Sign in to follow this  

LED Headlights

Only a couple are that I know of and they are made by Trucklite and JW Speaker and they are big and $$$.

The one in the link is not DOT approved. Hi and low beam on that is just 1 light or 2 lights on. There would be no cutoff to the light pattern on that unit.

You will still need some aux lighting. 6w total of chicom LEDs won't cut it.

The link is "another one".  Acerbis, Trailtech and someone else on there all make a DOT legal LED, which is what I was commenting on, then I saw the other one for all dirt and for use by those that don't have a rewound stator. ;) 

The DOT LED's are higher wattage, like 50watts.

Edited by MindBlower

The link is "another one".  Acerbis, Trailtech and someone else on there all make a DOT legal LED, which is what I was commenting on, then I saw the other one for all dirt and for use by those that don't have a rewound stator. ;)

The DOT LED's are higher wattage, like 50watts.

Nope, unless the headlight had like 8~16 leds in it it would not draw 50w. I have two 3000l+ LEDs from ADV monster and together they draw about 50w. But they are really 3000l+ each. They are CREE LEDs. You might be seeing that they say they are equivalent to a 50w headlight meaning Halogen comparison. If they mean that, that is a wimpy LED. Each of my LEds are comparable to a 175W headlight. And there is no way it is 50w of LED output, I think mine have 4 5w leds in each light.

524319_488831147876717_2067426620_n.jpg

Edited by KevinsXR

The power consumption (measured in Watts) is no longer a good indication of the luminous intensity output of a light source (measured in candelas, cd). 

Coincidentally, 1 candela = 1 lumen/ steredian.

A typical 10mm bright clear LED (not CREE one) produces about 10 cd and it consumes only about 0.05 Watts, the same consumption a 20 Watt incandescent light bulb would produce. 

A CREE LED (CREE is just a company) with 800 l will need to consume around 10 Watts.

So the consumption of energy per unti time (watts) has greatly deceased with phenomenal increase in luminous intensity. 

Edited by enoxos

I understand about the lower draw with LED's so I wondered how it was 50 watts. Must be that halogen conversion that KevinXR is talking about.  

If your talking about the Acerbic LED Vision HP headlight,,, it's a halogen headlight with a regular H4 bulb. That's what makes it DOT. I'm sure the H4 is of the 35/35 size and the extra 15 watts power use goes to the 20 tiny LED's mounted in the holes around it. They are supposed to be hooked up as running light or I think you can wire them as a turn signal as well.

ace_14_1429020001.jpg

Doh!  Didn't realize it was just LED's around the Halogen.

Thought we had some new options. ....  LOL

If your talking about the Acerbic LED Vision HP headlight,,, it's a halogen headlight with a regular H4 bulb. That's what makes it DOT. I'm sure the H4 is of the 35/35 size and the extra 15 watts power use goes to the 20 tiny LED's mounted in the holes around it. They are supposed to be hooked up as running light or I think you can wire them as a turn signal as well.

ace_14_1429020001.jpg

this light has a terrible light output

I am going to try this cree LED and use it as my low beam the price was right. If money was no object their are much better choices out their but this will work for now.

Light Source:12pcs Cree LEDs

Power Consumption:36W/12x3W

Intensity:3600LM

Operating Voltage:9-32V DC

Waterproof rate:IP67

Color Temperature:6000K

Body Material:Diecast aluminum housing

Lens material:PC

Mounting Bracket:Alu firm bracket

Beam Angle:Combo Beam(8 + 90 degree)

Optional Beam:Spot Beam(8 degree)/Flood Beam(90 degree)

Lifespan:50000 hours above life time

Length of the light bar:7.5 inch/190mm

Size:271.1x86.5x111.2mm

http://

0042_zps553a7573.jpg

http://2ledlight_zps48712b5f.jpg

H1 on the TT and BD 8" units.

OK, cool. I can get an H1 HID bulb to stick in there since I have 2 ballasts and 4 9006 bulbs I am not using.

I want to see might shots of that lightbar.

I'll post some if I ever get this bike done. :rolleyes: