Sign in to follow this  

300 XC vs XCW

I am new to the two stroke and am getting ready to purchase my first 2 stroke after riding a buddies 300 the other day- felt like a mountain bike compared to my 450 xcw. Just wondering if anyone can explain the differences between the 300 xc verses the 300 xcw. Is it the gearing that is different or is there more in the engine, suspension and other parts? Which would be better for tight single track/woods riding. Just trying to gather up as much info and experience as possible before making the plunge. Thanks all ahead of time.

I am in the same spot.  I have until the 2014s hit the showrooms to decide.

Essentially, from what I gathered, differences are:

XC                                              XC-W

Lights:                              No (but wiring is there)              Yes

Suspensions Front:          Closed Cartridges                     Open Cartridges

Suspension Rear:            Linked                                       Not linked

Transmission:                  1st and second are a little wider on the XC-W

Ground Clearance:           A few mm more on the XC

Seat height:                      A few mm more on the XC

Rear hub:                          A little wider on the XC

Price:                                Same

It's probably not an exhaustive list, that's what I have found out thus far.

It all comes down to knowing what type of riding you will do the most.

You have an advantage on me in this regards as I am new to off-road.

Good luck with your quest for the ideal version. :-)

Just one opinion, but I would take the XC due to the linked rear suspension and the front fork.

Probably ought to determine what sort of riding the OP does before making that suggestion. Is he fast enough to see the benefit of the linked rear? Is the plush ride more important? Is his terrain fast chop, bouldery hill climbs, dirt trails, ...? I chose the xcw specifically for the PDS rear and wide ratio transmission because of the type of riding I do. Both are great for their intended riding styles and have advantages over the other in certain areas.

It would be best to test ride each. That being said, I prefer the XC due to personal experience. I am a senior trail rider, and I find the linked rear to be the better suspension in most all circumstances. The closed cartridge fork is, likewise, excellent. You do not need to be an A class rider to enjoy great suspension. The XCW is a great bike, and has it's advantages. It is a tough choice.

• Like 1

I am new to the two stroke and am getting ready to purchase my first 2 stroke after riding a buddies 300 the other day- felt like a mountain bike compared to my 450 xcw. Just wondering if anyone can explain the differences between the 300 xc verses the 300 xcw. Is it the gearing that is different or is there more in the engine, suspension and other parts? Which would be better for tight single track/woods riding. Just trying to gather up as much info and experience as possible before making the plunge. Thanks all ahead of time.[/quot

I just traded in my 12 450 xcw on a 13 300 xcw. The difference in weight is amazing the 300 xcw is an incredible bike. I wanted the xcw because I really like the pds and the xcws come with a headlight and speedo and I think the xcws are valved a little softer also. Either way you can't go wrong.

Having lighting coils and wiring is one of the XC-W advantages. No, you can't go wrong with either bike!

It would be best to test ride each. That being said, I prefer the XC due to personal experience. I am a senior trail rider, and I find the linked rear to be the better suspension in most all circumstances. The closed cartridge fork is, likewise, excellent. You do not need to be an A class rider to enjoy great suspension. The XCW is a great bike, and has it's advantages. It is a tough choice.

I went with the XC for the very same reasons as you. The suspension on the XC is very good. I also prefer the transmission as well. I also have a 450 XCW and it to is a great bike.

The linkage is better for fast choppy terrain like that found on a moto track, or desert cross grain. Other than that, I don't feel like it offers any other advantages. The brosure is wrong with the seat heights. The XCW is taller. I rarely find myself in 1st gear, so the gear split between 1st and second on the XCW is a non issue for me. Everyone says the CC forks are more versatile and better for fast paced riding. I know a lot of top desert guys that actually prefer the OC forks for everything except Harcore moto. I'm gonna send my XCW suspension out next week for a revalve....and I'm gonna be curious to see how it differs from my XC (although my XC is an 11' so the rear end will be the same).

In my honest opinion, unless you are a serious racer....the best one between the 2 is the one you can find, or get the cheapest. The PDS is definitely an advantage from a maintenance standpoint, but then again, if you are the kind of person that only gets out a couple times a month...the ease of maintenance might also be a non issue for you.

• Like 1

XC has them too...just no light stock. Plug and play.

Oops, my bad. I was thinking of the 350 XCF, which does not come equipped for lighting. 

The brosure is wrong with the seat heights. The XCW is taller.

Interestingly, KTM's Website specifies the following:

XC-W                       XC

Seat height unloaded       960 mm (37.8 in)     992 mm (39.06 in)

Ground clearance unloaded  355 mm (13.98 in)   385 mm (15.16 in)

Higher seat and ground clearance for the XC :excuseme:

Edited by hopla

Interestingly, KTM's Website specifies the following:

XC-W                       XC

Seat height unloaded       960 mm (37.8 in)     992 mm (39.06 in)

Ground clearance unloaded  355 mm (13.98 in)   385 mm (15.16 in)

Higher seat and ground clearance for the XC :excuseme:

Andrew is right, the W is taller. A buddy of mine has a 2013 W and I have a 2013 XC so I'm not just talking out of my :moon:.

The XC tranny is great. The '13 forks are really great. The link is good...the shock is....meh not great on either xc or xcw . If you like wp shocks then youre good...if you luke YZ or other japanese shocks, kyb, you might not love the shock. You can run lights on the XC .

The XC handling and ergos is great.

I dont like gappy xc-w trannies