Sign in to follow this  

The $85 wheelie. Share your ticket stories.

Careless ticket + 2 points. They got me.

Got stuck behind some tortoise paced, geriatric operating some boat-like vehicle. Boredom and frustration got the best of me so I fell back and did a couple of wheelies to keep calm. Sure enough some blacked out SUV (even the side lettering was black) comes out of the woodwork and pulls me over :busted:  :doh: . I don't mind the fine so much as I do the points...that and the fact that the vehicles they use are so inconspicuous these days, they are 100% geared for use of revenue generation rather than being visible to the public should a need for assistance arise, but that's more of an aside.

Needless to say I accepted my ticket like a sir and wheelied off into the sunset. :ride:

Edited by KnowUrEnemy
  • Like 3

These bikes can get the best of you!

Riding through this world, all alone...

You guys have it good in New Jersey. Down here is Florida, first wheelie ticket is $1500, 2nd is$ 2500, and third one is $3500, automatic impound of motorcycle, and TEN YEARS motorcycle license suspension...  Ever since i left the DRZ world for my sport bike, I find myself running from Johnny Law alot more often.

You guys have it good in New Jersey. Down here is Florida, first wheelie ticket is $1500, 2nd is$ 2500, and third one is $3500, automatic impound of motorcycle, and TEN YEARS motorcycle license suspension...  Ever since i left the DRZ world for my sport bike, I find myself running from Johnny Law alot more often.

That's ridiculous. Felling much better after hearing that lol.

Edited by KnowUrEnemy

Just got a ticket for speeding 2 days ago... $208, 6 points

He said he clocked me, but he was driving the opposite direction around a curve... whatever

Very difficult to even LOOK at a SM & not think wheelie! I ride dirt only but already have the "itch" for one of those badass wheelie machines especially after looking at all the posted pics on TT. Sorry about your added "points"  :(

Very difficult to even LOOK at a SM & not think wheelie! I ride dirt only but already have the "itch" for one of those badass wheelie machines especially after looking at all the posted pics on TT. Sorry about your added "points"  :(

All good. I got careless in the sense that I should have been more alert before doing one. Can't say I didn't see this happening eventually. :rolleyes:

Just got a ticket for speeding 2 days ago... $208, 6 points

He said he clocked me, but he was driving the opposite direction around a curve... whatever

Whoa, Whoa. 6 points for speeding...on a DRZ? How much over were you supposedly going?

66 in a 35... but I definitely wasn't going that fast. I was definitely speeding though. I should have said I was going 50 or something when he asked me how fast I was going, but all I said was I wasn't sure.

66 in a 35... but I definitely wasn't going that fast. I was definitely speeding though. I should have said I was going 50 or something when he asked me how fast I was going, but all I said was I wasn't sure.

I just don't see how 6 points is anywhere near warranted. Whoever makes these laws/consequences must be smoking crack.

• Like 1

94mph in a 60mph a few months ago. Don't recall the price or points. He was cool and wrote me for 89mph, that meant not going to jail.

• Like 1

jeesh in N.S if the cop wants to a wheelie can go down as "Stunting" which is lost of license and a $10,000 fine.

Back around the dawn of time ( the 70`s ) I was caught doing wheelstands on my IT400F . I was arrested , fingerprinted and photographed , then put in a cell . Queensland police where akin to the gestapo in those days . I was on my lunch break from work , but I was able to call my father who bailed me out and I got back in time to go to work . Within a month I got my day in court and was fined $150 and no points for dangerous driving , phew ! Those days you only had 9 points to play with and I was almost on the limit due to my liking for rear wheel action . Like you I didnt see the cops but they saw me . Nowadays it is just to costly to do this anymore , here in australia they are bringing in new hooligan laws all of the time and it is getting pretty serious if you are caught , in some cases they will take your machine and destroy it . I am trying my best to keep both wheels on the ground nowadays but it is very hard with a nearly 50 hp bike that wants to wheelstand in 1-2-3 at the twist of the throttle . Best to do it in safe , police free areas , greg

• Like 2

Y'all make me glad I never learned how to wheelie............ :excuseme:

• Like 2

Ya those fines some of you get in the sates suck for sure. I never take my dirt bike anywhere near the street so never have to worry about my lack of social control there but have a seriously pimped out GSXR1000K7 that I can't help but act up on when out in areas where I think it is safe from Cops and other assorted hazards, but you never know! I for example passed a slow assed stumpy at what was probably getting close to 180kph wheeling through 2nd and 3rd gear. Now I'm usually not that stupid but once in a while I have way to much adrenaline and do dumb things even still and an age where I should really know better. Here it is called stunting or driving with undue care and attention and the ticket is anywhere from $180 to god knows what and can be added to speeding or what ever as well. If you are caught going 40kph over the limit it is an automatic suspension and vehicle impound. Could be in the $1000's once the dust settles. I'm only 50 but maybe it's time I grow up now that I think about it. Ride safe guys!

