ford f-250 gas/diesel MPG

If you want to look at numbers, the only conclusion to draw is that it makes a lot more financial sense to buy a 10 year old car vs new.

In my experience, at the 10 year 200K mile mark, a Cummins will be worth 5K more than a gasser.

Paying 5K for better fuel economy, better towing, more torque, longer engine lifespan, better reliability, better resale, and now you understand why people buy big diesels.

But it's the engine, and engine only that's getting that money. The truck itself is worth nothing....

As for diesels lasting longer, in a semi truck maybe but I have not seen a diesel outlast a gas or vice-versa. I've seen both last a long time but a diesel is still more expensive to maintain in the long run....

• 2 weeks later...

But it's the engine, and engine only that's getting that money. The truck itself is worth nothing....

As for diesels lasting longer, in a semi truck maybe but I have not seen a diesel outlast a gas or vice-versa. I've seen both last a long time but a diesel is still more expensive to maintain in the long run....

A lot more expensive all around!

Yes, a light duty truck with 250k on the clock is slowly starting to implode from the inside out --- transmissions, rearends, T-cases, electrical gremlins, broken down and worn out upholstery, sagging doors are just a few of the phenomena, even if the engine itself still has life left in it

96 dodge cummins 2wd 262k mi. Changed oil every 15k filter every 7,500 mi. 23 mpg @ 70 unloaded about 15-16 mpg pullin about 8k lbs. replaced batteries, belts, brakes x2, tires and door hinges. K&N air filter (clean&go) Just recently had to start shifting into neutral at stop lights cause I think torque converter lock up solenoid is bad. That's all I have to offer IMO that seems like I had less maintenance than the gasser I had.

Hi Guys, trying to talk myself into a Ford F250 super duty, crew cab, either gas or diesel engine.  Can you folks who have recent models of these please give me an idea of MPG on the highways (unloaded, not towing)?  thanks!

2012 F250 SuperCab (almost a crew cab), 4x4, 6.2L, AC, cruise, 8 ft bed, 3.73 gears, tow pkg, hitch, shift on the fly, etc.

Unloaded, not towing, in 2 wheel drive:

13 mpg in the city (I literally live 11 miles from work)

16.5 mpg on the highway as long as I don't go over 80 mph

Edited by SpunBearing

thanks for the feedback/input guys!  i bit the bullet and bought a new 2012 f250 diesel.  wow do i love this truck.  all i have done is transport a pair of dirtbikes for a long weekend trip and some misc stuff, but this thing is smooth and powerful.  i have been getting ~18mpg in the outer suburbs, pretty impressive given that my prior f150 was getting 15mpg with a lot less size/power.

Good for you!  congratulations

I have a 2006 F250 that has been virtually problem free for 100k miles ( had it bulletproofed under warranty )

the F series interiors are great IMHO and I used to buy gassers  yes the upkeep is more but not alot since the $120 synthetic   oil change  I is good for twice the distance as a gasser    a few extra fuel  filters  and the fuel being more is about the only extra $  IMHO

now that being said the extra I spent on a diesel is already worth it to Me since this is the first truck I have bought that is worth more money than I owe on it

in the last 12 months of payments  I had to walk away from my 2500 HD 6.0 gas   no trade in value  just cashed out the loan

this truck is still worth 2x what I owe   but I won't be selling it any time soon

have fun with that 6.7  !

lets see a pic !

PC030135.JPG

Edited by Zimman

Zimman what made you step away from your 6.0l gm 2500hd? I ask because I just bought one ,an 06 with 55.500 miles on it and wonder if there is anything I should or need to know about them and there reliability.

GM uses o-ring gasket where the headers go into the engine, they are common for failure. I had a 09 with the 6.0l and went through 2 in 120k miles....

'06 F250 6.0psd, 3.33 gears

15/20 mpg empty

around 15mpg average towing. 

Had a 1997 f350 with a 351.  got around 7mpg towing.

The Maintenance costs and repairs of teh 6.0 could have paid for 500,000 miles of gas and maintenance on the 351.

• Like 1

15/20 mpg empty

The Maintenance costs and repairs of teh 6.0 could have paid for 500,000 miles of gas and maintenance on the 351.

everyone knows not to buy a 6.0l unless you get enough off the price to pay for head studs and EGR delete.

• Like 1

96 dodge cummins 2wd 262k mi. Changed oil every 15k filter every 7,500 mi. 23 mpg @ 70 unloaded about 15-16 mpg pullin about 8k lbs. replaced batteries, belts, brakes x2, tires and door hinges. K&N air filter (clean&go) Just recently had to start shifting into neutral at stop lights cause I think torque converter lock up solenoid is bad. That's all I have to offer IMO that seems like I had less maintenance than the gasser I had.

I know guys that put brakes on the auto version every 12 to 16k. Another guy with 500k on his has had 6 transmissions. Currently missing second gear. Manual is the way to go on that truck!

I like the older diesels, they ran forever. It seems like they've lost some of their advantage in the newer years since they've they've gone big time into smog mode. Sure they've got a lot of power, but It seems like we're always doing EGR cleanings, troubleshooting re-gen issues, DPF [shake&bakes], EGR coolers, and injectors, not to mention having to pull the cabs to be able to get to half of the stuff..... Plus, if you have to replace a motor for some dumb reason, they're about $16k... We've done at least 5.
I'll keep my old beater.

• Like 1

I like the older diesels, they ran forever. It seems like they've lost some of their advantage in the newer years since they've they've gone big time into smog mode. Sure they've got a lot of power, but It seems like we're always doing EGR cleanings, troubleshooting re-gen issues, DPF [shake&bakes], EGR coolers, and injectors, not to mention having to pull the cabs to be able to get to half of the stuff..... Plus, if you have to replace a motor for some dumb reason, they're about $16k... We've done at least 5.

I'll keep my old beater.

Not really but you can thank EPA for just about all of that

everyone knows not to buy a 6.0l unless you get enough off the price to pay for head studs and EGR delete.

Both have been done.  It's the rest of the crap.  Injectors, control module, tranny, turbo, etc.

I needed the towing abilities and room.  I sure as hell wasn't gonna buy a chevy or dodge, but this will be my last Ford.

• 4 weeks later...

Still lovin the new ford diesel? I just picked up a 13' and love it. Had an 02', with 7.3 had a hard time parting with. In the long run difference in price diesel vs gas isn't bad. New 02' diesel about 6k more than gas, I sold it for about $4500 more than comparable gas.

15/20 mpg empty

You spent over $170'000 in repairs? 12mpg avg 4 bucks a gallon for gas.......lol