Underage Kid Who Needs An Answer

So i'm 17, looked at the title for my bike the other day and realized it was in my dads name.  Don't remember the reason why, but when we bought it my dad had to sign his name and not mine.  I paid for it with my cash so there was no loan involved.  I'm contemplating picking up another bike soon, do I need my dad to sign his name on that too?  I'd really like to start getting stuff in my own name here.

I would think that your dad had to sign for your bike because you are under 18 and cannot legally sign contracts. Most likely you will need your dad to sign over the paperwork when you sell too.

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

Put the paper down and go ride it doesn't matter who's names on it

When you turn 18 go to the DMV with your dad and have the titles put in your name. 

is it a street legal bike?  do you have it insured?  if your dad owns it, it will be covered under his home owners etc insurance (theft etc)

If you own it you get none of that, unless you pay for it yourself.

I tell my sons 14 and 16 as they are jonesing to "own their stuff" you can do whatever you want under your own roof.

You are right though, he "owns" the bike you dont

Also every state and even riding location has different rules about riding, so you have to check about insurance requirements or regulations.

good luck

is it a street legal bike?  do you have it insured?  if your dad owns it, it will be covered under his home owners etc insurance (theft etc)

Ah, best talk to your insurance agent if you think your homeowners policy is covering your dirtbikes for theft.  Unless you got a specific rider on your policy proving your dirtbikes are for home/yard maintenance, they ain't gonna be covered.

Ah, best talk to your insurance agent if you think your homeowners policy is covering your dirtbikes for theft.  Unless you got a specific rider on your policy proving your dirtbikes are for home/yard maintenance, they ain't gonna be covered.

Correct .....motor vehicles are not covered under home owners.

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

All states are different. In Idaho you can legally have your name on any title at any age but you can't get insurance and to get insurance on say a personal vehicle you have to have the insurance policy holders name on the title. I went through it all when I was 16. Check with your local DMV but you might be able to legally have the title in your name under 18 but probably not insurance although around here I think most people don't insure their bikes as it is not required. Either way the best advice comes from people that know not Internet forums even though this is a pretty good one.

I bought a car with my own money, I went to the DMV with only the seller's signature on it. I'm 17 and there was no problem putting my name on it. I'd imagine that a dirt bike would be the same.

I bought a car with my own money, I went to the DMV with only the seller's signature on it. I'm 17 and there was no problem putting my name on it. I'd imagine that a dirt bike would be the same.

This is an issue that varies from state to state.

TBH as long as you and your dad have a solid relationship and you don't need to worry about him using it against you, there really is no harm done if its in his name.

If there was a loan involved then you want it to be in your name to build the credit.

Otherwise wait until your 18, go to the DMV and do a title transfer.

I put My stuff in my name "and or"  My wifes  cause if somthing happens to Me  it saves a whole lot of trouble trying to get ownership transfered since She won't have to bother with anything being that Her name is on it already

If somehting happens to the  Dad in this case  God forbid   the son isn't likley  next in line for the ownership and it could be a legal mess

In Texas, I was 17 when I bought my first bike w/out parents owning it, they put my name on the title.  But it's a state specific issue.  Your father will have to sign the title to sell the bike, but the new bike you get, I would suggest inquiring to the DMV, or whichever agency you register titles in your state, if you can put the bike in your own name. 

ok, Im 31, and live in my mothers basement suite so his may not be relevant...Here in BC, Canada, my quad is covered under my mothers H.O. insurance for theft as long as it is on the property, once I leave my postage stamp sized lot it is no longer covered. To be covered I had to have mom put my name on the insurance paperwork because the vehicle title is in my name... Your bike may be titled to your father for insurance reasons as you may not be old enough or your parents may not want to put your name on the H.O. insurance. Have your father sign it over whenever you move out of your parents place so you can insure yourself with rental insurance if available or to make a legal sale... the only other issue IMO would be dealing with Police and proof of ownership as its legally your dads bike and you could be suspected of "borrowing" it without permission.

ok, Im 31, and live in my mothers basement 

:p

sorry, couldn't resist!

He may live in his mothers basement,  but I live in a van down by the river.