Sign in to follow this  

offset help?

I try reading about offset and every other post contradicts what the effects are, does anyone really know. I have a 09 300 XCW and at slow speed the front is twitchy, I,m told it has adjustable offset? Please school me!

before messin with offset might dial in more rear sag and check where the fork tube are in the clamp.   Are the fork riding low in the stroke from not enough spring or too much comp or rebound?

before messin with offset might dial in more rear sag and check where the fork tube are in the clamp.   Are the fork riding low in the stroke from not enough spring or too much comp or rebound?

yes the forks are riding low.If the rear is too high and front low it could cause this?

This is from my 2006 manual.

ForkOffset_zps38415786.jpg

Perfect . Which setting calms down slow speed twichyness?

18, but that may not fix your complaint

Edited by highmarker

18, but that may not fix your complaint

Heres where I get confused , EMIG racing who manufactures aftermarket Triple clamps says to run his 22 offset to calm down the twitchy.Seems its contradictory ?

Not sure if this helps... 2012 XCW = 22mm and 2013 & 14 = 20mm

Really the new ones went back to 20, i didn't know that

The manual says your bike (09 300xcw) should run between 105mm and 112mm (4"- 4.5") of sag. Set your sag at 112mm (4.5")  and go for a ride. If that doesn't at least help then play with your offset. Usually problems with the front end are really a problem with the rear. Always try the easy stuff first. Adjusting the sag is way easer than changing the offset.

First rule of thumb  for PDS KTM's: if your fork feels bad, it is probably due to incorrect set up of the shock.

First rule of thumb  for PDS KTM's: if your fork feels bad, it is probably due to incorrect set up of the shock.

Will get suspension back to stock settings to start.Is there a clear answer-Will the 18 or 20 offset be more or less stable at slow single track speeds?

Is there a clear answer, will the 18 or 20 offset be more or less stable at slow single track speeds?

The manual says...

18mm will deliver more directional stability on fast race courses.

20mm will deliver better handling in curves.

...whatever that means.

Why don't you try them both and see what works better? If that fixes the problem your troubles will be in the rear-view mirror. If you can't achieve what you're looking for with either setting you'll need to look elsewhere in your suspension/ bike setup.

If it helps, here's a link to the 2009 300 XCW manual...

http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_ktmproduct/techdocs/7475I4_OM_EN.pdf

For whatever it's worth, it mentions adjustable offset for the XC forks but doesn't say anything about adjustment for the XCW fork.

Edited by Cold Smoke

Will the 18 or 20 offset be more or less stable at slow single track speeds?

There is no clear, easy answer to that question. Just as there is no "magic", one jetting spec that works at all elevations and every temperature with any gas and every pipe and silencer combo.

There are to many things that are adjustable that make your bike more or less stable.

My bikes are very stable at all speeds with either offset. The fork offset makes no difference. What changing the offset on my bikes has showed me is that I like the way the bike handles better with the 20mm offset than I do with the 18mm offset. This is why riders spend so much time testing their bike set-up. Go to your favorite riding area and spend some time playing with your sag to see what a huge difference it makes.

Read this.

http://gotagteam.com/KTM_Days/Story_Pages/2011/Rake-Trail_RC8R.html

Now read this.

http://nswroadandtrackbikes.com/forums/entry.php?6-Rake-and-trail

There is no clear, easy answer to that question. Just as there is no "magic", one jetting spec that works at all elevations and every temperature with any gas and every pipe and silencer combo.

There are to many things that are adjustable that make your bike more or less stable.

My bikes are very stable at all speeds with either offset. The fork offset makes no difference. What changing the offset on my bikes has showed me is that I like the way the bike handles better with the 20mm offset than I do with the 18mm offset. This is why riders spend so much time testing their bike set-up. Go to your favorite riding area and spend some time playing with your sag to see what a huge difference it makes.

Read this.

http://gotagteam.com/KTM_Days/Story_Pages/2011/Rake-Trail_RC8R.html

Now read this.

http://nswroadandtrackbikes.com/forums/entry.php?6-Rake-and-trail

very helpful Bro!

Agreed, if you have an issue with poor handling, playing with the offset is probably not the correct direction to be looking. I would not expect it to cure any problem, yours or otherwise. In the '08 and newer bikes, there are very few situations were changing the offset improves the bike overall.

Agreed, if you have an issue with poor handling, playing with the offset is probably not the correct direction to be looking. I would not expect it to cure any problem, yours or otherwise. In the '08 and newer bikes, there are very few situations were changing the offset improves the bike overall.

Yes with everyone help i,m convinced i have bike set up incorrectly,