Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone know what this part is? '94 Ranger 2WD 2.3L

Last week it was not starting at all, it was turning over perfectly but would not start.  After taking a look in the hood I noticed this hose, at the very front of the driver's side was cracked on the side.  I clamped this to it and it started up right away.

It is now not starting again and I have a feeling it is this hose, but what is this hose?

hose.jpg

I don't remember seeing anything like this on any of my Rangers, but they were all V6's.  Try over at rangerpowersports.

Charcoal canister...

Yup. It's for emissions. You probably had a bad vacuum leak with the crack.

• Like 1

Yup, it was just a coincidence, thing would crank and crank but wouldn't start again. Finally I jumped it and it started. I've been starting it every day now so it starts, but if I let it sit for a couple days and try, it won't.

I went to auto zone and they did the battery test and it came showed that the battery is okay.

check compression, my work truck was running fine and all of a sudden at a job site wouldnt start, just turned and turned over but didnt start... company sent it in to the shop and the rings where shot had no compression... i still dont understand it never burned oil or lost power... supervisor went out to the shop and they proved that was the problem to him, so who knows

Yup, it was just a coincidence, thing would crank and crank but wouldn't start again. Finally I jumped it and it started. I've been starting it every day now so it starts, but if I let it sit for a couple days and try, it won't.

I went to auto zone and they did the battery test and it came showed that the battery is okay.

I would still suspect the battery as a problem.  When ran everyday, the battery stays charged and when checked at autozone it looked ok even under load, but the battery may have a slow internal short, so that after a few days of sitting the voltage drops.  With low voltage, some cars will turn over but the computer sees the low voltage signal and the will not let the car start.  May feeling is, if the battery is a few years old, it is usually a cheap starting point.  Batteries are wierd, I have had some go 6 or 7 years with no issue and then suddenly die and I have had others that go after only a short time, 18 months in one case.

• Like 1

I would still suspect the battery as a problem. When ran everyday, the battery stays charged and when checked at autozone it looked ok even under load, but the battery may have a slow internal short, so that after a few days of sitting the voltage drops. With low voltage, some cars will turn over but the computer sees the low voltage signal and the will not let the car start. May feeling is, if the battery is a few years old, it is usually a cheap starting point. Batteries are wierd, I have had some go 6 or 7 years with no issue and then suddenly die and I have had others that go after only a short time, 18 months in one case.

I think you're right. It just doesn't make sense for it to be anything else due to the symptoms. I'm just going to change the battery right now. It may also mean I have a drain somewhere.