Preload Adjustment

Hello, I adjusted the preload on my bike last night and I just want to double check with you guys that I did it correctly. I did search but didn't find an exact answer. 

I weigh around 210 lbs and when I picked the bike up from the dealer the service tech said the suspension was setup for someone my size. Looking at the adjustment area of the shock and there were only 2-3 threads showing above the top lock nut. I loosened the top lock nut and turned the bottom nut DOWN (clockwise if you are looking at the shock from above) almost all the way then re tightened the lock. Did I do this correctly? The shocks were very soft  before and seem to be stiffer now. 

Thanks for the help and reassurance! 

you done good ...   :thumbsup:

oh and by the way .... your bike was not set up for a 210 lb rider. 

I weigh 195 lbs (or so)  and found the suspension way way to soft and opted for the full Race Tech Suspension and for me .... it was worth every penny !!! 

racetech-logo.jpg

Edited by gnath9

Thank you! I figured he was just telling me what I wanted to hear. Having the adjustment that high on the shock couldn't be for a heavier rider. Now that I turned the nut down as low as it would go the seat height seems higher also.

Thank you! I figured he was just telling me what I wanted to hear. Having the adjustment that high on the shock couldn't be for a heavier rider. Now that I turned the nut down as low as it would go the seat height seems higher also.

I believe on our CRF250L's we want 80mm sag 

you done good ...   :thumbsup:

oh and by the way .... your bike was not set up for a 210 lb rider. 

I weigh 195 lbs (or so)  and found the suspension way way to soft and opted for the full Race Tech Suspension and for me .... it was worth every penny !!! 

racetech-logo.jpg

I'm a whopping 135lbs and found the suspension way too soft

one of my most satisfying mods was when I added this ...... and it just looks cool too !!! 

The stock shock behaves like a pogo stick .... just bounces around .... 

post-327736-0-60597900-1364674797.jpg

Edited by gnath9

Awesome, thanks for that shiftline. I'm yet to adjust mine, you've helped me out big time!

Just tried to do this and can't get the lock ring free.  I can't seem to get a good angle on it.  Am I supposed to remove the battery?

Just tried to do this and can't get the lock ring free.  I can't seem to get a good angle on it.  Am I supposed to remove the battery?

You need a big long heavy duty screwdriver and a hammer ... you also want the bike on a stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. I have seen people do it from the right hand side.  

You need a big long heavy duty screwdriver and a hammer ... you also want the bike on a stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. I have seen people do it from the right hand side.  

Have a long ol screw driver and a nice framing hammer. Been working from right side only.   All I am doing is putting a scar on the ring lol.

Have a long ol screw driver and a nice framing hammer. Been working from right side only.   All I am doing is putting a scar on the ring lol.

You can read this thread ....   http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1033666-easiest-way-to-adjust-rear-pre-load/ 

or ...............  :thumbsup:

Standing on the right hand side of the bike you will want to spin the top ring forward to loosen the nut.  Once loose you are free to adjust the bottom pre-load ring. Smack the bottom ring towards the back of the bike (when standing on the right side) until its reaches the bottom of the threads.  Looking from down below you should be able to see how many threads are left.

3-crf-250l-preload.jpg

Once you have the bottom ring all the way down (or to where you want it), spin the top ring towards the back to tighten it back up and lock the bottom ring in place.  Put your tool away, go for a ride and enjoy your slightly stiffer suspension.

http://www.crfadventures.com/crf250l-modifications/adjust-the-crf250l-preload.html