Sign in to follow this  

Neck Brace For Big Shoulders?

I am needing some guidance with neck braces.  I currently own a Leatt GPX Race neck brace (size L/XL) but have only ridden with it once due to not being able to turn my head left and right, or tilt my head left and right, because of interference with my helmet.  I assume since a lot of riders use them without complaints that it's my body shape that is causing it.  I weigh about 240lbs and am broad-shouldered.  I race hare scrambles and MX and don't have any head movement (except for up and down) when wearing it.  Is there a better neck brace for me?  I want to wear a neck brace for the obvious reasons but it's just as dangerous when I can't turn my head to see anything.  I wear an O'neal 3-Series helmet if that has anything to do with it.  Thanks for any help.

Edited by JFoVStar650

Ring leatt first and see if they can help you with adjustments etc

If possible, maybe also try taking your brace to a dealer just so you can try a few helmets on and see if they make any difference

the alpine stars one seems much lower profile, or try a atlas brace, but leat is bulky compared to the two i listed.

I had a BIG guy at the track complain about his leatt being tight and not liking it . He rode one lap with my atlas and says hes going to buy one.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see what options I have to try those braces without purchasing them. And I'll try with different helmets as well. Thanks!

There are extensions and adjustments that can be made. I had mine done at the track by the Leatt rep who just happened to be Blake Baggets mom. This was while he was on 80's If I remember right. I also had it rechecked this spring and it the fit checked out. I'm about 260, a little over 6'.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see what options I have to try those braces without purchasing them. And I'll try with different helmets as well. Thanks!

I'd try a Atlas, from what I can see, they seem very low profile. 

There are extensions and adjustments that can be made. I had mine done at the track by the Leatt rep who just happened to be Blake Baggets mom. This was while he was on 80's If I remember right. I also had it rechecked this spring and it the fit checked out. I'm about 260, a little over 6'

Having it adjusted and fit checked sounds awesome. Is that done by a Leatt dealer?  When i search for dealers in Tx, it just says to refer to the California headquarters. 

Edited by JFoVStar650

Having it adjusted and fit checked sounds awesome. Is that done bone a Leatt dealer?  When i search for dealers in Tx, it just says to refer to the California headquarters. 

where in tx are you bro Im near austin 

Just west of Waco.  I'll actually be in Austin this weekend for a roadbike race at Circuit Of The Americas. 

Edited by JFoVStar650

Just west of Waco.  I'll actually be in Austin this weekend for a roadbike race at Circuit Of The Americas. 

Nice man . I usually ride tracks deep south austin . Delvalle and Murphy's if your ever that way and you havent bought a brace ill let you take the atlas for some laps :) 

Nice man . I usually ride tracks deep south austin . Delvalle and Murphy's if your ever that way and you havent bought a brace ill let you take the atlas for some laps :)

PM sent.  Anyone know of a place in Central Texas that sells these neck braces?  Would be awesome to try them on with different helmets to get the perfect setup.

Thanks!

PM sent. Anyone know of a place in Central Texas that sells these neck braces? Would be awesome to try them on with different helmets to get the perfect setup.

Thanks!

Believe cycle gear does

Well im going atlas, A friend of mine just landed in the hospital with an injury after coming up short on a jump and scorpion-ed over the front of the bike. The pressure from the leatt on the top of his spine caused nerve damage.  It is still a good brace, without it he might be dead.  It was a big jump (hes roommates with kris foster and does fmx shows, it was notttttt a softcore jump)  

Atlas is designed to stop that from happening. And the guy who started the company is Brady Sheren. Used to ride with him all the time in Vancouver. So its sweet to support Him.

Bye bye leatt

I've heard that the atlas brace feels the lightest and most "not there" of all the braces

I would agree and can attest to this statement

Well im going atlas, A friend of mine just landed in the hospital with an injury after coming up short on a jump and scorpion-ed over the front of the bike. The pressure from the leatt on the top of his spine caused nerve damage.  It is still a good brace, without it he might be dead.  It was a big jump (hes roommates with kris foster and does fmx shows, it was notttttt a softcore jump)  

Atlas is designed to stop that from happening. And the guy who started the company is Brady Sheren. Used to ride with him all the time in Vancouver. So its sweet to support Him.

Bye bye leatt

good choice!

OP... It sounds like I am about the same size as you. I wore a Leatt for a few years. I contacted the company and they sent me two of the side pieces which were longer to make it larger than I could with the stock pieces (free of charge). It worked pretty well but was always a bit tight on the sides of my neck. About 8 months ago I switched to the Alpinstars brace in their largest size. It is much more comfortable than the Leatt because it truly does fit my barrel chest. My point is make sure whatever you buy fits correctly and does not ride up your chest.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

OP... It sounds like I am about the same size as you. I wore a Leatt for a few years. I contacted the company and they sent me two of the side pieces which were longer to make it larger than I could with the stock pieces (free of charge). It worked pretty well but was always a bit tight on the sides of my neck. About 8 months ago I switched to the Alpinstars brace in their largest size. It is much more comfortable than the Leatt because it truly does fit my barrel chest. My point is make sure whatever you buy fits correctly and does not ride up your chest.

CoKTM

Good advice, thank you.  My local Cycle Gear (2 hours away) carries Leatt and Alpinestars, and they are going to order an Atlas for me to come in and try all three.  Hopefully I can get to it soon and I'll report back what fits my high/broad shoulders the best.

Thanks!