Sign in to follow this  

Arm pump solutions?

First off, let me say that I searched for this topic and didnt find the answers I was looking for. I also want to make it clear that I understand training and seat time are the only real long term solutions for arm pump. However, I was wondering what are some "short term" arm pump solutions? I know aspirin can often help some but does anyone have any other tips? Any diet tips or anything?

i work with motorcycle riders on there fitness and  the more you ride, the less you will overall become fatigued. But off the motorbike you can improve and reduce arm pump by improving your CV fitness, strengthen up your core / full body. If you become tired then you will overall start to become fatigued, more stress through your forearms and more likely to have Arm pump. Work out your racing Heart Rate by using a heart rate watch, train at that level, lots of power explosive / endurance training with the correct meal plan and you will reduce arm pump.   :)

Hope this helps..  

Jack 

Edited by Jack Groves
  • Like 3

Thanks for the tips Jack!  When I climbed I'd do single arm lock-offs to reduce arm/shoulder pump and they are quite effective for the pulling efforts.  For muscular/body balance, I start my planks with extended arms and lower about 10 degrees each minute until my chest touches the ground.  All you need to do these two exercises is a floor and something to hang from.  Here is an image of ze Germans doing single arm finger lock offs.wolfgang+g%C3%BCllich+y+kurt+albert+one+  Start with using both arms for at least a couple weeks before committing to one arm.

Edited by MTmoto

Take midol and eat a banana before riding. Midol is what girls use for cramps but it works and the potassium in the bananas help with muscle aches.

My chiro turned me on some sort of metal tool he uses to scrap the surface of forearms, calves.  He is a pro cyclists.  I have to ask him what it is called again, but it works!  Sadly he charges 45 bucks a treatment & it seems I need it weekly for it to work

My chiro turned me on some sort of metal tool he uses to scrap the surface of forearms, calves.  He is a pro cyclists.  I have to ask him what it is called again, but it works!  Sadly he charges 45 bucks a treatment & it seems I need it weekly for it to work

Most likely its a soft tissue mobilzation tool or myo-bar. The technique is called myofascial release and its a type of massage you can do without any special tool. Im a certified massage therapist and i do this teqnique without any tools but the tools help apply deep pressure on a small point. MFT or myo work is usually painfull and is performed in short - long strokes in the same direction as the muscle fibers just google myofacscial release forearms.

• Like 3

i work with motorcycle riders on there fitness and the more you ride, the less you will overall become fatigued. But off the motorbike you can improve and reduce arm pump by improving your CV fitness, strengthen up your core / full body. If you become tired then you will overall start to become fatigued, more stress through your forearms and more likely to have Arm pump. Work out your racing Heart Rate by using a heart rate watch, train at that level, lots of power explosive / endurance training with the correct meal plan and you will reduce arm pump. :)

Hope this helps..

Jack

very well spoken

Just Jerk off.

Focus on enduro. Your girl will thank you. Thats a win win.

There's now a surgery that can be done to stop arm pump but that's unnecessary, just work out, itll stop your arm pump and make you overall more healthy.

Dont hold on so tight.. Thats why you get it in the first place.. Dont everyone start tellin me that its something else.. when you squeeze or make a fist it automatically cuts off your circulation to your hands and forearms because they are so tense.. Relax a little when you ride and try and not to grip the bars so tight. I bet it works for you...

I noticed that when I was lifting weights, that I would get arm pump when I rode. Don't know why, but that was my experience. Also as stated above holding on too tight promotes arm pump. Seems simple but it's true. My problem lately is hand numbness. Not always, and usually for 10-15 minutes then it goes away. Chiro says it pinched neck nerves? Also pickle juice works for cramps. Strange but true! Google it, college football teams have proved it. It worked for me also in the past. Haven't had that problem for awhile; I think because I hydrate better.

Some random things I found in search of an arm pump article in a DR magazine. Neither of these is the article I was searching for but interesting none the less.

http://www.dirtrider.com/community/staff-blogs/klim-attacks-arm-pump-let-s-play-raquetball/

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/parts-accessories/141_0805_nuetech_arm_pump_eliminator/

The article I'm looking for had some things I tried in it two or three years ago. Wrapping the fore arms after they get pumped during practice was one of them. The wrap was to be done tightly but not so tight that your hand turns blue... I'll look for it at home later.

Workouts I have done to aid to lower arm pump were things like pull ups, dead lifts, farmer carry. All things involving hand/forearm strength. Hanging from a pull up bar as long as possible was a rough one. And my favorite was having the old fashion hand squeezer things in my truck and using the while driving around. All just ideas. What works for me may not work for you.

Arm pump is not always due to muscles issues & may not be solvable, some just have to get used to it for good.  I did find moving my bars further forward helped quite a bit the last few times out, still not a cure though.  

Intersting topic,, ive been getting soreness on my throttle side forearm,, it will cramp up while doing hard ridin in technical tight trails,then be sore for a few days after,not sure if this is the same as arm pump,, the area of soreness is the outside of my lower forearm,a couple inches above my wrist,, any advice or tips on excersise would be greatly appreciated,tnx!

Tell you what completely cleared it up for me. I started having blood clots in my legs so my Dr prescribed compression hose (scks) to improve the circulation in my legs. I cut the feet off of a pair and wore them on my forearms, worked great, completely stopped the arm pump!

• Like 2

Tell you what completely cleared it up for me. I started having blood clots in my legs so my Dr prescribed compression hose (scks) to improve the circulation in my legs. I cut the feet off of a pair and wore them on my forearms, worked great, completely stopped the arm pump!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15281126&cp=4406646.4413887.4414035.4414031#BVRRWidgetID