Sign in to follow this  

08 YZ450 forks interchange with a 06

I have a buddy that has a set of forks and shock off of a 08 YZ450 that I was going to buy as a back up set. Are the internals interchangeable between the 08 & 06 Forks? Thanks!

Different axle lug off set and axle size. Won't work.

Edited by ActiveRide

The internals will interchange, but the money you would spend on the '08 fork would be better used to revalve yours, IMO.  There's nothing different inside the '08 that can't be either duplicated or improved on with the original internals of the '06.

The two problems with using the '08 on an '06 are that the brake caliper from the '06 won't bolt on, and the fat end of the axle is smaller.  The wheels interchange, however, and the caliper can be adapted by using the '08 bracket (not sold separate from the caliper), or by cutting out a new one from scratch.

Thank you for the quick response guys. I am purchasing them just to have spare parts. I am buying the forks and shock for $150 so I figured I can't go wrong.

You mean that the '08 caliper is the same bolt pattern so that the '06 can be bolted on, don't you?

The '08 YZ450 picked up the smaller sized caliper from the '07+ YZ250F that year, and the master cylinder was changed to match.  They have to be used as a pair to function properly.

You mean that the '08 caliper is the same bolt pattern so that the '06 can be bolted on, don't you?

The '08 YZ450 picked up the smaller sized caliper from the '07+ YZ250F that year, and the master cylinder was changed to match.  They have to be used as a pair to function properly.

Hm, didn't know that part.  But an '06 or so system can bolt up with the right adapter, that's all.

I'm trying to remove the axel lug from the lower fork tube. Does that mushroomed set screw have to come out first? The damn screw won't budge and fork tube won't turn. Grrrrr!