Sign in to follow this  

2013 DRZ400SM slap

Just purchased a new DRZ and have concerns about a behavior the bike has on take-off. When I let the clutch out in first gear there is a loose feeling, almost like excessive chain slack. Once the engine is loaded its fine. It also happens when engine braking down a hill and I roll back on the throttle. There is a definite slap feeling. There is no sound and the chain is nice and tight. Just wondering if this is normal or anyone else has experienced this. Neither my YFZ or CRF450X have the same feeling so i'm a little concerned. 

Thanks

When I say tight I mean it's got about an inch of up and down movement . Doesn't seem like the chain is causing it

The standard jetting and very restrictive air intake  make this bike have what seems like turbo lag , it could be that , if it is do a search on the 3x3 mod . Or are you talking about a transmission backlash ? greg

it feels more like transmission backlash. I mean there definitely is a throttle response lag because i just picked the thing up wednesday and she's all stock but it really does feel like its in the transmission. Just wondering if i should bring this thing back to the dealer and let them check it out before i put a bunch of miles on it. It feels exactly like a loose chain that has to pick up the slack when i let out the clutch.

I had a drz years back and it got stolen. Last week I rode my buddy's and noticed the same thing. As soon as it happened I thought wtf and after a while I realized my old drz did the same thing. Almost like there was some slack between coasting and engine breaking. Do these bikes have a Cush drive hub? I forget. That might account for some of it

Any concerns with the bike return to the dealer for evaluation....

It is hard to advise you on what we can't experience, it's all guesstimation 

it feels more like transmission backlash. I mean there definitely is a throttle response lag because i just picked the thing up wednesday and she's all stock but it really does feel like its in the transmission. Just wondering if i should bring this thing back to the dealer and let them check it out before i put a bunch of miles on it. It feels exactly like a loose chain that has to pick up the slack when i let out the clutch.

Take it back and let them know what the issue is .

When I say tight I mean it's got about an inch of up and down movement . Doesn't seem like the chain is causing it

A inch is too tight, 2 inchs/50mm is recommended.