Sign in to follow this  

valve question

Hello, another question

So After I cleaned my carb put it all together it would start. Would not even start jump starting. I was pulled by a side by side and I could throw it in second and it would run but as soon as I let off the throttle a little bit it would die. Otherwise wont run at all.

So I checked the timing, 29 pins. But now the valves seem WAY too tight. On my feeler gauge it goes .08 at the lowest and that has resistance on all 4 valves. And the last time I checked they were within spec or close too anyway I wasnt too sure because it was my first time doing it. 

So my question is why would the valves be so tight all of a sudden It doesnt make sense. 

There is 40 hours on this bike, it has a new piston according to PO. When I first got it it started easy, ran good. But the balancer weight was off causing breather hose to be blocked and blowing the valve cover seal. When I put the weight and sprocket inline with the dots and buttoned everything back up it ran very lean. Wouldnt idle unless choke was on. So I cleaned the carb, didnt take anything out but used carb cleaner and compressed air. Then backed out the fuel screw at 2.5 turns out. Tried and would not start and now valves seem way out and im confused. There have been 0 hours practically on the bike since the last time I checked the valves?

Need some help guys im quite stumped :banghead:

Scrap the valve part :bonk:  used wrong sized feeler gauges. smallest one is .008 inches and it fit in the exhaust with minimal drag. Dont have correct sizes. Anyway bike still wont come close to starting and I am fairly confident valves are okay. Anyone have any input from the bike info I previously gave? Get a shop to see whats wrong?

Still cant get this guys.. been at it for two days straight. From lots of searching many people have swapped flywheels and it works? Im just curious because the bike hasnt been the same since I removed it. How can I test its magnetic abilities? Anyone have a spare one willing to sell? need some help..

Okay guys... I am leaning towards there being a spark issue. Just need to track it down. I uploaded a video of my current spark from pushing it with my hand, I am not entirely sure what constitutes a good/bad spark. Anyone have input on it?

Yes, I removed the the 17mm nut and cleaned the main jet with carb cleaner and compressed air. And turned the fuel screw 2.5 turns out, then tried 1.5 and it's the same. I couldn't have done anything to upset the carb

I just poured some gas down into the cylinder, did not even try to fire.. can someone tell me how the spark is supposed to look when taking the plug out? evidently the video did not work. But I think I have a spark issue

Okay so I have pictures of my magneto/flywheel. The flywheel still pulls a screwdriver in pretty hard from the inside. Not quite the outside; is it supposed to?

The magneto has build up on outter parts, would this have any effect?

ANYONE?

KX1.jpeg

KX2.jpeg

KX.jpg

And it was running before you cleaned the carb? Something don't make sense...

jlmotox, I pulled it again and took every single jet out. the starter jet (78) and pilot jet (42) were fairly clogged, only small little holes. I made them way bigger. The main jet (175) was completely free and clear. The carb is currently still out going to replace the screws with allen heads. My question is could those jets being plugged cause my symptoms?

But was the bike running fine before you touched it??

If the bike was running fine and now is not after taking the carb apart then you must have done something wrong...my guess would be an air leak, bad gasket or o-ring. if the jets are clogged then yes that can cause all sorts of problems.

Sometimes you can chase and chase a problem that isn't there and only make it worse messing with things that don't need messing with...

I would put everything back to where it was before you first took it apart and start over.

Thanks for the help jlmotox, I currently have the carb ready to go, everything is cleaned up. But im putting in new screws/allen heads because their stripped. I am waiting for a new plug as napa didnt have it. So tomorrow after work I am picking up fresh gas (current gas has been sitting a month or more), new plug, and the screws. I will let you know if this solves it

So after putting everything together, I got it started. Took a long time and it wouldnt idle. and it would take a long time to start up again. Also it heard a "rattling" which sounded like the piston? Can anyone else hear their piston rattle/chug a little bit? maybe im just paranoid about everything

Another thing, I dont have a compression gauge so I cannot test compression. BUT, if I push the kickstarter down with my hand and listen I hear a lot of hissing and air escaping, and the kickstarter slowly goes down. It leaks compression.. How fast should this happen?

It does sound like that when you push the the starter down slowly.

The rattling sound is probably the slide plate, they do this when getting older and the oring also wears out that seals it.

You said you cleaned the main jet at first just removing the drain plug.

Did you take the carb off completely and clean it or just remove the float bowl and jets while on the bike ? 

It does sound like that when you push the the starter down slowly.

The rattling sound is probably the slide plate, they do this when getting older and the oring also wears out that seals it.

You said you cleaned the main jet at first just removing the drain plug.

Did you take the carb off completely and clean it or just remove the float bowl and jets while on the bike ? 

hey shawn

I got the bike running, still takes too many kicks to start (5-8) valves are good, bought a new gauge so im good there. There is backfiring on deaccel so it is lean. But I am 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw so something still isnt right. 

What is the slide plate and where is it? I took the carb completely off twice and cleaned out the jets and sprayed liberal amounts of carb clean.

The idle seems to hang alot (it will stay high revved after closing throttle for awhile then come back down)

I have basically the same problem and have not got it sorted properly. I replaced the slide plate and o ring, Google for pics, made sure the pilot air screw has the o ring and washer still on. Checked that the passages still clear for the pilot circuit, 2 openings into the carb throat, one under and one in front of the slide. Replaced the hot start plunger . Also replaced one of the little guide wheels on the slide that was worn smaller than the others. Went up from 42 pilot to 48 pilot. It is better but not fixed.

I wonder what it could be. I should change out my pilot as well. It is still drive able but would like to get this sorted.

If you figure out what it is let me know please