Sign in to follow this  

Some explain to me the Compression Adj on the Rear Shock

Was having troubles with small bumps the other day at the track. Bike just doesnt want to settle in corners nice or want to stay in a rut with bumps. My Suspension is set up for my weight and class, with re-valving. Sag at 105mm~. Was done by Factory Connection. I was told by one of the tech guys to go 2 clicks softer on the front and rear compression. But which compression do I do on the rear? He wasn't very clear with that. I asked if it was for the HS or LS, he said the compression. Am I missing something? I thought the HS and LS were both compression clickers? 

On the rear shock, the high speed compression is the large red hex nut on the side of the nitrogen bottle. The low speed compression is the flat head screw in the center of the high speed compression nut. The low speed is the only one that 'clicks' when you turn it. The rebound clicker is on the bottom side of the shock under the swing arm.

Depending on how fast the bumps cause the rear shock to compress determines which compression adjuster you should move.

Dialing in the suspension can be a pain in the ass sometimes:)

On the rear shock, the high speed compression is the large red hex nut on the side of the nitrogen bottle. The low speed compression is the flat head screw in the center of the high speed compression nut. The low speed is the only one that 'clicks' when you turn it. The rebound clicker is on the bottom side of the shock under the swing arm.

Depending on how fast the bumps cause the rear shock to compress determines which compression adjuster you should move.

Dialing in the suspension can be a pain in the ass sometimes:)

Now, With most of my problems coming from square edge bumps in a rut (accreditation bumps) should that mean softening up the slow speed? Or do I always have to adj both? Say every 2 clicks on the SC should be _____ on the HS? Also, with the hex, do I go by 1/4 turns?

Thank you for explaining this and not just replying "FC sucks" like everyone has where Ive posted this question. Ive never had a problem with them, just a little tweaking is needed. 

Someone told me that you can use the HS comp adjuster kind of like a ride height adjustment ( within reason). If your front end is pushing, go in on the HS a 1/4 turn. I tried it and it works. However this is just a gone tuning for your general set up.

Generalizing,  HS usually for the square edge chatter. LS for the bigger rollers.   The 'speed" has little to do with how fast the bike is going , but how fast the suspension has to move to react to what it hits.