Racing KTM 200 xc-w

Two years ago I bought a new leftover 09  ktm 200 for trail riding and just having fun in the woods. Well sure enough I took up racing harescrambles in a local division in northeast Ohio. I'm nothing special but I really enjoy it. Getting podium most of the time in 125-200 class. All I hear from people is how I need a 250 or 300 now. That it will make me faster and a better racer. If I new I was going to race I would have probably got a 250 xc off the bat. But do I really need something bigger? I weigh 160. I'm on the edge of dropping money into this bike with protection and stuff, or getting rid of it in the spring and picking up a bigger bike. Deep down I feel like what I have is great for me but with so many people ( most probably not experienced) telling me I need something bigger it makes me rethink everyday. If I do keep it, what should I do to it? I'm running rad guards skid plate and bark busters.

The real question is do you feel like you need more power? Are you using all the bikes power all of the time? If not then there is no reason for a bigger bike. Everyone always thinks more power and a bigger engine is the best but in reality a lighter bike that you can use most of the bikes power all the time is better than using 50% of a 250/300. Just my opinion.

Two years ago I bought a new leftover 09  ktm 200 for trail riding and just having fun in the woods. Well sure enough I took up racing harescrambles in a local division in northeast Ohio. I'm nothing special but I really enjoy it. Getting podium most of the time in 125-200 class. All I hear from people is how I need a 250 or 300 now. That it will make me faster and a better racer. If I new I was going to race I would have probably got a 250 xc off the bat. But do I really need something bigger? I weigh 160. I'm on the edge of dropping money into this bike with protection and stuff, or getting rid of it in the spring and picking up a bigger bike. Deep down I feel like what I have is great for me but with so many people ( most probably not experienced) telling me I need something bigger it makes me rethink everyday. If I do keep it, what should I do to it? I'm running rad guards skid plate and bark busters.

I had people telling me the same thing... and to be honest I miss my 200 and 250f. I now ride a 12 250sx. I'm more of a mx guy with trail riding for fun. I really miss my 200 xcw though. best bike I've owned. enough power to go fast and low enough so it doesn't get away to quick

The answer is no. You will be virtually the same speed no matter what size of engine you have. Setup is the key.....

Put some money into your suspension and be happy....

Thanks guys. That is what I think too. Just with so many around me getting newer bigger bikes I start to second guess myself . I could tell you , oh yeah I'm using all the power and running as fast as it can be . But any fast guy could jump on it and kick my a** . Every bike has its down falls for any type of terrain. No one bike is perfect for everything. One might be pretty dang good for most stuff but I only ride 2 different types of trails. I'm always slow in the beginning of a race, but speed up later on , I get in a grove , it just takes a while. If it wasn't for a light bike I may not be able to good as fast in the last half hour. Thanks again for the help

Invest in suspension, you'll be faster on any bike.

Depending on your conditioning, the bigger bike would also require more strength and endurance to maintain the same pace in certain situations.  Something to think about.  I'm a big guy and I could get away with man handling a bigger bike for awhile, but it would really start to wear me down late in longer races which is why I started racing GP's more than XC events and Hare scrambles.  After switching to a lighter 2 stroke, I'm much more inclined to race those longer events and actually enjoy them.

I've had a few friends hop on my 300 and ride it for a bit, they usually come back and wonder what a 200 would be like.  These are guys coming from 450's and already thinking that the 200 2-stroke could be the ticket.

FWIW

I've had a 250 and 3 300's and recently bought a 200 XC.  I was slower on the 300's than the 250 and I think I'll be even faster on the 200.  The 200 is already my favorite bike ever.

I just went down to a 200xcw from a 250xc this year. Taking a little getting used to running the gears so much more than my 250 though. The light weight is great along with super nimble in fast flowing sections

472a7648-4e1b-4717-a2ef-27c157c35ca4_zps

Edited by gruberyz