Removing helmet lock

#9 in the first pic is the helmet lock ... you may have to remove some fender parts to get to the bolts ...  :excuseme:

Why would you want to remove it ?

I don't use mine often but if in a strange area or out drinking I will ... would hate to come out of a bar half looped and not have a helmet.  :cheers:

0_0.png1_0.png0_0.png1_0.png

• Like 1

remove seat

remove hook bolts and collars

slightly spread side covers and release the bosses and tabs

remove the upper fender. 

this should expose the bolts your looking for .... 

does this help ? 

i pissed around - with not enough light - trying Allen key bits, i thought it was a security Allen with the little goodie in the center, but it's a special Honda bolt, so i cut slots in them with the Dremel. 

i pissed around - with not enough light - trying Allen key bits, i thought it was a security Allen with the little goodie in the center, but it's a special Honda bolt, so i cut slots in them with the Dremel. 

Yeah, its the same bolts they use for the ignition, why, I'm not sure! I took mine out and replaced with standard allen's.

And if someone really wants your helmet they will get it, no matter!

• Like 1

There is no bit that would get it out, not even a special tool; there is just nothing in it - in the socket head for any bit to turn.
yeah, of course, they would just cut the strap. Maybe different for those who live in these quiet towns and suburbs in the USA, or in NZ.

I have to remove/replace my helmet lock (replacing a bent sub-frame).  Was cutting a groove in the bolt head with a Dremel the best way to get these out?  If so, do you just cut a straight line for a flat blade screwdriver to grab?  Any tips?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by mbeiley

It's been a while since I took mine off. But doesn't an Allan key fit? It's just shallow so ya got to press hard?

Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It's been a while since I took mine off. But doesn't an Allan key fit? It's just shallow so ya got to press hard?

Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Allen wrench will work but it's not an exact fit. The heads are shallow and have very little grip. I used a 4mm and just pressed into the head firmly and slowly turned them out. Use standard allen heads if going to replace.

Mine look round in the center.  The service manual says "use a drill or an equivalent tool" when removing.  I think I may use an easy out, and if for some reason I can't get it that way, use the dremel technique to cut a notch in the head.  Plan to replace with regular allen heads.

How do you use the helmet lock. I was wondering what that was for lol. And why do you want to remove it?

I needed to remove it in order to replace the sub-frame, which I bent.  In order to get the black plastic piece off the sub-frame you have to remove the helmet lock.  BTW, an easy-out worked great to get those bolts out.  Here are some pictures of the black plastic piece I am referring to:

20160507_125926_zpsi5sr92gl.jpg20160508_131747_zps5rjwztbk.jpg

and when my sub-frame bent it broke this black plastic piece.  Epoxied it back together:

20160510_173303_zpsmh8s9ygb.jpg

• Like 1

for this is really stupid feature, not sure why they put it same as passenger footpegs. All there add to unnecessary weight. What's the problem with cutting off strap with D-ring if somebody likes my helmet???

I would never leave my helmet on the bike.

Edited by motf

Like many things it keeps the honest people honest... Same with the ignition key. Mine still has the passengers pegs as I'll give the ride some where... My street bike on the other hand has no back seat or pegs.