Sign in to follow this  

Dang it's heavy.......

4 months on other bikes then back to the X. 

DANG!  

Better suspension, way better motor, and bigger calluses and more painful muscles....means the bike owns me, until I get back into "X" shape for the winter season....

029_zps128a4df0.jpg

I thought the suspension on that R model you recently acquired would be at least equivalent --- Is the weight diff between the 2 that noticeable? ---

I let a bud ride my X yesterday who normally rides an older R (04 or 5) and he said he couldn't really notice the weight difference at all (but wasn't a valid comparison as im roughly 100#'s more than him and have my boingers set accordingly) -- he loved my motor (stock X, but "fixed") but stated his bike seemed to bark a lot harder ---(no duh - probably still a 5 hp difference between an optimized X and a stock R)

If you have energy left over to stop for self portraits w/ the Iphone, then it must be working out alright though, huh?

Edited by DMC707

Actually, I was looking for a recent pic of the X, and gave up.. and posted my mug.

The R feels lighter in all respects, and is lighter by about 40+ lbs.

My R motor is no where near as aggressive as my X motor, but he X has all that extra reciprocating, un-sprung and sprung mass.. so the power is still very usable.

The big thing about the R is weight distribution: lower and more to the rear, so the bike leans like it weighs 100 lbs less, and the throttle will lift the front wheel like nothing, even when sitting on the tank.

That, and the variable gear-relative ignition curve mapping makes the power smooth like a KTM, but not so peaky and torque-less.

Did I mention to day that I think KTM's are a hoax and a pox on the motorcycling community?

Did I mention to day that I think KTM's are a hoax and a pox on the motorcycling community?

I'm not sure you ever mentioned your feelings about KTM's -- maybe you should expound in 10,000 words or less? (JK )

Dang but you make that R sound good though --- I loved the smooth, endless power of my old YZF's as well --- has anybody ever shoehorned an X engine in an R chassis? -- nowadays it seems a guy could pick up a beat '07 or 08 for low enough coin to make that a possibility

The X engine is too tall......already spent a day on measuring and stuff.

Not true, the X motor has the same dimensions as the 05-08 R motor. I own a X powered 08 CRF450R and have a friend that rides a X powered 07 CRF450R. Engine bolts right in as long as the correct year R model upper engine mounts are used to match the R frame.

Not true, the X motor has the same dimensions as the 05-08 R motor. I own a X powered 08 CRF450R and have a friend that rides a X powered 07 CRF450R. Engine bolts right in as long as the correct year R model upper engine mounts are used to match the R frame.

Well, my tape measure says other wise...

Well, my tape measure says other wise...

Good thing you're not a carpenter, or worse, a machinist! LOL

So learn me, how are the frames different?

On the 450R from 06-08 the engine is tilted forward (lower in the front) as compared to the 450X, thus the reason that the upper engine plates need to match the R frame being used. I would guess that if the 05 R frame was being used then the X plates would work as their engine placement should match. Some other small differences exist but are easily addressed, coil mounts are welded to the R frame vs bolt on for the X, petcock mounting boss is angled on the R vs straight on the X, radiators are mounted lower on the R frame and the radiator mounting holes line up only on the left side, which is odd as the left side X radiator is much larger than the R. On the right side the upper mount lines up correctly but the lower mount needs relocated or fabricated. That's about all that I recall on the main frame, the real challenge is mounting the battery and electrical components onto the R sub frame!

Good thing you're not a carpenter, or worse, a machinist! LOL

What I did was measure an R and an X engine side by side on the bench.

The X engine was taller. 

Now that I think about it, it might have been too new of an R motor....to be useful.

What I did was measure an R and an X engine side by side on the bench.

The X engine was taller. 

Now that I think about it, it might have been too new of an R motor....to be useful.

Yes, could have been a 09+R motor that you measured, I haven't dabbled into that gen of engines/chassis yet so I have no idea on their dimensions.

Edited by chopper61

Bill,

What kind of spectacles are you wearing under those goggles?  Those are nice face huggers with a panoramic view.  I could use a pair of those - are they progressive lenses?  Where do I sign up? 

Those are prescription lenses.

There are a few companies out there making them for goggles.

Provue makes a set that works with the old Scott goggles, which they now brand as ProVue goggles.

The other company is called RXGoggles (formerly called 'team moto-optics'), which is what I use now.

They will make prescription lenses for just about any goggle out there.

http://www.888rxgoggles.com/CatMotocross.html

The real issue with these, for me, is goggle fit in the helmet. Most goggles usually force me to have the helmet up too high, or my nostrils get pinched off.

I need a goggle with a huge bridge, for my big nose.

I tried several goggles with my Shoei helmet before I found a set that would allow me to put my head down and still see out the 'sweet spot' of the lenses. 

It turns out the goggles that work best with my big nose/shoei/lens combo was an updated version of the old Scotts goggle, by Scotts. 

165836_470924316258078_100000215423549_1

IMG_0673_zps62f0c8e5.jpg

SUSP004_zps2b4bfdb8.jpg

021_zpsd64b5679.jpg

...AND THE " R "....

1266994_10202101927056553_1950521477_o_z

5893f616-a127-4c56-92c9-156a5085ba9e_zps

Edited by Krannie
  • Like 1