Sign in to follow this  

ford f-250 gas/diesel MPG

Hi Guys, trying to talk myself into a Ford F250 super duty, crew cab, either gas or diesel engine.  Can you folks who have recent models of these please give me an idea of MPG on the highways (unloaded, not towing)?  thanks!

also, any general input / advise greatly appreciated on engine choice, etc?  i have a f150 now.

Edited by davsco

Why do you feel the need to go to a diesel?

Just remember when you add the diesel engine, you increase ALL your operating costs..... Everything goes up! Including the initial purchase price which adds another $7000 to the price tag..... You knoe how much fuel you can buy for $7k?

But on to your question, your looking at a average of 17mpg empty, 13mpg loaded. A lot of it depends on your driving habits.....

Also what year of truck you looking at?

Edited by originalmonk
  • Like 1

looking at a leftover 2012. essentially it's the same price as 2013's with gas engine.

looking at a leftover 2012. essentially it's the same price as 2013's with gas engine.

The new Ford Diesels are a thing of beauty. We have a few working on site and everytime I jump in one I'm impressed. I run a new GM. I feel the quality of the Fords, especially the interiors are flat-out beautiful. My GM doesn't compare. Power wise their about the same, both trucks are extremely quite. The Ford does take Def so add a couple bucks on top of the price of fuel. The ride quality is there. Not quite as cushy as my GM but close too......

I've bounced back and forth between diesels, gassers, 1/2 tons and 1 tons and I always seem to find my way back to a diesel. But I also own a construction company and I use the only real benefit of a diesel engine which is in towing. As a personal truck, I wouldn't buy a diesel let alone a 3/4 ton. The maintenance costs go up (and you will always have someone arguing that they cost the same) which adds up to quite a bit over time. A truck like your Ford 1/2 can tow 8000+pounds and still get decent mileage empty.

Edited by originalmonk
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, trying to talk myself into a Ford F250 super duty, crew cab, either gas or diesel engine.  Can you folks who have recent models of these please give me an idea of MPG on the highways (unloaded, not towing)?  thanks!

also, any general input / advise greatly appreciated on engine choice, etc?  i have a f150 now.

Check out the new dodge 1500 diesel...a month or two away, supposed to get around 30mpg.

I'm not a ford guy, but the f150 ecoboost gets rave reviews, great mileage, very capable.

I have a 2007 ram 3500 4x4 flatbed drw diesel 8500lbs unloaded, I get 18mpg highway, 14mpg towing a 4k trailer. Better mileage than my 2001 tacoma.

IMO I would not buy a truck that didnt have a turbo, whether it is gas or diesel. Turbo makes a lot more torque at low rpm which is awesome for towing and gas mileage

I really like the full sized trucks, but the reality is, the latest 1500s are more truck than 99% of people need.

Just remember when you add the diesel engine, you increase ALL your operating costs..... Everything goes up! Including the initial purchase price which adds another $7000 to the price tag..... You knoe how much fuel you can buy for $7k?

That's the reason that I didn't buy a diesel last year when I bought my current truck. I don't get good mileage with the 6.2 liter gas burner but I can buy a whole lot of gas for the difference in cost of a diesel and my gas burner. I just don't tow a heavy enough load to justify a diesel.

Edited by David_L6

Id rather be cummin then stroking is all i have to say!

But then you have a peice of trash truck with a weak tranny, a weak front end, a weak frame and a ton of other problems waiting to fall apart. Not worth it just for the motor, that's for sure. Ford's 7.3 is just as good as any cummins if your buying used. We have a towing company here, dodge frames aren't strong enough to take even having a wheel lift on back, fords are.

• Like 1

But then you have a peice of trash truck with a weak tranny, a weak front end, a weak frame and a ton of other problems waiting to fall apart. Not worth it just for the motor, that's for sure. Ford's 7.3 is just as good as any cummins if your buying used. We have a towing company here, dodge frames aren't strong enough to take even having a wheel lift on back, fords are.

The Nissan Titan will be coming out with a Cummins engine, they just announced it a few days ago.  I own a Ford Ranger and want to upgrade badly, but the thing is so damn reliable.  I will wait two more years when small diesels will be available.

Edited by SteveKing84

The Nissan Titan will be coming out with a Cummins engine, they just announced it a few days ago.  I own a Ford Ranger and want to upgrade badly, but the thing is so damn reliable.  I will wait two more years when small diesels will be available.

I'm keeping my eye on this.  I have a few years of life left in my 05 Frontier, but after that I'm considering getting a full sized.

