KRAYNIAL

Why KTM motorcycles are ruining off-road motorcycle riding

7 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There’s a vet rider locally that had a yammie 125 with a big bore top end and a rekluse. He can ride all kinds of different size bikes good. Now he’s full on into Surron ebikes in trails. Whatever floats yur boat. If it makes you happy ride it. There’s a pile of ebikes in the trails now with a bunch of good ex gas powered dirt bike riders doing the transition over. They call me to join them but Im not ready to go to the electric side  yet. 

I would if I could afford a good one, but over here, I can get a new dirt bike for less. 

I liked the Alta, wasn't a fan of the weight, even if it did feel light to ride. I don't have a problem with weight, until I unexpectedly, stop :D.
Anyway, I'm keen on E-bikes, but, i want mine to still look like what I'm riding now, and lighter. I'm not ready to give up on gas though. "Variety is the true spice of life".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

A video has nothing on you and your keyboard... Me on the other hand, well, got the best of ya a couple times.   You remember why you flipped out, your own threads  came back to haunt you.

Uhh really?? Where’d ya get that.. You really are a legend your own mind. Hey if you feel better go ahead and enjoy.. :ride:

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I don't ride many other people's bikes, just normally to busy to think about it. But, I rode my mates 04 CRF250R, Craig Anderson was the Aussie MX champ at that time. His mechanic is a mate, he built this bike, he now owns "KroozeTune Suspension". The rider is about 5/2", and a feather weight, but A-grader. I was 6/2 and 100 kilo at the time, much bigger.
I rode the bike at a track I was used to, but the hardest track in our series. I've to this day, never ridden a better bike. Kinda embarrassed to admit that tbh. But, I'll never forget it, only spun a few laps. I had a very good bike myself, spent thousands on it, but, after riding his bike, I've never been 100% happy with any other bike. The suspension was ridiculous.
The bike was an exact replica of the Aust teams 250 at the time that Troy Doran was racing.

They had valve issues from memory, Honda were blaming poor air filter maintenance by the owners. That was the exact moment Honda started their decline in popularity.

My son rode that CRF250R for 2+ years thru area/regional LL’s qualifiers & many local races & when I traded it for a 2006 CRF450R in the fall of ‘06, I had never adjusted the valves & it still started on the 3rd kick. I do keep the air filters/oil/oil filters cleaned/changed regularly. It did need new clutch plates. His 2011 CRF450R has never had the valves adjusted & it too will start on the 3rd kick when cold. 

Edited by dfesmire99
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dfesmire99 said:

My son rode that CRF250R for 2+ years thru area/regional LL’s qualifiers & many local races & when I traded it for a 2006 CRF450R in the fall of ‘06, I had never adjusted the valves & it still started on the 3 kick. I do keep the air filters/oil/oil filters cleaned/changed regularly. It did need new clutch plates. His 2011 CRF450R has never had the valves adjusted & it too will start on the 3rd kick when cold. 

My mates lasted the season, bouncing off the rev limiter most of the time :D

The problem, from memory, was mainly the coating on the valve, the KXF/RMZ had the same issues in 04. It was more about Honda blaming the customers that didn't go down well at that time.
Plus, Honda getting the blame of for the whole 2T thing around the same time. Before 04, other than the 97 model 250, Honda could do no wrong :D

My first bike was a Honda, my first real race bike was an 89 CR250. I loved that bike. Only good memories on Honda's for me. I was just sayin.

Last Honda i had was actually an 04 CRF250X. After riding 'ol mates, I'm thinking, what could be better off road than an off road version of that 04 model i rode. The X is much taller,top heavy, and, I hated it TBH. Tried to make it into something I liked, spent heaps, but "You can't turn pig shit into jam".

001_zpsbe90d585.jpg

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

I wouldn't ride a 450 in the woods without a Rekluse auto clutch. They're more fun just for starters.

My KX450F never had one, but it was my MX bike. I had a Rekluse in my Beta450RR, and made the bike heaps more fun, and faster in ST.

I had a Rekluse Z start in my 03 WR450 6 months after I bought her...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Right?! Cuz every other thread on TT is 100% serious bizness!

Dirt biking in general is supposed to be devoid of jovial banter, especially when the subject is ktm.  Our lives are full of fun and a laugh a minute, there should be one place to come to and be our serious selves.....

KTM is ruining dirt biking by providing providing an outlet for those who just arent that serious....they have tried to remedy their failures by introducing TPI so there is hope.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KTM may have problems, they especially did many many years ago, but what brand hasn’t, didn’t, or doesn’t.... I still prefer my specific brand choices, however I can still appreciate and support specific models of other brands purpose built bikes. Eventually I may even consider changing to one of those other brands as my body breaks down more. KTM has a lot of great shit out there and if KTM/Husky can bring enjoyment to riders by offering bikes they like, then long live KTM. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sycamore said:

Dirt biking in general is supposed to be devoid of jovial banter, especially when the subject is ktm.  Our lives are full of fun and a laugh a minute, there should be one place to come to and be our serious selves.....

You need to go to ktmtalk, for that.....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

My mates lasted the season, bouncing off the rev limiter most of the time :D

The problem, from memory, was mainly the coating on the valve, the KXF/RMZ had the same issues in 04. It was more about Honda blaming the customers that didn't go down well at that time.
Plus, Honda getting the blame of for the whole 2T thing around the same time. Before 04, other than the 97 model 250, Honda could do no wrong :D

My first bike was a Honda, my first real race bike was an 89 CR250. I loved that bike. Only good memories on Honda's for me. I was just sayin.

