Sign in to follow this  

Any mods that are necessary on a YZ125?

So i just Bought a 2001 YZ125 off of CraigsList for a pretty good deal.

Its a pretty neutral canvas, an FMF Gold Series Expansion chamber, Renthal Bars, and some pipe

Some background on me, i suck at riding.

i got into the motorcycle game about 5 months ago, bought a California plated KLX250r and got hooked.

This is my first real single purpose bike, really wanna get into this. I want it to be my all around dirt monster, many trails, but i wanna transition more into MX riding when the season starts.

I'm 6'2", 185lbs with gear. 

so my question is, is there any modifications  that are absolutely necessary other than ride time?

I was thinking of trying the SSS front fork conversion from an +06?

Is that even possible with my bike? any places that carry the parts to complete a conversion?

Things you need to do, IMO:

- Jetting 

- Tune your suspension for your weight

If you want to do the SSS swap, you just need to buy the parts of ebay and put it all together, there are other threads with the detail on the conversion

I would say if you're still a beginner, the stock suspension is probably fine.  You may benefit from some stiffer springs, but I'm not sure I'd tear the whole bike apart just for that.  You're not *that* far out of the stock range.  If you needed fork seals and it was going to be apart anyway, then maybe.  For now though, I'd say play with your clickers and check your jetting.  

The only thing I can whole heartedly recommend is a flywheel weight.  It's a huge difference, particularly on a motor that size.  You'll notice quite a difference in the motor's characteristics.

So i just Bought a 2001 YZ125 off of CraigsList for a pretty good deal.

Its a pretty neutral canvas, an FMF Gold Series Expansion chamber, Renthal Bars, and some pipe

Some background on me, i suck at riding.

i got into the motorcycle game about 5 months ago, bought a California plated KLX250r and got hooked.

This is my first real single purpose bike, really wanna get into this. I want it to be my all around dirt monster, many trails, but i wanna transition more into MX riding when the season starts.

I'm 6'2", 185lbs with gear. 

so my question is, is there any modifications  that are absolutely necessary other than ride time?

I was thinking of trying the SSS front fork conversion from an +06?

Is that even possible with my bike? any places that carry the parts to complete a conversion?

Do some searching. Your question has been asked and answered already many times. Your '01 is about as perfect as can be right out of the box. However it's very possible that your YZ is NOT in need of any "mods" but is in need of some required maintenence. Do some more searching on siezed linkage bearings, siezed chain adjuster bolts, and steering bearings, than you will find the problematic issues with YZ's and what happens with lazy maintenence.

• Like 2

I am NOW a firm believer in anti-sieze,if I would have used that on my tractor blade bolt's I wouldn't be here at the computer nursing my busted up bloody knuckle's. :prof: Get ya sum !!!

• Like 2

How much did you pay for it? where in ca? 

Hey Buddy! i dont know you.

so i got my car in the san francisco bay area, paid 700 for it and got a free aluminum ramp out of it!

it had 2 years in back fees but did include some nice go fast parts.

• Like 1

Hey Buddy! i dont know you.

so i got my car in the san francisco bay area, paid 700 for it and got a free aluminum ramp out of it!

it had 2 years in back fees but did include some nice go fast parts.

Haha. Im always trying to find people to ride with. That seems like a good deal...

Edited by jawknee21

I am 6'3 and 180 pounds with gear.  Just bought a 2002 yz125 and the very first thing I did was get stiffer springs for the forks and a stiffer spring in the rear to handle my weight.  Had it all tuned for my weight and sag set.  It is a completely different bike now and I think its the first thing anyone should do.  MAX weight for stock 125 suspension is 150lbs.

Best things to keep a 125 running crisp,

Keep top end fresh, even by just changing

piston rings

Fresh spark plug

Jetting ( procircuit has a jetting page with

settings that are really good )

Keep inside of pipe clean ( lots of info,

different ways to clean pipes on the net,

and dirty pipes change the heat in the

pipe / metal, and make it run different

than optimum )

Fresh silencer packing ( have seen silencers

with blown out packing lose 2+ hp on the dyno )