My last one was through on Hwy 152 in Gilroy coming from the central valley. It's several miles of a two lane road and no passing. Last year they painted all the dashed passing lanes into double yellows after some guy in a truck at 4am crossed over and killed a 24yr. old girl. After the long downhill going north most people turn left to Hwy 101, but I go straight to take a short cut and so did this farm worker in a small grey pickup truck. I had been following him patiently for MILES. He moved over to the fog line and I gunned it. He didn't wave so I crossed the double yellow just in case he didn't see me. Soon as I passed I took a hard look down the road and I see a car parked in someone's driveway facing me. I backed off the throttle and realized it was the CHP. I cruised by him doing the limit (45mph) and he was ready to pull a U turn right in behind me. He lit me up and another truck speeding in front of me pulled over, but CHP pulled in behind me on my shiny 2003 Honda RC 51 (999 v-twin) so the truck took off. Smart hombre! The CHP officer said, "I clocked you at 91mph, but only briefly". I said, "Wow. I guess it gets up to speed pretty fast. I knew I should have taken the freeway!" He only wrote me for the double yellow. $230 + fees + traffic school. I think that totaled up to $320 for Santa Clara County. The worst part is you can only take a specific traffic school which has those &%$#@!.king timed windows that you can't skip through and 3 hours later you're done with your 15min test. The home who's driveway entry way that CHP was parked in now has posted signs up that say NO STOPPING NO PARKING.

My favorite 3 other tickets are for doing 10mph over the limit. God damn trolls.

• Like 1

Ya those fines some of you get in the sates suck for sure. I never take my dirt bike anywhere near the street so never have to worry about my lack of social control there but have a seriously pimped out GSXR1000K7 that I can't help but act up on when out in areas where I think it is safe from Cops and other assorted hazards, but you never know! I for example passed a slow assed stumpy at what was probably getting close to 180kph wheeling through 2nd and 3rd gear. Now I'm usually not that stupid but once in a while I have way to much adrenaline and do dumb things even still and an age where I should really know better. Here it is called stunting or driving with undue care and attention and the ticket is anywhere from $180 to god knows what and can be added to speeding or what ever as well. If you are caught going 40kph over the limit it is an automatic suspension and vehicle impound. Could be in the $1000's once the dust settles. I'm only 50 but maybe it's time I grow up now that I think about it. Ride safe guys!

Yeah I'm only 50 as well, when you grow up you die.

I had a GSX1000 K2 10 odd years ago, cops frown on wheelies when your doing twice the marked speed limit of 100kph.

I figure, whats the difference between speeding :naughty:  , monoing :naughty: , and failing to heed the direction of a police officer :naughty:  , all equates to loss of licence or worse :jawdrop: .

WTF, go for it and catch me if you can :p

Yeah I'm only 50 as well, when you grow up you die.

I had a GSX1000 K2 10 odd years ago, cops frown on wheelies when your doing twice the marked speed limit of 100kph.

I figure, whats the difference between speeding :naughty: , monoing :naughty: , and failing to heed the direction of a police officer :naughty: , all equates to loss of licence or worse :jawdrop: .

&%$#@!, go for it and catch me if you can :p

LMFAO, that only works for a while then something bad always seems to happen. But I do agree to a degree, to stop riding on the edge will be tough when and if that day ever happens! Keepin it up as long as I can!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377485189.860096.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the DRZ back in 2008 knowing that it was not a high speed machine so I was not tempted to ride fast and risk tickets, etc...  The temptation to wheelie is WORSE than riding fast...  (although I have managed to get a couple of speeding tickets on backroads over the past 70K miles)   I'm 53 and it is still tough to maintain self control when riding the DRZ, it is just too easy to wheelie...  (always remember to cover the rear brake and wheelie in cop free "safe" areas... ) 

In Georgia we have the "Super Speeder" tickets, 75 or over on 2 lane and 85 or over on 4 lanes or more...   Those tickets get nasty...

Funny story...... here goes (and I have to say that after this event I happily pay any fine I get with a smile).

Picture this....It's a beautiful Spring day, I'm on my new Ducati 916 in full race leathers and going well over the limit with my knee down, on my favorite smooth sweeping downhill left hander, when pinged by a cop going the other way.

I thought about running for a split second but grabbed the brakes and by the time I was stopped, took off my helmet and leaned back on the bike contemplating my future fate, the cops roared around the corner in full pursuit mode with it all hangin' out.

They saw me stopped and couldn't pull up until 50m past me in a cloud of smoke. Female cop gets out and asks if there's any reason I'm going so fast and I swear I shrugged and said "Beautiful day.... beautiful bike.... beautiful road'.  

after she berated me for recklessness and said she didn't want to be the one scraping my dead body off the road, said 'take it easy, okay.' and got back in the car and drove off!!!

Now I'm closer to 50 than I would like but wheelies are my release and as yet haven't been done. (touch wood)

Converting my SM to dirt has probably been my saviour as I can hooligan around as much as I like in the bush with no Po-Po.

Still........... :devil:

85$ ticket for wheelies?? that's insane... in norway it's almost 1000$ if not more, plus you lose your licenses, not just for motorcycle either, you aren't allowed to drive ANYTHING for atleast 6 months...