What rear tire should I get for my DRZ400SM?

My rear tire is balding... front seems fine. They are the same as the stock Dunlop tires I believe.

Should I get a 140/70/17 or can I go with a wider rear tire? I ride 90/10 Street/Dirt but would like SOME capability to do some offroad adventures. Links to good priced tires? 

Thanks!

A 150 width will give you more options. Certain brands a 160 will fit but there's no gain other than tire selection for running one that big. Avon makes an offroad worthy SM tire but they aren't cheap and wear rather quickly on the street.

What are the implications of using a wider rear tire (150) rather than stock size?

140 width tire is pretty uncommon, by running a 150, you have more options on what brand of tire and what type of compound you can run.

140 width tire is pretty uncommon, by running a 150, you have more options on what brand of tire and what type of compound you can run.

Ok I guess what I mean is how does it affect fitment on the wheel. How does the shape of the tire affect handling etc...

You won't run into any problems with a 150, a 160 can sometimes get chain bite depending on the brand and how much slack is in the chain. I've always ran a 150 rear so I really can't vouch for the performance vs a 140. 

Seems like sooner or later most riders switch to the 150-60 rather than the 140-70 for all the reasons listed above by others.

The DRZ rear is 4.5" wide while  most after market wheels are 4 1/8" and even with those they recomend a 150-60.

The down side to a 160 as previously mentioned is that the tire might rub [nick] the chain. If you've done some engine mods you might like the 160. If you go for the 160 and it rubs the fix would be loosten the spokes on one side and tighten them on the other side.

Tony

Im not 100% sure with tyres that are ok for offroad but  ive heard good things about avon distanzias for duel sport.

I know for the road you cant go wrong with bridgestone battlax 003rs, dunlop alpha 12s, michelin pilot power but these are more sports bike tyres so they most likely wouldnt go that well on the dirt, all come in 150/60. Alot of the motard riders in our riding group have goldspeed ultra street sports tyres and rate them as one of the best motard tyres out there but im not sure if they are available for where you live for a reasonable price (about 200 euro for a set), these are a narrow 160 and fit the drz400sm.

Edited by Romie

i normally run dunlop alpha 12 in a 150/60 they are great, i recently changed to a diablo rain 160 and it is terrible,what ever you do,DO NOT put a 160 on a drz,it doesn't work. 150 tyres are what you need

i normally run dunlop alpha 12 in a 150/60 they are great, i recently changed to a diablo rain 160 and it is terrible,what ever you do,DO NOT put a 160 on a drz,it doesn't work. 150 tyres are what you need

Not every tire is created equal. Some 160's are smaller and of larger than others.

Every SM before 07 came with a 4.25in rim. Everything 07 and newer came with the 4.5in. Not that It made a lot of difference though. I had a shinko raven on the rear several years ago and it was close to 165mm. Not every 160 will cause problems. Chain rub is not a concern unless its literally chunking the rubber

Edited by 707drz

Not every tire is created equal. Some 160's are smaller and of larger than others.

Every SM before 07 came with a 4.25in rim. Everything 07 and newer came with the 4.5in. Not that It made a lot of difference though. I had a shinko raven on the rear several years ago and it was close to 165mm. Not every 160 will cause problems. Chain rub is not a concern unless its literally chunking the rubber

i agree that different tyres have different widths but the issue is not width,a drz will fit a 160 with no chain rub,the issue is a 160 is generally designed for a 5 inch rim,you have to squeeze a 160 onto the 4.5 inch rim,that completely changes the profile of the tyre and it no longer matches the front,the other issue is height a 160 is much taller than a 150 and when you squeeze it on to a 4.5 inch rim it becomes even taller again,i forget exact measurement but the 160 becomes something like 25mm taller than a 150 and this throws your steering geometry out big time,especially if you are a light guy with very little rear sag. i've just spent the last 3 months trying to solve why my bike handles so badly with a 160 and i believe this is the reason

I agree with DG400SM

I run the 160 Raven only on my 5" wheels and on my CBR and theyr'e perfect. Stick like glue,last a long time and can be had for prices ranging from $75 to $90 for the 160 DRZ size. That's a deal.But even on my 5" wheels I had to move the rims so that the tires are  3/8" from the swingarm on the rotor side to avoid chain rub on the srocket side.

On my 4.5"& 4.25"  rims I run the 150-60 Shinko Stealth 003. The 003 is a stickier tire  than the Raven so it doesn't last as long but since it's stickier, it works pretty much the same as the larger Raven and it also is reasonably priced[really inexpensive].

On the fronts I run the 003s on every thing including my CBR.

Tony

Thanks for the responses guys, I will do some more shopping. Do y'all just have a mechanic install the tire for you? I've never done tires before, I'm a noob.

I like to think I'm a mechanic, part time anyways. Cheapest way to get your tire changed is to pull the wheel off yourself and bring it to a shop, that way you're not paying them the labor of removing it. Depending on how much they charge for a tube it might also be cheaper to bring your own.

I like to think I'm a mechanic, part time anyways. Cheapest way to get your tire changed is to pull the wheel off yourself and bring it to a shop, that way you're not paying them the labor of removing it. Depending on how much they charge for a tube it might also be cheaper to bring your own.

If your unsure about doing it, go to Utube. They have video after video on make it your self stands, technique and tools needed. I'd say there is at least 50 such videos.

Best advice I can give is ..remember..the tire is rubber and much like a rubber band it does have a tendency to spring back whatever tools your using if your not careful.

tony