Sign in to follow this  

2011 rmz exhaust loud all of the sudden

Today I was riding and all of the sudden my exhaust got really loud. It has a brand new yoshimura rs4 and has 1 hour on it. What would cause this? Could it be that the bike is running too rich due to increase in humidity/less air? I had grey coupler/rich in because I thought that when you run a pipe you have to compensate for the increase exhaust gas release. This is bizarre. Nothing is loose or anything. I have the insert still in because I haven't had time to get a torx key set. I'm not sure if I could tell if i lost power or not. All valves are in spec and the bike starts first kick. I put the stock map back in and it was back to normal. I am a little worried about this. Very bizarre. Has anyone else experienced this?

Exhaust got loud or the engine got loud? The exhaust will get louder the first time riding. This is because the packing is first exposed to heat and it breaks down slightly. Aftermarket exhausts are loud. They claim they are AMA legal at 94db,but that could be for 20minutes. As long as its not popping,detonating or doing anything else bad..wouldn't worry. If its that loud,contact yosh and tell them. Last thing you want is a loud bike. It pisses people off and gets tracks closed. Put the stocker on and see how it is.

The exhaust got unmistakeably louder. it was way quieter the last time i rode it/ most of the day yesterday. It actually was pretty quiet. Now it is annoyingly loud.. im pretty upset about it. i cant get it to go away. I actually had the same issue with the stock one. I rode it for an hour and had no problems. Next time I go to the track (yesterday) one of the last times I fired it up it was extremely loud and had kind of a poppy note at idle. I pulled it all apart and looked at the brass ring gasket and there's like a little black soot patch at the lower left corner. Would that cause this? Would running rich cause it?

Edited by perkybewbs

Sorry.l,but I Dont believe any of those are the cause. What about right at the cylinder head where the mates? The seal that was a little black..sounds like a spot for exhaust leak. You can try high temp silicone on the joints. Way an exhaust works is pretty simple. Its just a pipe with a seal/bolts or springs at header entrance to pipe,the mid pipe or sections after that are either slip fit or compression fit with a clamp and seal. Any gaps can cause air leaks,which typically show up as pops or backfire sounds on deceleration or compression braki g. The silencer is just a perforated core (holes punched in a pipe). Packing surrounds the pipe and absorbs sound. If the packing in the exhaust pipe/silencer or the perforated pipe inside the silencer get wet,oily,burnt or break..the exhaust can become loud.

I would take the exhaust system apart. Inspect and replace the packing material. Buy a new seal at the cylinder head where the pipe mounts into it. Use high temp silicone to help seal up any joints. Another item to inspect is the air filter,air boot and throttle body. If the air filter or air boot comes off or loose,similar noise can be heard.

The exhaust is brand spankin new. No way the packing blew out. I am going to replace the copper ring I guess. I thought ht was indicative of a leak, just want to verify that. How difficult is it to remove and install that? Seems like a bitch to me. Thanks for the reply.

The exhaust is brand spankin new. No way the packing blew out. I am going to replace the copper ring I guess. I thought ht was indicative of a leak, just want to verify that. How difficult is it to remove and install that? Seems like a bitch to me. Thanks for the reply.

Copper ring just sits right at the head. Just pull out and put new in. easy. I realize the exhaust is brand new. That is what does not make any sense. especially since you said it did the same with stock exhaust. If the packing got wet or hot-it can be damaged. Not saying it is blown out..just stating the facts. An exhaust is pretty simple as I explained above. It can only be a couple things. Best of luck

That is true. It does it off and on, didnt know about the black spot on the ring when I posted this. Assuming it does that because oxygen is mixed with the exhaust gasses and can I guess keep them hotter longer? Just a guess. No violence.