Why KTM motorcycles are ruining off-road motorcycle riding

They photoshopped this one as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj3br21_E

OK did you really watch this video?

Did you take a good look at the triple clamp. Its been loose and gouged for a while. For it to just break,and have the wear pattern in it that does? Not going to happen if you check over your bike before you ride.

Did you see the vids of the kxfs broken in half? There on you tube also.

Maybe consider checking bike over after jumping 30-40' in the air repeatedly. Just saying.

I've not seen dungey break his bike in two.

I have not broke mine either.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Me and some friends run a FB page for local riders around our area. This is a new member that friended us and talked about his new KTM. Heres more fuel for the fire. 

KTM headgasket.jpg

• Like 1

OK did you really watch this video?

Did you take a good look at the triple clamp. Its been loose and gouged for a while. For it to just break,and have the wear pattern in it that does? Not going to happen if you check over your bike before you ride.

Did you see the vids of the kxfs broken in half? There on you tube also.

Maybe consider checking bike over after jumping 30-40' in the air repeatedly. Just saying.

I've not seen dungey break his bike in two.

I have not broke mine either.

I agree with you lots of riders don't take very good care of their stuff.

Me and some friends run a FB page for local riders around our area. This is a new member that friended us and talked about his new KTM. Heres more fuel for the fire. 

Have you ever heard of the Toyota 7M-GE?

There was an issue with head gaskets and head stud torquing from the factory, toyota never recalled them. Despite this they are apparently great after this problem has been rectified, and this was every last one of them that came out before the problem was identified! 

One KTM engine (factory f-ckup at that) is hardly a representation of them all.

How about my mates honda, where the piston turned sideways in the barrel? Are CRFs shit because of this?

Mark

• Like 1

There was an issue with head gaskets and head stud torquing from the factory, toyota never recalled them. Despite this they are apparently great after this problem has been rectified, and this was every last one of them that came out before the problem was identified! 

How about my mates honda, where the piston turned sideways in the barrel? Are CRFs shit because of this?

Mark

I didnt say one way or the other i stuck up for all bikes in previous posts. Extract the sand from vag and take my post for what its worth . 

I didnt say one way or the other i stuck up for all bikes in previous posts. Extract the sand from vag and take my post for what its worth . 

No sandy vag here.

There was a logical explanation for failure in both cases, I didn't realise which way you were arguing. In the case of the KTM: head bolt torque, in the case of the CRF: lack of maintenance and high revs.

In every bike failure I've seen, it has been user or maintenance error. 

The 7M-GE analogy shows how many people think that something is a dog through anecdotal evidence. People still shudder when you mention the 7M. :( 

No sandy vag here.

There was a logical explanation for failure in both cases, I didn't realise which way you were arguing. In the case of the KTM: head bolt torque, in the case of the CRF: lack of maintenance and high revs.

In every bike failure I've seen, it has been user or maintenance error

The 7M-GE analogy shows how many people think that something is a dog through anecdotal evidence. People still shudder when you mention the 7M. :(

Well maybe every bike failure you've seen is user error. Mine posted was factory error. Either way i like KTM's just shared my experience. Also recently saw one break in half at my local track on a double . My 320lb friend hit the same double and didnt break his bike altho the 150lb guy next to him at the time snapped his in half lol . User maintenance on this one forsure tho but it was crazy to see. 

I race in the Southern Alberta Cross country and hare scramble competitions. All you see at the starting line is orange with the odd spec of red, blue, and yellow. I am one of the guys on the blue bike and love it. Sure I had to spend a few bucks getting the YZ450 off road worthy but I stand behind it and never has it left me stranded. I dont want to be part of the croud with a pumpkin bike even though they are definitly doing something right when everyone says they love them. Ill stick by Yamaha as long as they keep building durable reliable bikes with some serious jam. As far as KTM... I like seeing them in my dust!! hahaha :p

• Like 1

Honda won a championship last week in Utah. 1 round early. I guess you could say that was a long time ago since the final round was yesterday.

Yeah because that is the same bike you get off the showroom floor?  lol

Mark

I had a 90 Supra with that motor....it lasted 100K miles before the head gasket let loose, then I did 'the process' and built the motor to haul the mail. Sold that thing a few years back and recently saw it at a local strip. Asked the current owner(a different guy) about it, he claims to have not had a problem with it since he bought it.  I didn't say anything about it being formerly mine, but I remember some rigs I made and how I routed the exhaust...still there.

• Like 2

My first bike was a KTM 250 EXC. 

Only time I broke down on a trail was because I didn't pay attention and ran a wire wrong that after 4 hours of riding melted to the pipe. Oops.

My new (to me) 2008 250 XC is an amazing bike. Average ride is 7 hours, with multiple day trips often. Never had an issue.

The fit and finish of my KTM, and everyone who I know who has one is perfect.

When I get on the other brands, I feel like everything is going to fall apart. 

but I guess I am just one satisfied owner.

• Like 2

I had a 90 Supra with that motor....it lasted 100K miles before the head gasket let loose, then I did 'the process' and built the motor to haul the mail. Sold that thing a few years back and recently saw it at a local strip. Asked the current owner(a different guy) about it, he claims to have not had a problem with it since he bought it.  I didn't say anything about it being formerly mine, but I remember some rigs I made and how I routed the exhaust...still there.

Yeah, we had a '89 Cressida as a family car for a while. Very smooth, very refined as only a straight 6 can be. Must have been great with a turbo and a tough build/tune.

It never did a head-gasket in my memory, but I was young. Preventative maintenance was probably performed on it, it was 16+ years old when we got rid of it and it never had a fault.

Edit* : it was owned from new.

Cheers

Edited by BushPig

Yeah because that is the same bike you get off the showroom floor? lol

Is any bike the same off the showroom floor? It's a platform to work from. KTM's Ian Harrison will mod your 350 motor for about $3500 in house.

Mark

They don't ever make mistakes at their job!

That's why they don't like to see problems with their bikes.

They've never had a new car with issues. They live in the perfect world.

Damn. Where can i get some of this 'perfect world' you speak of :excuseme:  :D

I was listening to a podcast interviewing Rich Taylor, owner of Ecks brand goggles and a bike tester for multiple magazines and even factory honda and suzuki.  He said that there is no need to mod a stock bike for anyone but the very top pro riders.  a 450 has more stinking power than you need.  Throw on a pipe and go rip. Maybe thats the problem, so many people mod the shit out of their bike and wonder why they blow up.  The more power you squeeze out of a motor the less time that its going to last.  That is a fact.  Pro motors are built to run for 35 min x 2.

At my local track today they had woods guys there with a experienced guu teaching a class. The instructor was talking about bike setup for about 30mins. Everyone left him fooling with his bike for 30 mins after thay trying to.start it . Bike was a 300 ktm was just funny after reading this thread . Oh and a guy was messing with his cam and stuff on his honda .

At my local track today they had woods guys there with a experienced guu teaching a class. The instructor was talking about bike setup for about 30mins. Everyone left him fooling with his bike for 30 mins after thay trying to.start it . Bike was a 300 ktm was just funny after reading this thread . Oh and a guy was messing with his cam and stuff on his honda .

Huh?
  • Like 3