Sign in to follow this  

Lacing up 16/19 rims on an small wheel bike?

Well I have been looking for an Expert locally for a while but they are either well used or asking too much.

There are however lots of small wheel bikes so I'm thinking of buying one lacing up rims.

Whats a good rim/spoke combo for a reasonable price? And I guess I would need the longer swingarm to.

Thanks.

You won't need the RB swingarm, unless you want marginally more stability. The big wheel works fine, with sufficient clearance. Move the forks down in the clamps to RB spec. The spring rates are one size  lighter on the R, though, which could be a necessary expense. Others may correct me, but I believe the R is set up for a rider weight of about 120-130 lbs for racing MX, and the RB for a rider of up to 145 lbs or so. I ride my RB on mountain trails on stock springs (no racing), and they are adequate, but not quite ideal, for my 165 lb weight.

I've been pricing rims and spokes to lace an 18" rear (will have to extend the swingarm) and 21" front, and it looks like close to $500 from Buchanan's. The 16" & 19" Excels look to be about the same price, maybe a few $ cheaper. Let us know if you find better prices.

I weigh 200lbs so I need springs regardless. I also read that if the wheel is adjusted far back the RB swingarm is not necessaty.

BTOsports has decent prices on Excel rims. check it out.

Good prices. Unfortunately, 21" front & 18" rear need to be custom drilled for the CRF150R/B because of their non-standard spoke count (32 rather than 36.) TwoWheelTom has good things to say about extended swingarms for greater stability, but then his bike is stuffed full of CRF250X Service Honda goodness too!

Edit: you put a burr where it needed to be put! I'm excited: found a front 21x1.85 & rear 18x2.15 pre-drilled 32 spoke Excels for $91.76 & $103.46 respectively at Dennis Kirk. It's gonna cost me about half what I though it would to lace up my new wheels! Thank you for stirring up the motivation to look! 

DK also has 19x1.85 for $96.21 & 16x1.85 (too narrow?) for $119.66. Excel spoke sets about $70.

Edited by Old Plonker

Once I do get one it will be set up for trail/woods riding and ice racing duty. I'll probably use the stock swingarm for now.

Look for my post below, on the FMF Snap for trail riding. Some folks on bigger bikes say the Snap is snake oil, but on the little CRF it is magic!

Also, for a bigger guy, opening up the cockpit with RSW triple-clamps and risers is worth looking into. I've got 'em and they are worth the cost. They raise the bars about an inch and a half, and move them forward almost three inches. PMB Fastway 3 pegs move the pegs down and back, but only about 1/2" and pretty pricey at $135. I lucked out: my bike already had them.

Edited by Old Plonker

I have seen the snap before but at $99 seems very pricey for what it is. I can water jet one out of stainless for pennies. Tripple clamp and bars for sure.

Thanks for the input Plonker.

Old Plonker...correct me if I am wrong, but the crf150r and crf150rb front wheel is 28 spoke not 32. The rear wheel is 32. I have been down this road as well as I use a cr85 fork and front wheel on one of my sub 200 lb, xr200rs. I went the buchanans route with a custom 28 spoke excel rim 21 inch and custom spokes.

Old Plonker...correct me if I am wrong, but the crf150r and crf150rb front wheel is 28 spoke not 32. The rear wheel is 32. I have been down this road as well as I use a cr85 fork and front wheel on one of my sub 200 lb, xr200rs. I went the buchanans route with a custom 28 spoke excel rim 21 inch and custom spokes.

Ooops! Right you are. Thanks for the heads-up. That leaves the rear rim: it's a dimpled 32 hole Excel. It may not be compatible with the Honda hub, though. Waiting for a call back on that.