Broken foot in Gaerne (pic)

Nothing against Gaerne, I have had many pairs and will continue to use them when I'm back racing. I prefer sg10's as I find they fit me the best and I feel very well protected in them. The boots I was wearing were brand new with one other ride on them.

I've seen a lot of threads come up lately asking what type of boot you should buy, so take this as a reminder that even if you buy top of the line boots, injury can still happen. Can't imagine the damage had I been wearing a lesser boot.

Being a struggling privateer racing off-road and endurocross against the top pro racers, I don't cheap out on protective gear and buy what fits me best while keeping me protected. Would this of happened in a pair of Sidis or A stars? I'd guess yes.

I don't know if these pictures are suitable for everyone, I think they are just fine but just in case you don't like seeing injury's of any sort, this is your warning :)

1377373040926.jpg

1377373054509.jpg

• Like 1

Ouch! that's going to be saw, wishing you a fast recovery.

Sg10's , came up short, no crash........ shattered calcaneous , two broken ankles 11 screws and 5" plate, cadaver bone , in just the left foot. This pic is 3 years later. I feel my A-stars have more support than Gaerne (which I loved). This kind of impact, the difference is minute between top of the line boots. Jmo.1377375750748.jpg

Ouch, I was thinking of trying out some new sidis but just went with what I knew.

I don't know exactly what I broke yet, I'm seeing the surgeon again on Thursday and getting a copy of my xrays, I'll find out the names of what bones I did in.

At least I'm on the mend now!

My girlfriend has been with me threw a lot of moto ups and downs, travels and sleeps in the van at races ect. Here she is cleaning the pins and re-bandaging!

1377671204529.jpg

• Like 8

Not the best pictures I thought, but the x-rays I got. Was hoping for the before surgery ones too. I did get a copy of the ct scan as well. And on the disc there is a weird 3D animated foot picture that is neat but can't imagine its my foot, not sure.

1240059_10153161704025062_726013646_n_zp

970615_10153161706990062_595370183_n_zps

Edited by small_and_fast

Does anyone know the rules about getting this wet? Have been keeping it out of the tub for the first few weeks with all the bandaging and splint on it. Now I'm not wearing the splint or bandaging the pin holes. Last time I showered (using the shower seat) I decided to put my full leg in and it was great. Got very wet, I didn't die so assuming it's ok?

Here's a paper I got with some description of the injury as well.

015bdbe9-ed4b-4c81-8a18-04682f36e371_zps

My girlfriend has been with me threw a lot of moto ups and downs, travels and sleeps in the van at races ect. Here she is cleaning the pins and re-bandaging!

There's a keeper!

I also suffered a nasty foot break(s)...boot was Fox Instinct although I don't think that had much to do with it lol....get better soon...I am 5 months post op and running daily now...

photo_zps8f611257.png

• Like 1

I also suffered a nasty foot break(s)...boot was Fox Instinct although I don't think that had much to do with it lol....get better soon...I am 5 months post op and running daily now...

I've always been a big runner and sprinter, but lately have been spending more time on my spin bike for long distance. Sprints, hills and skip rope will come back in time! I'm still getting some workout in but am pretty limited to what I can do. Glad your back up and going, hope I get there soon to! Pins come out Oct 3rd. 

Screenshot2013-09-26at120900PM_zps667d16

I've always been a big runner and sprinter, but lately have been spending more time on my spin bike for long distance. Sprints, hills and skip rope will come back in time! I'm still getting some workout in but am pretty limited to what I can do. Glad your back up and going, hope I get there soon to! Pins come out Oct 3rd.

Posted Image

sounds like your living the dream privateers are awesome :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Pins are out! In an air cast. Surgeon said to treat it like a broken bone, holes need to fill in. No weight bearing and see me in a month.

Heres a few pictures. One is of the right pins coming out. My graphics sponsor (motograffix) sent me up an awesome set of decals, and a buddy made me this really cool water jet cut out for me.

1380920411130.jpg

1380920457655.jpg

1380920475687.jpg

• Like 1

The little ratchets for taking out those screws are fun lol....Glad to see you are making progress!!!!

So I'm weight bearing now, surgeon said to start physio and weight bear as tolerated .I pushed it a bit much in the first few days and it swelled up like a balloon. But I'm keeping it down a lot now and walking with crutches.

I have been doing some limping and walking on it in the house with no crutches. That's what caused the bad swelling and pain at first. Afraid I might set myself back doing that so trying to take it easy.

1384883825214.jpg

Nothing against Gaerne, I have had many pairs and will continue to use them when I'm back racing. I prefer sg10's as I find they fit me the best and I feel very well protected in them. The boots I was wearing were brand new with one other ride on them.

I've seen a lot of threads come up lately asking what type of boot you should buy, so take this as a reminder that even if you buy top of the line boots, injury can still happen. Can't imagine the damage had I been wearing a lesser boot.

Being a struggling privateer racing off-road and endurocross against the top pro racers, I don't cheap out on protective gear and buy what fits me best while keeping me protected. Would this of happened in a pair of Sidis or A stars? I'd guess yes.

I don't know if these pictures are suitable for everyone, I think they are just fine but just in case you don't like seeing injury's of any sort, this is your warning :)

that's bad man. Get well soon! We should make some boots out of complete steel to prevent this from happening. I'm serious btw

I'm getting stronger and healing. Just met with my surgeon yesterday, I'm told I may be in line to have a joint fused in my ankle. Apparently the joint space is minimal and causing the issue. Have been experiencing a lot of pain in the joint and it I feel as if it's holding me back from getting to the next step of recovery.

I will ride it out for awhile and not get it fused unless it seems like the only option. I'm told it won't take my motion up and down much, but will effect my side to side rotation. Time will tell.

X-ray :

ScreenShot2013-12-13at43701PM_zps0c6a3e0

Joint in question (same X-ray as above) :

ScreenShot2013-12-13at44544PM_zps4dfe40d