Why KTM motorcycles are ruining off-road motorcycle riding

I'm assuming the 200s are KTM 2t? Why would one suggest that over say a cr250? As a woods only, non racing, "ride for fun only" rider, is there a certain bike I should look at for my next bike/1st 2t? Or, what would you suggest? I am not too cool to ride red or orange or yellow or blue. I like my Hondas but riding is riding to me.

Does anyone ACTUALLY think KTMs are ruining off road? I sure don't.

Edited by cooldudesmd

Work for both? Not sure what you mean.

My KTM is a 2009 XC. My Kx100 (107) that I did the full rebuild on is now being ridden by my son. Although it is a BLAST to ride (me being short, it's so easy to ride), after riding a full sized bike, I can never go back. The 200 does everything I ask it, with ease. And it's surprisingly fast IMO. So the 100 will probably be sold next year after my boy grows out of it. I'll just leave that one alone.

Lol Sycamore cracks me up. A few pages back he was ragging on KTMs, my 200 girl bike in particular.

I think he would be a fun drinking buddy...

Oh, I thought you were still riding the kx 250 as well.

Oh, I thought you were still riding the kx 250 as well.

No, it's up for sale for several months now. With only 4 hours on it, I figure that'll be a good selling point, so I'm avoiding adding time to the meter. But I do wish I could ride it. It is a blast when it hits the pipe in 4th gear! Like an RPG.

I think I picked a bad time to sell it, though. So I'll probably be sitting on it till spring. I refuse to give it away for some of the stupid offers I've received.

I'm assuming the 200s are KTM 2t? Why would one suggest that over say a cr250? As a woods only, non racing, "ride for fun only" rider, is there a certain bike I should look at for my next bike/1st 2t? Or, what would you suggest? I am not too cool to ride red or orange or yellow or blue. I like my Hondas but riding is riding to me.

Do some research. There are a lot of differences in a purpose-built woods bike. You can make the MX bikes good for woods, but after all the money you'll spend, you'll come off cheaper buying a W or an X.

Or better yet, try to ride some different ones. I knew the differences long before I bought my 200. But the first time I rode it, I fell in love with it. It was the epiphany of "so THAT'S why they make woods bikes!"

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

The author of this thread did think this at the time of starting the thread. He doesn't check back regularly as the whole thread has derailed slightly off topic since then. :D

:naughty:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    :lol: 

Was it just my imagination, or was every blow up a 4t??

I love the clips of the ones that grenade at the track, and you can hear the 2t's ripping by hahaha

:bonk:

Dontcha know? any CRF YZF KXF RMZ will blow up after one hour of track riding. :bonk:

Two strokes won't though. Nope. Not ever. Can't bust 'em. 

• Like 3

No, it's up for sale for several months now. With only 4 hours on it, I figure that'll be a good selling point, so I'm avoiding adding time to the meter. But I do wish I could ride it. It is a blast when it hits the pipe in 4th gear! Like an RPG.

I think I picked a bad time to sell it, though. So I'll probably be sitting on it till spring. I refuse to give it away for some of the stupid offers I've received.

Do some research. There are a lot of differences in a purpose-built woods bike. You can make the MX bikes good for woods, but after all the money you'll spend, you'll come off cheaper buying a W or an X.

Or better yet, try to ride some different ones. I knew the differences long before I bought my 200. But the first time I rode it, I fell in love with it. It was the epiphany of "so THAT'S why they make woods bikes!"

I guess that's what I was wondering. I don't want a race bike to do a woods bikes job. I'd rather have the appropriate ride to begin with.

yup but kawi used to make a kdx 200 which was legendary.

Why a ktm 200 over a cr250 for example?, lights, estart, 18 inch wheel, bigger tank, heavier flywheel, lower first gear, woods suspension valving, and some descent high speeds.  If you need all those things it would probably benefit to go that route.

However if you dont need estart, lights, higher speeds, granny gear then a mx bike will be fine.

big tank $200

18 inch wheel $200

suspension valving   $200

But keep an eye out for clean used ones that may already have that stuff.

Edited by Sycamore
  • Like 2

KTM started the fad of Black rims.  Stupid color on a dirt bike I know but people evidently like them and now look at the copy cats doing the same.  Zero imagination out there.  A nutless monkey can copy and it looks like all the other brands are just that.........;)

KTM started the fad of Black rims. Stupid color on a dirt bike I know but people evidently like them and now look at the copy cats doing the same. Zero imagination out there. A nutless monkey can copy and it looks like all the other brands are just that.........;)

They sure do look good against green, though. Not only Kawasaki, but Ossa's too:

image.jpeg

What I hate about them is that they've made changing my own tires a virtual impossibility without scratching them up.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Which is another way to say black rims are stupid, personally I like the look/utility of silver rims.

I think I did say stupid, more proof the copy cats (all of them) will do anything to mimic ktm!!  ;)

I have the black rims on my new bike now, and I'd be lying if I said they didn't look good.  My first ride was yesterday and they are already scratched to chit.  Should look real good in a year.  lol

I think I did say stupid, more proof the copy cats (all of them) will do anything to mimic ktm!!  ;)

I have the black rims on my new bike now, and I'd be lying if I said they didn't look good.  My first ride was yesterday and they are already scratched to chit.  Should look real good in a year.  lol

They make it easy to spot the posers though.    :smirk:

• Like 1