I have a 2003 F250 w/7.3L I bought for every day driver and towing on the weekends. My truck has a custom program (+80hp), different valve body in the tranny, 4" exhaust, compressor side turbo housing, mechanical waste gate, oil bypass and other small items. Not a bunch of money either. Reason I posted this because I needed the best mileage, durability and least amount of maintenance I could get while on the freeway both loaded and unloaded. I was getting 22mpg unloaded @70mph in it's prime. Loaded with 5-8,000 I got 17-15mpg, again at 70mph. Winter fuel I lost about 2mpg and more with idle time. These numbers are calculated not the lie-o-meter on the dash. I just rebuilt the tranny at 157,000 miles and I feel I am good for another 50,000 miles. So if you plan to keep your diesel long, it's well worth the extra cost for the option and a better resale value later. Remember diesel are 25-30% more efficient than gas so as long as the fuel prices stay close, price to fill up is the SAME +/- a little. Where the diesel are more expensive is the maintenance. Older Fords has 6 gallons oil volume with 5 gallon at change. This does add up over time however the motor should last longer and this is where you start to re-coop your money by not having to purchase another truck as soon. Today my truck is just used for hauling to riding areas and tracks. I will hold on to it for another 1 1/2-2 years then buy another truck, either gas or diesel depending on design!

Edited by weantright

I love my '12 F250 crewcab diesel. According to my onboard computer, I'm averaging 17.3 mpg, that is 95% in town driving.

The 6.7 is an awesome motor. So far the truck has been extremely reliable, 20k miles now. I traded in my '07 F150 5.4 gasser and I couldn't be happier. I tow my kids horse around 2x/week, and we go to events which sometimes involve long highway drives over the mountain passes out here. My F150 I always felt I was pushing it, gas mileage would go to hell, was worried about the brakes etc. With the F250, I hardly know the horse trailer is back there.

My friend bought a '12 F250 with the 5.4 gas engine and he's singing the blues about his crappy gas mileage while towing. Why he bought a F250 w/the 5.4 I don't know, probably thought he was getting a deal on it.

My only regret is that I did not spring for the F350 long bed, shortly after I got the F250 short bed, I realized I'd really like to slide a camper on the back on the thing.

Id rather be cummin then stroking is all i have to say!

wow, one of the gayest things ive ever heard, thats why all dodge fans are ignorant

• Like 2

I love my '12 F250 crewcab diesel. According to my onboard computer, I'm averaging 17.3 mpg, that is 95% in town driving.

The 6.7 is an awesome motor. So far the truck has been extremely reliable, 20k miles now. I traded in my '07 F150 5.4 gasser and I couldn't be happier. I tow my kids horse around 2x/week, and we go to events which sometimes involve long highway drives over the mountain passes out here. My F150 I always felt I was pushing it, gas mileage would go to hell, was worried about the brakes etc. With the F250, I hardly know the horse trailer is back there.

My friend bought a '12 F250 with the 5.4 gas engine and he's singing the blues about his crappy gas mileage while towing. Why he bought a F250 w/the 5.4 I don't know, probably thought he was getting a deal on it.

My only regret is that I did not spring for the F350 long bed, shortly after I got the F250 short bed, I realized I'd really like to slide a camper on the back on the thing.

I don't think 20k miles is a good test to see if it is reliable. maybe come back when you have 200k miles.

I don't think 20k miles is a good test to see if it is reliable. maybe come back when you have 200k miles.

This.

I cannot comment to the mileage of the gasser, but my 2012 6.7L diesel gets around 19 - 21 MPG unloaded all freeway mileage, 16ish unloaded all city mileage, 17 - 18 MPG combined unloaded. Towing I get around 12 - 14 MPG depending on load and terrain.

older diesel owner- 2004 Duramax 2500. If you're going to regularly pull moderate to heavy loads, diesel is the way to go. If most of your driving is unloaded I'd consider gasser. All us old diesel guys are waiting for diesel to get back down BELOW gasoline in cost where it belongs. I use the diesel almost exclusively as tow vehicle, pulling 12K over 10,000ft mountain passes. I get 19 highway unloaded, and 11-12 loaded unless I am in a hurry and the go pedal is mashed. then it's 9mpg on the steep grades with 1300 degree egt's and 24psi of boost.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine has a 2011 f250 diesel 40k miles hes happy with it. Had afew transmission prob. Early on I think they have got all the bugs worked out now. Hes done an intake and some kind of chip the thing burns rubber drives like a gasser. Compared to my old Pos 7.3

It was enough to prove the 6.0's were going to be a problem child.....:lol:

• Like 5