Handle bar question

Has anyone taken the crossbar off a set of rentals. Like the look of the fat bar but my kx 450 came stock with renthal bars. Thoughts on removing the bar. Make the bar way weaker?

Im fairly sure that the cross bar provides alot of strength to the bar. I wouldn't bother risking it for looks. Anyway if the bar pad matches the bike I think those bars look sweet.

Edited by owainyz03

So I was doing more and more every lap. Im riding a crf150r btw. And so there was this double double section I wanted to try so I went for it and the first double I cleard it easy but the second one I cased it and somehow went flying in the air. I dont really recall how I went flying but anyways I went down and got kinda lucky. I didnt hurt or break anything. So I bent my bars. I am looking to get renthal fat bars for my crf150r. But idk what "bend" I should get for it. So anyone know what bend I should???

1377397997362.jpg

My buddy had protapers on his 150rb and they felt pretty good.

Do you know anything about the different kinds of bends?

Here is where you can learn all about bar bends and choose one for your bike.  http://www.renthal.com/File/fit_my_bike_process.asp?zone=USA&biketype=Off%20Road&manufacturer=HONDA&model=CRF%20150R&bikedate=2012

Keep in mind, if you go with fat bars (highly recommend Renthal Twinwalls because we have yet to bend any bar) then you will need 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapters like this: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/1316/-/3154/Tusk-Universal-Big-Bar-Clamp-Kit

If you want the exact same hight on your bars as your original setup, you will have to find a bar that has less height to compensate for the height added by the adapter.  If you want the bars to be shorter, you can cut them to the same size you have now.  Hope that helps.

Yes It does! Thanks! What did ya thank about my crash? Hahs

Actually im still kind of confused... lol

I need to get new handlebars since mine are bent. But im either getting renthal fatbars or pro taper 1/8 bars. But it gives me the options for all these different types of bends and idk what type of bend would be good for my crf150r?????? Anybody know???

I race a 150rb and really it's whatever you want, do you like a bar that's high or a bar that's in your lap... Do you want something that's flat out or pulled back into your lap? Look at the different measurements and decided what you think would help you.

The bend is exactly what it sounds like, the amount of bend that rises up and also the amount of sweep back it has. All the bends will literally feel great once you have time to get use to them. You should base your bar bend to your height. Look at the rise in the bars. The tallest bend will be for someone that is 6'+. The middle bend will be for someone around like 5'8" ish... The flatter bends like the Carmichael version that most bar manufactures offer, will be for someone that is 5'5" and less. The handlebar websites have the measurements for the rise and sweep. 

A good rule of thumb is that when you stand straight up on your pegs, when reaching for the bars you should be able to just get your fingers over them. 

Edited by Jarrett H

If you like the look of the fat bar. Then get one.

Yes It does! Thanks! What did ya thank about my crash? Hahs

Crash didn't come through as a video. Regardless, we are glad you are OK! If you are still confused, feel free to ask questions.

Not sure how tall you are, but if you are on the tall side for that bike, you could try a set of mini bike bars, no joke, they are usually $20 and add a couple inches rise, my buddy had them on a CR85RB and loved them.

Otherwise, i'd go with a CR high bend bar if you have narrow shoulders, or a KX high if you have wider shoulders.

The cross bar is there for a reason .

Without the cross bar, you will bend them over time and they will bend for sure if you crash.

Could look cool if you bend them down, custom look. So I say go for it..... Kidding.....

Go buy some fat bars, problem solved

Has anyone taken the crossbar off a set of rentals. Like the look of the fat bar but my kx 450 came stock with renthal bars. Thoughts on removing the bar. Make the bar way weaker?

I bought a set of Pro Taper "Contour" fat bars with no cross bar for my CRF450R. Very strong.