Help with choosing a boot?

Hi All, I recently purchased myself a 2010 DRZ400sm, have only had it a few days now. I plan to use it for a little bit of commuting but also track days, with the occasional bit of touring (done about 600 kilometres of "touring" on it so far and found it hard work!). I want to be able to have a bit of fun with her and took her out on the track the other day, I was very much tempted to get my foot out but it's not a "normal" thing for me and I didn't want to destroy the soles on my alpinestars s-mx 5's. I plan to keep doing the occasional track day and I know you don't need to really be putting your foot out for day to day road riding however I wouldn't mind getting a bit of practice in doing so, perhaps maybe even set myself up a little route in a big car park and practice?

Anyway, need help choosing a boot!! Must have replaceable sole of course. Have come across some Sidi Crossfire Supermoto boots but they look really heavy and might cause trouble with the rear brake and upshifting, not to mention I'm not entirely sure they're best for road use and crashing at speed on asphalt, not that I plan to crash but never say never, right? I have some Alpinestars Tech 3's from when I had a dirt bike and the aforementioned s-mx 5's and would love to be able to sell both of those and get just one pair of good boots.

Open to suggestions?! Cheers.

Edited by drz400sm_NZ

The sidi's have a  pivot in the ankle so you can move your ankle easier to shift.  I wish i would have gotten them.  i have the Alpinestar SM boots and they are super stiff.  Lots of plastic.  i will also say this.  One lowside and im missing one of the screws for the sole.  I had a real hard time shifting for a few track days.  My boots still arent broken in and i dont have very good rear brake feel still....

I like that the Sidi sole is the whole sole.  The Astar is only the side and half of the bottom.  its where i put my foot down but might not be for everyone. 

you also have this. 

http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/SPORTS/Motorcycling/Products/Supermotard/VSM-Sole

Keep in mind there is a replacable sole option for old leather soled boots too.  its $100 and find a shop in your area that can swap them.  I can't find the link now but i remember the site sold other supermoto stuff like apa catch cans.  They had a $100 MX boot and the $100 sole with replacable sliders....

Yep ... SIDI's

I have the Gaerne Supermoto boots with replaced Soles and replaceable sliders as well as the hinged ankle. Adjust your rear brake lever and shifter. Easy Peasy ;) I have my rear brake adjusted to where you really have to hammer down on it to lock it up, I have mine adjusted for control of the rear wheel ;)

Great replies, sorry took me awhile to respond, I couldn't figure out how to find threads I'd started! So it's specifically the Sidi Crossfire Supermoto boots that are recommended? For road use? How do you find walking around in them i.e. going to a cafe or whatever.

I'll have a look at those Gaerne's too. 

Great replies, sorry took me awhile to respond, I couldn't figure out how to find threads I'd started! So it's specifically the Sidi Crossfire Supermoto boots that are recommended? For road use? How do you find walking around in them i.e. going to a cafe or whatever.

I'll have a look at those Gaerne's too. 

I have the Gaerne's for track duty/some street and for the street/trail I use the AlpineStars Tech2's. My Gearne's are easy to walk in.

I have the Gaerne's for track duty/some street and for the street/trail I use the AlpineStars Tech2's. My Gearne's are easy to walk in.

Why don't you use the Gaerne's for all your street use?

Why don't you use the Gaerne's for all your street use?

Cause I use these mainly for racing ;) as these boots are mainly for track duty. The Astar Tech 2's are short and work fine on the streets as you are not pushing it hard like you do on the track.