. Nostalgia is a poor indicator of the future IMO. :ride:

That doesn't matter, unless you have been to an off road event where there are 20 bikes and 10 of them are 2 stroke ktm's .

That is about right, 50% ktm

+1 Agreed.

On top that the whole dirtbike market seems to be in decline and perhaps the sport as well

Nostalgia is a poor indicator of the future IMO. :ride:

The market started going down when they started pushing 4 Strokes. At the height of the 2 stroke era, there were a million dirt bikes sold yearly in america.

You can google around for these numbers. These new 4 strokes are heavy and expensive for beginners new to the sport. 

The Japs shoulda kept making the KDX and the other shoulda been making similar ( PE , IT ) Cheap, light, smaller and easy to fix 2 strokes every day joe's could start on.

• Like 1

The market started going down when they started pushing 4 Strokes. At the height of the 2 stroke era, there were a million dirt bikes sold yearly in america.

You can google around for these numbers. These new 4 strokes are heavy and expensive for beginners new to the sport. 

The Japs shoulda kept making the KDX and the other shoulda been making similar ( PE , IT ) Cheap, light, smaller and easy to fix 2 strokes every day joe's could start on.

I don't think the 4 stroke killed the dirtbike market - what happened was that parents stopped buying their kids dirt bikes since they are "dangerous"

When I was a kid half the neighborhood had them and would play on the street.

These days, kids just sit inside and play video games

Not many people buy a dirt bike later in life if they didn't ride as a kid.

• Like 3

Many people that rode as a kid would buy their kid a dirtbike .  Now they cant afford these expensive and heavy 4 strokes.

• Like 1

The reason sales are on the decline has to do with land restriction and regulation of the sport rather than 2 strokes not being available.  2 strokes today would be aprox the same price as 4 strokes if they were being marketed due to inflation. 

I don't think the 4 stroke killed the dirtbike market - what happened was that parents stopped buying their kids dirt bikes since they are "dangerous"

When I was a kid half the neighborhood had them and would play on the street.

These days, kids just sit inside and play video games

Or they buy them the "safer" ATV/Quads  :foul:

• Like 1

The reason sales are on the decline has to do with land restriction and regulation of the sport rather than 2 strokes not being available.  2 strokes today would be aprox the same price as 4 strokes if they were being marketed due to inflation. 

+1 Agreed.

Beyond that, there is increased competition for the power and action sports dollar.  And IMO dirtbike riding takes a lot more skill in a few different domains than some of the competitors so there is an ease-of-entry competitive disadvantage.

Also, it is worth thinking about that land use does not seem to be having the same impact on ATV/Quad sales at least in my area. :ride:

Many people that rode as a kid would buy their kid a dirtbike .  Now they cant afford these expensive and heavy 4 strokes.

BS there are plenty of cheap bikes, especially for kids.

I'm telling you, parents are overly scared these days.

In addition, the population is more urban than ever, and city people don't ever do anything outdoors except go on 30 minute walks.

• Like 2