Last Honda i had was actually an 04 CRF250X. After riding 'ol mates, I'm thinking, what could be better off road than an off road version of that 04 model i rode. The X is much taller,top heavy, and, I hated it TBH. Tried to make it into something I liked, spent heaps, but "You can't turn pig shit into jam".

001_zpsbe90d585.jpg

I started out on a Honda a SL 100 and rode it for a year then went to a Bultaco, Maicos, CZ, YAMAHA, back to Honda’s, they all were good rides but man the Honda reliability you just can’t beat all the way down to lawn equipment, I’m now riding a husqvarna te300 and love it but still have a few Honda’s in the stable, shit man all the bikes are good what ever you like just have some fun

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Donaldp said:

I started out on a Honda a SL 100 and rode it for a year then went to a Bultaco, Maicos, CZ, YAMAHA, back to Honda’s, they all were good rides but man the Honda reliability you just can’t beat all the way down to lawn equipment, I’m now riding a husqvarna te300 and love it but still have a few Honda’s in the stable, shit man all the bikes are good what ever you like just have some fun

I think, especially after my last ride. The bike is only as good as the riders physical fitness :D

I ride small bore 2T's, because that's what my currant physical condition allows me to ride best/most efficiently. Still not good in my case, but, would be worse on any other type of bike. Ie 450 MX'er

I wasn't enjoying my riding, until I became realistic, and honest with myself about what I was capable of riding "properly". I don't ride much these days, unfortunately, but, I'm enjoying my riding more than ever before.

I'm not really brand loyal. I'm loyal to whatever I'm riding at the time. Mainly for the bench racing side of things. 

• Like 2

I was watching Cody Webb last night. He's not that fast, just extremely physically, and mentally, fit. His pace is very consistent. His skill is obviously very good as well, but, It's the fitness that makes the difference.

With physical and mental fitness, comes the most Important thing of all. Confidence. When a rider is at their physical peak, it becomes about confidence in the bike.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I think, especially after my last ride. The bike is only as good as the riders physical fitness :D

I ride small bore 2T's, because that's what my currant physical condition allows me to ride best/most efficiently. Still not good in my case, but, would be worse on any other type of bike. Ie 450 MX'er

I wasn't enjoying my riding, until I became realistic, and honest with myself about what I was capable of riding "properly". I don't ride much these days, unfortunately, but, I'm enjoying my riding more than ever before.

I'm not really brand loyal. I'm loyal to whatever I'm riding at the time. Mainly for the bench racing side of things. 

yep...I don't ride my CRF450X much...its the light, agile 144 2T that's most fun for me, now.

I have fun with 250 2Ts when things open up...like on a track.

the 450Fs are animals...but, a waste for me.

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Donaldp said:

I had a used '70 CL100 then a used '71 SL100 as a kid. 👍😀

I never knew how terrible those bikes were...they were loads of fun to a kid and I rode those Hondas a lot.

Edited by SlowDinoDog

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SlowDinoDog said:

I had a used '70 CL100 then a used '71 SL100 as a kid. 👍😀

I never knew how terrible those bikes were...they were loads of fun to a kid and I rode those Hondas a lot.

Friend’s SL100 smoked my XR75 often. It was the torque monster. I swear he had a sl125 big bore hidden in there. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

I was watching Cody Webb last night. He's not that fast, just extremely physically, and mentally, fit. His pace is very consistent. His skill is obviously very good as well, but, It's the fitness that makes the difference.

With physical and mental fitness, comes the most Important thing of all. Confidence. When a rider is at their physical peak, it becomes about confidence in the bike.

I think it's probably equal parts skill and fitness. I've raced briefly with Cody Webb, i.e. he passed me and I followed him for about 30 seconds. A humble-brag on my part, but I'm probably as fit or almost as fit as a lot of the hard-enduro guys...I average about 15 hours a week of exercise. The difference is the their technical ability. To ride their 'easy' pace through technical sections, I'm close to the limit of my abilities. Even the last hard enduro I raced, I physically had more left in the tank, but my mind was absolutely trashed if that makes sense.

The physical fitness is huge. I've almost always been in pretty good shape, but I've really stepped it up in the last 2 years. I'm as fast as I was 4-5 years ago when I was riding 250 hours a year and competing in observed trials, and I hardly even ride dirtbikes anymore. My improved fitness is filling in the gaps of technique/skill that I probably don't have anymore.

I totally agree that when it all comes together, it's easy to be confident in yourself. It's kinda corny, but when the bike setup is spot-on and I'm physically solid, I feel like a finely-tuned robot/machine.:D

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

7 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

Where were you watching him????

8 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

I don’t know. I don’t agree. I think it’s also he’s super quick and he makes better choices of lines too. He’s smart. I don’t think it’s fitness first. He is super fast. It’s just a different style of riding super fast for hard enduro. It’s expending the least amount of energy for riding and racing all day. It is consistent. It’s not making mistakes and if you do you recover quickly and smoothly. It’s being just above idle in the highest gears possible and rolling forward faster. I don’t think you have to be in the greatest shape if you are riding smart and not expending as much energy. No doubt it helps to be very fit and be around 6’4” to be able to touch ground in the few times he might need to. He is so talented as a rider. I think watching Cody and his lines is so much like watching jarvis in his race vids. Real smooth and low rpm.. few mistakes... Fast but with very low rpm.. He takes advantage of tiny moments of opportunity to pass quickly. He’s flying here especially for this type of terrain and riding all day..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1