Sign in to follow this  

To Part or Repair?

My 1994 yz 250 gave out on me last weekend. After tearing the Jug off and seeing tons of aluminum bits, it is obvious she will need the case split. There was a large amount of trans oil coating the insides... leading me to believe a crankshaft bearing may have given up on me.  

The cylinder will need a replate as there are some nice grooves along the bottom front of the cylinder. 

Other than the obvious, the bike was in good shape. Sure it needs some minor things... chain guide, rear tire could be better and it could benefit from new sprockets and a chain. 

Since parts are getting harder to find (try finding a crankshaft kit) I am debating parting her out. 

Do you think the sum of all parts would net me any decent cash or so I just bite the bullet and rebuild?

part, 1994 yz250 is not a desirable bike in any way really. Unless it has some crazy emotional significance

• Like 1

In perfect shape with a fresh rebuild the bike is only worth 6-700 around here. But every market is different. I'd part it out and go newer

In perfect shape with a fresh rebuild the bike is only worth 6-700 around here. But every market is different. I'd part it out and go newer

In Minn., they go for a little more than that but not much.  OP, I think if you start adding up parts cost IF you can find them, I think you will find you have WAY more into it than it's actual value.  Say goodbye to it.

Here is where I am stuck. If I do part it out...say I get maybe a few hundred dollars... I would still be out a top end on the newer bike..

On this bike.. so far as I am tearing it down. bearings on the chassis look great. Suspension is great (Tech Care Suspension) 

The internals so far look great Clutch basket looks new. 

If I replate and put a new top end in this bike, pop the case to clean and put new crank bearings and seals, I am probably out $400.

Ugh .. kinda torn. Dunno if I can swing a couple grand for a newer bike right now.

IMAG1235.jpg

IMAG1213.jpg

IMAG1240.jpg

IMAG1224.jpg

IMAG1223.jpg

IMAG1234.jpg

The cheapest bike is typically the one you have. You could put $400-$700 into a rebuild and then you have a rebuilt engine on a bike that you are familiar with and like the suspension. Downside, you still have a 19 year old bike. If you part it out you could probably buy a newer 99-02 YZ250 or CR250 for $1,000-$1,500 but you would more that likely have a worn topend and suspension components.

The cheapest bike is typically the one you have. You could put $400-$700 into a rebuild and then you have a rebuilt engine on a bike that you are familiar with and like the suspension. Downside, you still have a 19 year old bike. If you part it out you could probably buy a newer 99-02 YZ250 or CR250 for $1,000-$1,500 but you would more that likely have a worn topend and suspension components.

gonna have to crunch numbers.. It was the big end crank bearing.  The seal was popped out and the bearing is trashed. 

I can tell, even though you asked for opinions, I think you hoped everyone would tell you to FIX IT.  Unfortunately, you had a MAJOR FAILURE that took out a lot of parts.  It IS a damm shame to have something like that happen when the rest of the entire bike is in good shape, de-bugged, etc.  Tough decision for you.  IF you part it out and get something newer, you will get a better bike too.  You can do some research here on TT to decide what years to look for.  There are a couple of model years where certain things (like suspension) took a big step in improvement but if those years are too spendy for you, back up one generation and the prices will drop.   Parts availability is way better on the newer bikes too, as you probably know. 

BTW- Are your cases OK?

I see you live in Michigan.   You get actual winters, like we do.  The riding/racing season IS coming to a close soon.  In that respect, you'll have all winter to work on the finance situation for a newer bike.  Not sure what would be the best time to sell the parts you have, whether fall or spring would work the best. 

Edited by motoxvet
  • Like 1

I can tell, even though you asked for opinions, I think you hoped everyone would tell you to FIX IT.  Unfortunately, you had a MAJOR FAILURE that took out a lot of parts.  It IS a damm shame to have something like that happen when the rest of the entire bike is in good shape, de-bugged, etc.  Tough decision for you.  IF you part it out and get something newer, you will get a better bike too.  You can do some research here on TT to decide what years to look for.  There are a couple of model years where certain things (like suspension) took a big step in improvement but if those years are too spendy for you, back up one generation and the prices will drop.   Parts availability is way better on the newer bikes too, as you probably know. 

BTW- Are your cases OK?

I see you live in Michigan.   You get actual winters, like we do.  The riding/racing season IS coming to a close soon.  In that respect, you'll have all winter to work on the finance situation for a newer bike.  Not sure what would be the best time to sell the parts you have, whether fall or spring would work the best. 

^^^ agree.

I would add though, my understanding is prices on used bikes drop during winter too due to less demand. So if you can swing it, buy the new bike in the middle of winter if you find a great deal, and part out the 94 during riding season.