Bad day...

I got my drz for about 3 weeks, my first week on thumpertalk and I love this place, same as my drz, when I had it, couse got stolen yesterday...

Just hoping the insurance will pay me and will get on the bike asap...

Now question, whats next,I love drz but it had a little lack of power,

Now I'll be looking for next supermoto, top of my list is reliability,

There is one drz 440 with big bore, and hows it effects engine life, previous owner of my told to dont do it couse its blows engines(whatever he means)

Then lc4 690 '03, husaberg 530 '09, and aprilia svx550?

What would you pick up?

94mm (436cc) DRZ is as reliable as stock.

KTM LC4, 690 KTM OK (LC4 lots of vibration), Husaburgs depends on year.  SXV550 cool bike but it is like lighting the fuse.  No going to burn very long but exciting while it lasts.

Like noble said , a big bore is as reliable as stock . I have been running mine for over four years without a single problem , touch wood . It all depends on who installed it and how the bike was and is looked after and serviced . The big bore , cams , carb and pipe make a big difference to the bike and it really is very noticeable over a stock motor . If you are mechanically minded then get a standard bike and add the bits , it isnt very hard and all of the parts are a straight swap , aswell as being quite cheap in the case of the big bore , cams and pipe . I hope all goes well with recovering your bike , there is nothing worse than some lowlife stealing your ride , greg

Like noble said , a big bore is as reliable as stock . I have been running mine for over four years without a single problem , touch wood . It all depends on who installed it and how the bike was and is looked after and serviced . The big bore , cams , carb and pipe make a big difference to the bike and it really is very noticeable over a stock motor . If you are mechanically minded then get a standard bike and add the bits , it isnt very hard and all of the parts are a straight swap , aswell as being quite cheap in the case of the big bore , cams and pipe . I hope all goes well with recovering your bike , there is nothing worse than some lowlife stealing your ride , greg

My bad, it's 483cc, contacted guy through the other forum and I hope I will get the full spec soon.

What you thinking?

Damn IRA stealing sumo's for their gun running crimes! That sucks.

Unless you go KTM, I'd stick with the DRZ. The the Aprilla SVX is the sexiest looking SM with one of the strongest engines. The problem is it burns through oil like a race bike. I've read that guys take oil with them on every ride that's how bad it can be and maintenance intervals are every 500 miles if you don't want to kill the engine.

Every bike has it's issue. Get the right tool for your type of riding.

• Like 1

Damn IRA stealing sumo's for their gun running crimes! That sucks.

Unless you go KTM, I'd stick with the DRZ. The the Aprilla SVX is the sexiest looking SM with one of the strongest engines. The problem is it burns through oil like a race bike. I've read that guys take oil with them on every ride that's how bad it can be and maintenance intervals are every 500 miles if you don't want to kill the engine.

Every bike has it's issue. Get the right tool for your type of riding.

I think I stay with drz, but my concern is how this 483cc engine will run,my time on a bike is 60% commuting 40% fun, reliability is where I want to go, I would like to get that few horses extra, but prefer stay with 38 with no worries on my mind, and there is drz400e version with sm wheels...now where to go? :huh:

Get the specs on the engine first , like who built it and what has gone into it , ( type of big bore kit , type of stroker kit , type of cams , type of and size of valves and size of carby . Although 483cc sounds cool it probably only has a two ring piston which means a lot more service work . Anything over a 94mm bore seems to have sealing issues and can do head gaskets regularly . It sounds a bit around the size of craigo`s SM , so when you find out some details maybe he can advise you on it , greg

I second what Hinksy says. For that displacement It has to have a stroker crank, 94mm bore or custom head. You add a 41mm FCR carb and an MRD pipe and you have a full on race bike. If so it needs frequent (500 mile?) oil changes. You're going to have more vibration and a loud ass pipe. Not the ideal commuter. It seems the two things that break most often are the valves and crank rod. Tolerances go, you get some slap and the whole head blows up and or the bottom gets grenaded by the rod letting go.

Couple guys on here did a full rebuild only to lose a stock valve within a few miles of the rebuild destroying their new engine. I bought a used 2007 SM with 10k miles, I put 900 miles on it the exhaust valve snapped, the piston slapped the spark plug, the cam journal holder cracked, and cam scored the head. $2,600 later I have a 434.

Stay away from the 483

The 94mm B Bore kit is the cheapest mod for ok power and low maintenance

little confused over here, he says he have nikasil 94mm cylinder, JE forged piston and hotrods crankshaft, brand new standard clutch...and it suppose to even more reliable than standard???