Sign in to follow this  

Tire shelf life

Could be my dumbest question yet :banghead::lol: .....  but how long can I expect to keep tires(not on the bike) without them getting hard/dried out. They would be kept stacked in an air conditioned garage.

I was thinking about a bulk order but I am unsure how they will last.

Thanks

They can keep for 2-3 years if it's climate controlled.  The biggest issue is keeping them from getting hot (like you'd see in a warehouse/garage without AC).  Even with AC, they'll still dry out some.  Why do you need to order in bulk?  Are you getting a bulk discount?  If so, where from.  I'm used to dealing with RMMC for tires since they have good prices and free shipping once you hit $100.

They can keep for 2-3 years if it's climate controlled.  The biggest issue is keeping them from getting hot (like you'd see in a warehouse/garage without AC).  Even with AC, they'll still dry out some.  Why do you need to order in bulk?  Are you getting a bulk discount?  If so, where from.  I'm used to dealing with RMMC for tires since they have good prices and free shipping once you hit $100.

It's through a sponsorship deal I have but they require me to order 10+ tires for free shipping.

Thank you for the response :)

It's through a sponsorship deal I have but they require me to order 10+ tires for free shipping.

Thank you for the response :)

So 5 sets. Take em off when they're still decent and sell the take-offs to buddies for a good price. You'll use em up long before they dry out :)

Wrap them in some industrial size saran wrap in a low heat environment and they'll keep for 3-4 years.

That's a great idea! Thanks!!

+1 on leaving them in the plastic wrap, I have also heard keep them away from big electric motors like maybe  the furnace room or pump house.

I bought up a bunch of Michelin stock from a distributor 3 years ago and they still smell and mount fresh when I pull the plastic off.

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

+1 on leaving them in the plastic wrap, I have also heard keep them away from big electric motors like maybe  the furnace room or pump house.

I bought up a bunch of Michelin stock from a distributor 3 years ago and they still smell and mount fresh when I pull the plastic off.

That's what I used to do with race car slicks.  Wrap them good and keep in a cool place like a basement and they should be OK for a couple of years, at least.  If stored longer and they harden a bit, maybe order a softer compound for part of your order.  Then, use those LAST.