KLR Sprocket Carrier Bearing Question

OK, I'm an XR650L rider, but I've grafted a KLR650 rear wheel onto my XRL (now known as FrankenPig).

9573317800_40972ddd86_b.jpg

It wasn't a simple "cut new spacers" kind of project, but it's done and seems to work well even though I've got less than 100 miles on it so far.  But here's the question - what kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the carrier bearing, assuming that you're doing mostly paved miles and are staying out of sand and mud up to the axles? 

Even though I replaced the well-used factory bearing with a double-sealed Japanese (Nachi) bearing I noticed that the carrier doesn't seat fully against the middle spacer until one tightens up the axle, presumeably compressing the cush rubbers the last millimeter between the hub and the carrier.  If that's the case doesn't this put an axial load on the carrier bearing?  Just wonderin'.

Edited by LexLeroy

the cush drive  has 2 bearings in it (601 & 601A), there is also another one bearing on the brake side (601B). in between the 2 cush drive bearings there is a small bushing that transfers the load between the 2 inner races... it has a habit of falling out when you are not looking.

edit....   think it's 42036

Hub.jpg

Edited by Beezerboy

Bearing 601 is pressed into the hub.  Bearing 601A is pressed into the carrier casting up hard against a machined shoulder.  It's the 601A bearing that I'm curious about.  When the hub and carrier, with all three of the of the spacers but without the cush rubbers, are tightened together there's about 1/4" of side-to-side play at the outer edge of the sprocket.  When everything is assembled with the cush rubbers the side-to-side play goes away, it being taken up by the cush rubbers being compressed between the hub and the sprocket carrier.  That pre-loads the 601A bearing's outer race to the left.  Single-row radial ball bearings aren't designed to handle large axial thrust loads, so I'm wondering if the way that they're used here causes them to wear out prematurely.

Later that day -

A little more research tells me that when a KLR's rear sprocket gets wobbly a new and unworn cush rubber will tighten things back up, assuming that the bearing in the carrier is still OK.  I'll accept it as an article of faith that Kawasaki's engineers know what they're doing and that any side load imposed on the bearing by sqeezing the cush rubber between the hub and the sprocket carrier is well within some pre-defined specification. Later guys....

Edited by LexLeroy

I don't think so... you should be able to remove the rubber part completely & the axle, spacers, bushing, etc should snug up with no play. (obviously there would be play between the cush parts).  if it doesn't do that then there is a spacer or, or needs help somehow, or bushing that is wrong... it should not depend on the rubber to make the fit.

edit:...  now the sprocket can wobble... especially is there is wear in the cush rubber... that's "normal"... even when new there is some give & take... that's how it works, but the wheel itself should have no play

the bearings have very little side load... they are OK for 10s of thousands of miles as long as you don't submarine the thing too long

Edited by Beezerboy