Sign in to follow this  

09 250xc dumps fuel from overflow

Yesterday while I was out I noticed the bike had used a lot more fuel than usual. When I got home I seem the carb was dumping fuel from the bowl overflow line so I pulled the carb apart, cleaned it and double checked float height. I put it back together and same thing, so once again I pulled the carb and bent the tang slightly down (down with carb upside down). Put if back together and it stopped leaking but halfway through my ride today it started again. Any idea what's going on? Im thinking worn out float needle but looking for opinions

You don't say what bike or how old it is.

It could be intermittent crud somehow making it into your fuel system, getting stuck in the needle valve; the tip of the needle valve could be worn, not sealing; the float could have a hole in it, filling with fuel and not shutting off the needle valve as it's supposed to; needle valve could be hanging up in its passage, be sure it and the needle are smooth.

Once you figure out what it is and fix it, be sure to reset your float to spec..

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

Title says 09 250xc, bike has a little over 100 hours. The obvious stuff like a sinking float is not apparent. I manually checked float operation by hooking the tank up and working the float by hand and it worked, also worked when put together until half way through the ride

So if you clean the carb and re-assemble it, the problem goes away and stays away until mid ride?

mine same thing. add a filter past the petcock

So if you clean the carb and re-assemble it, the problem goes away and stays away until mid ride?

That happened once but yes

That happened once but yes

mine have been cleaned over and over as well as the tank.I believe when bike sat a awhile the Ethanol leaves a film on all components and is slowly releasing as i ride from the tank , small flakes are getting in the needle seat, The filter will take those out

mine have been cleaned over and over as well as the tank.I believe when bike sat a awhile the Ethanol leaves a film on all components and is slowly releasing as i ride from the tank , small flakes are getting in the needle seat, The filter will take those out

Exactly. Not only that, but that little rubber seal/seat system on the float plunger goes bad, its pretty normal.

So I'd first replace that seat and then, make sure the float is setup right.

Of course, inline filter first before you do anything else, wouldn't run a bike without one. :)