Anybody have experience with the Works Connection Skid Plate?

I need a serious skid plate for my CRF450R due to the extreme trails that I abuse myself and my poor bike on. I've been looking at many different kinds of skid plates discovering that most will not protect the sides of my engine during a side impact on rock. The Works Connection Off Road Skid plate looks very tough, seems to have decent reviews that I've seen but I would like to hear from anyone here who has actual experience with one. For $200 I want to be sure it is all it should be. I've contacted Works Connection and they've confirmed that the model they make for the CRF450X will fit my CRF450R with only a possible small issue around the break lever. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377360102.913899.jpg

I need a serious skid plate for my CRF450R due to the extreme trails that I abuse myself and my poor bike on. I've been looking at many different kinds of skid plates discovering that most will not protect the sides of my engine during a side impact on rock. The Works Connection Off Road Skid plate looks very tough, seems to have decent reviews that I've seen but I would like to hear from anyone here who has actual experience with one. For $200 I want to be sure it is all it should be. I've contacted Works Connection and they've confirmed that the model they make for the CRF450X will fit my CRF450R with only a possible small issue around the break lever. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377360102.913899.jpg

Pitt bull, I have the Works Connection skid plate on my 09 CRF450R and I would recommend it to anyone. Fits perfect, looks good, and protects the bike/engine. Not a scratch on the lower section of the frame or engine, and the L/H side small section engine protector works well

The WC skid plate looks good on the bike, not obtrusive, sleek, and light weight.   

Hope this helps.

JL

Pitt bull, I have the Works Connection skid plate on my 09 CRF450R and I would recommend it to anyone. Fits perfect, looks good, and protects the bike/engine. Not a scratch on the lower section of the frame or engine, and the L/H side small section engine protector works well

The WC skid plate looks good on the bike, not obtrusive, sleek, and light weight.

Hope this helps.

JL

Thank you, that's the kind of feed back I'm looking for!

I'm already struggling with continuing to try and make my CRF450R into a serious mountain machine instead of just cutting my losses and buying a KTM300 XCW or maybe even a trials bike. I've done so many mods already though and the bike is really great to ride. These mods are staring to cost $$$$ so I need to get the best bang for my $, the wife is starting to pay attention to my habits. LOL

Thank you, that's the kind of feed back I'm looking for!

I'm already struggling with continuing to try and make my CRF450R into a serious mountain machine instead of just cutting my losses and buying a KTM300 XCW or maybe even a trials bike. I've done so many mods already though and the bike is really great to ride. These mods are staring to cost $$$$ so I need to get the best bang for my $, the wife is starting to pay attention to my habits. LOL

I completely understand.. I think they all do. My solution to that same problem was to get the wife involved in riding, and buy her a bike. I bought her an 03 CRF230F and completely restored/rebuilt it from the bottom up, looks and rides like a 2013. Now she is happy and likes to go riding with me and my friends. If they feel left out when you go riding all day with your friends on the weekends, they will come to resent the bike life that we all so much enjoy. 

Good luck with the skid plate project. And, good luck with the other issue as well.

JL

0530131101b.jpg

0530131110.jpg

0602131112b.jpg

I have an '11 CRF450R. I put a works connection plate on the bottom and thank my self every time a rock hits it or I slid over a boulder. I personally think its worth the money! Good fit and easy to take on and off for cleaning and oil changes. My plate has the holes all over and not the smooth bottom one you showed at the top, but either way it will be a smart move.

You can tell your Wife that this plate protects parts that are way more expensive if broken! It worked for me!!!

.....My solution to that same problem was to...
That is one of my plans as well. She's expressed the desire to do it, now I just have to make it happen. Very nice job on your wife's bike by the way! I need to get her on something easy to ride with an electric start, something that won't scare her either as she's not exactly a tough girl and does not seem to have much adrenaline running through her veins either.
I have an '11 CRF450R. I put a works connection plate on the bottom and thank my self every time a rock hits it or I slid over a boulder. I personally think its worth the money! Good fit and easy to take on and off for cleaning and oil changes. My plate has the holes all over and not the smooth bottom one you showed at the top, but either way it will be a smart move.You can tell your Wife that this plate protects parts that are way more expensive if broken! It worked for me!!!
Thanks, looks like I will proceed with buying one once I find a Canadian dealer. You say you have one with holes, I like that idea better than the smooth one, these things over heat easy up here due to the tight trails and the fact that I rarely get out of 1st gear. WC shows only the smooth one, I was going to mill cooling holes in it before mounting it. Cool that you've got one with it already done.My wife's heard it all LOL, over the last 6 years I've got over $30,000 tied up in my 07 GSXR1000 and also have a 2010 Victory Hammer S that's upgraded a bit as well. She catching on fast LOL.I bought this bike and a YZ250F in AZ last year for a steal with the intention of selling the YZ up here to help pay for the CR. that's how I managed to convince her that I needed another bike habit. I also a few years ago bought an enclosed trailer which I customized which also makes her frown every time I hook up to it.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377367875.914434.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377368563.591589.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377368574.844838.jpg Edited by Pittbull

That is one of my plans as well. She's expressed the desire to do it, now I just have to make it happen. Very nice job on your wife's bike by the way! I need to get her on something easy to ride with an electric start, something that won't scare her either as she's not exactly a tough girl and does not seem to have much adrenaline running through her veins either.

Thanks, looks like I will proceed with buying one once I find a Canadian dealer.

My wife's heard it all LOL, over the last 6 years I've got over $30,000 tied up in my 07 GSXR1000 and also have a 2010 Victory Hammer S that's upgraded a bit as well. She catching on fast LOL.

I bought this bike and a YZ250F in AZ last year for a steal with the intention of selling the YZ up here to help pay for the CR. that's how I managed to convince her that I needed another bike habit. I also a few years ago bought an enclosed trailer which I customized which also makes her frown every time I hook up to it.

Pitt bull,

You were not kidding with those bikes... very Nice.! Also like the hauler with the white and black checkered floor. All nice man toys..!! 

Rock on my man... thumbs up.!

Pitt bull,

You were not kidding .....Rock on my man... thumbs up.!

Thanks, you only live once. Trick is to not live to hard so that you can continue living past 50!

I put one on my 2012 CRF450x. It fit right up as intended, looks great, and is easy to pull off and put back on when needed. The only thing I didn't like is the amount of engine noise it bounces back up at me. I mostly eliminated that by coating the inside area between the frame rails with a heavy layer of silicone. I've rock bounced it pretty good a few times in one of our creek crossings and it's done nothing but put some scratches in it. Well worth the $200 IMO. I know there's some less expensive plates out there that would hold up just as well but I love the amount of fabrication work on the WC plate, which justified the extra cost to me. It doesn't look like a corn shovel bolted to the bottom of my bike.

Works Connection skid plates look nice. I was trying to decide between that and flatland racing. I ended up with flatland racing one. Both offer good protection.

I have had one on my DRZ 400 for several years and it is holding up to the abuse of trail riding I will be buying another for the CR250 I just bought.