Sign in to follow this  

rm 125 help! 1996 vs 1998

Engine differences? Can i put a 1996 cylinder on a 1998 rm125 bottom end? Also i have a piston for the 1998 that is 57.5 or so mm what is that is cc's? I am new here so please help :)

Check the part number for the base gasket, if the number is the same then the cylinder will fit.  There should also be a casting number on the cylinder, if it's the same then there's another confirmation that it'll fit.  What cylinder head are you going to run?  If you use the '98 head then use a '98 piston, I'm not sure but it's possible that Suzuki may have changed the compression by reworking the head and just to keep everything correct you'll need to use the same piston/head combination.

K cool i really appreciate it. I have a 96 head cylinder and piston putting it on a 98 bottom end. The only difference i see is where the clutch cable connects but thats no big deal. Thanks again :D

Other piston for rm125 is 57.95 mm what is that in cc? Also 96 powervalve linkage is different than 98 so im trying to figure out if i can make it work??

based on wiseco's site stock is 54mm and 2mm.  So I don't know what you have.  Maybe some sort of big bore kit.  As far as cc's the google can help you out with that.  But I don't know what that matters.  As long as the cylinder matches the piston.

Check the part number for the base gasket, if the number is the same then the cylinder will fit. 

No, it's not that easy with those bikes.  I tried a 2000 cylinder on my 96, same gaskets.  On the 2000 cylinder, the bottom of the cylinder bore is longer so it hit the cases.  I was never able to see if a 97, 98 or 99 fit.  I bought a 95 cylinder and modified the powervalves for it to work.

My advice is to buy the same year cylinder unless you know 100% it will swap.

Edited by Jeekinz

No, it's not that easy with those bikes.  I tried a 2000 cylinder on my 96, same gaskets.  On the 2000 cylinder, the bottom of the cylinder bore is longer so it hit the cases.  I was never able to see if a 97, 98 or 99 fit.  I bought a 95 cylinder and modified the powervalves for it to work.

My advice is to buy the same year cylinder unless you know 100% it will swap.

Yea, you could be right.  I was thinking that because the '96 through '98 RM250 was the same then the 125 would be the same too.  That doesn't always work out, but this time around I thought it did.

I have the 96 cylinder on the 98 case it fits perfect. Powervalve linkage is all figured out got it to work. Thanks everybody for the help