Sign in to follow this  

EXHAUST MOD FOR BETTER/MORE SOUND?

Hello, I am wanting to know if there is a mod I can do to my stock muffler to get a little louder sound out of it? I know the spark arrestor can be removed but I have read that doing so will mess with back pressure? I have also read that some people cut off the spark arrestor (wire mesh at the tip of removable tube) and this will not alter back pressure?

I would just like a little more sound out of the exhaust. It is so quiet now I find it difficult judging rpm's and getting smooth shifts/clutch releases. I will be ordering a EJK programmer in the next few weeks for my bike. I do plan on upgrading the exhaust but that will be a while down the road.

I have the DRC Edge 2 tailight and 602 Flashers on the bike.

Thanks very much for the info!!

Edited by lhgdale81

There is a thread somewhere (maybe on advrider if you can't find it here) with someone showing how they modified it - but it was quite a lot of work. i think it might have been on  Rick Ramsey's blog.  Forget the "back pressure", it's mostly an "urban legend." 

Ok thanks, I have googled it multiple times but I will try again. The posts I saw we're people either just removing the spark arrestor or cutting off the mesh wire tip. None of the posts were very detailed though.

Thanks again

There is a thread somewhere (maybe on advrider if you can't find it here) with someone showing how they modified it - but it was quite a lot of work. i think it might have been on  Rick Ramsey's blog.  Forget the "back pressure", it's mostly an "urban legend." 

Here is the Rick Ramsey link that shows his exhaust mod.  You can decide for yourself, but aftermarket is easier...

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lcccmods.htm

Edited by dkappelm

I pulled my spark arrestor few weeks ago. Like you I was looking for more sound from stock (and I'm one of the few who actually like the stock pipe over aftermarket.) If there are back pressure issues it is nothing I feel. With the arrestor removed bike sounds as loud as my crf450r so there's plenty of bark.

It's easy enough to take in and out too so give it a try.

• Like 1

I pulled my spark arrestor few weeks ago. Like you I was looking for more sound from stock (and I'm one of the few who actually like the stock pipe over aftermarket.) If there are back pressure issues it is nothing I feel. With the arrestor removed bike sounds as loud as my crf450r so there's plenty of bark.

It's easy enough to take in and out too so give it a try.

Be careful not to melt your turn signal ...  :prof:

Also the slip on's are about 12 lbs lighter that the stock monster mufler ... might not sound like much but because it is high up weight it makes a big difference  .... 

• Like 2

ah, right, the link is here already - i was just about to paste the link to Rick Ramsey's page. ...sheesh, what a lot of work he does. Now the details - and good photos, as usual - are there for removing the PAIR valve stuff. 

yes, like dkappelm said, it sure is easier to get the aftermarket exhaust. Just more expensive and louder, and Rick did all that for the sake of having it quieter than the Q4.  ^^

Be careful not to melt your turn signal ...  :prof:

Also the slip on's are about 12 lbs lighter that the stock monster mufler ... might not sound like much but because it is high up weight it makes a big difference  ....

I'm running the 12 o'clock labs integrated tail light but agree, wouldn't pull spark arrestor with turn signals still on. Aftermarket is defiantly the way to go for so many reasons. I'm just sticking with stock purely on I like the look better. My L is a commuter show pony.

image.jpg

• Like 2

:-0 He did a crap ton of work on that stock exhaust. I think I will remove the spark arrestor and keep a close eye on the right side turn signal. Once I buy the EJK I will start saving for an after market slip on.

Removing all those canisters and hoses would make me nervous.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Like 1

I've been doing watching exhaust videos on you tube and comparing the FMF Q4 and Powercore the Powercore sounds better to ME. The powercore us also cheaper? I do plan on getting a head pipe in the distant future so my mods will be in stages. I bought this bike to put a lot of miles on mostly street with some trail riding. I am ignorant when it comes to this type of bike and engine mods.

Thanks for the help.

I removed the spark arrestor today and made a plate to direct the exhaust away my right turn signal. It seems to work, I rode the bike and no hot exhaust is being blown on the signal. The bike seems to run normal if not a little better and being able to hear the exhaust really helps me judge rpm and shift points. 

378ABFCF-1F6E-4689-A60D-F2D8D50E5EF0-229

E8E7123D-5532-4923-B9F9-94D738657C66-229

• Like 2