Sign in to follow this  

Gear lever travel, how much?

Hi people how much travel should the gear lever have before engaging a gear.

I know there have been loads of posts on false neutrals,and jumping out of gear. Mine does none of these, just seems like when you go to snick a gear going up the box you have to really pull a long way to engage, if not it doesn't change gear, downshifts are easy cos u just stamp on the lever.

My other bikes were always easier to shift on.

I'm assuming maybe selector forks or drum are worn?

Just wandered if anyone had come across the cure for this?

Just being lazy and wandering wether it's worth me fixing or not. This Bikes getting expensive now.

Have you adjusted your shifter? Sounds like it needs to be lower. I actually have and issue with mine shifting too easily and my boot gets stuck in the business area going off jumps. I had to move mine up but it made it too much of a chore to click up so I put it back down and I'm just going to live with it as is.

Have you adjusted your shifter? Sounds like it needs to be lower. I actually have and issue with mine shifting too easily and my boot gets stuck in the business area going off jumps. I had to move mine up but it made it too much of a chore to click up so I put it back down and I'm just going to live with it as is.

Yeah I agree totally with you on that, seems like the shifter is always a tooth too high or low for me and my boot, I've even tried different shifters but I think the problem may lay in the transmission itself as its only on the last bit of travel it snicks a gear whereas all my other gears and bikes would engage a lot quicker than 50 % of travel.

Cheers

The shifter was designed for a Korean jiminy cricket. I got a size 10 and my foot is much to large for it. However I have adapted. The bike has some of the best ergonomics and then you got a shifter for a new born baby. Not a very durable motorcycle though. Not by any generous stretch of imagination.

Yeah I agree totally with you on that, seems like the shifter is always a tooth too high or low for me and my boot, I've even tried different shifters but I think the problem may lay in the transmission itself as its only on the last bit of travel it snicks a gear whereas all my other gears and bikes would engage a lot quicker than 50 % of travel.

Cheers

Yep I'm starting too learn that this bike is not as durable as I'd hoped for.

Thinking I'm gonna get rid of it

I've had some of the weirdest things happen. I don't know. I got a note I'm stuck with mine

I've had some of the weirdest things happen. I don't know. I got a note I'm stuck with mine

Technically I'm stuck to as I've got a lot invested in this bike with suspension and what not but if I thought I was in for another big spend like a transmission I would sell and go back to orange brand

2010 and 11 are luck of the draw. There have been some issues of quality control. Know a guy that had a 10 and it came from the factory missing a circlip on one of the gears in the transmission. The dealer verified that and american suzuki offered nothing. I was told if you have gone 20 or so hours with no problem then you most likely will not have any problems concerning the transmission.

Edited by perkybewbs

2010 and 11 are luck of the draw. There have been some issues of quality control. Know a guy that had a 10 and it came from the factory missing a circlip on one of the gears in the transmission. The dealer verified that and american suzuki offered nothing. I was told if you have gone 20 or so hours with no problem then you most likely will not have any problems concerning the transmission.

Mines a 2009 and just seems to have the strangest things go wrong, I love the bike but jeez I'm sick of fixing it every time I ride.

I want to just wash it for once and put it away instead of fixing stuff

I thought the old 7-9 transmission was o.k.?

I'm

Not sure which ones are good and bad but I know the gear change is horrible compared to other bikes . ( wooly is the way to describe the change )

I want it to change like the bolt action on a winchester rifle (precision)