Sign in to follow this  

Wind screen

I've been riding my bike mainly in the dirt, but when I get on the street I notice a lot of wind when you get above 40 mph.  I can't even imagine riding this bike on the highway at 60+ mph.  Has anybody here tried a wind screen on their bike?  Are they worth it?

• Like 1

CRF only has one that is spendy made for our bikes but only in clear--I,ve had screens on other bikes --it makes a world of differance--on the highway that is-- :ride: :ride:

I've been riding my bike mainly in the dirt, but when I get on the street I notice a lot of wind when you get above 40 mph.  I can't even imagine riding this bike on the highway at 60+ mph.  Has anybody here tried a wind screen on their bike?  Are they worth it?

I have installed the TCI Adventure Touring Windscreen. I did a write up on it with install instructions here: TCI Adventure Wind Screen for the CRF250L.

I have put several thousand miles on since writing that. My final word is: it is a great windscreen for this bike. It really helps on the highways. Just make sure you remove it (very easy) before going off-road. I felt that it wasn't in my way off-road -- until it was! I was climbing a steep very loose hill, went off track a bit and smacked the screen into a tree. It broke. I was hardly moving, but it broke anyway. I'm waiting for a replacement as we speak. This time I know better to leave it off unless I am going on the highway for extended travel.

Highly recommend this screen. it eliminates the push on the torso. There is no buffeting either, and if anything the handling effect is positive at speed.

Cheers

• Like 5

Welcome Scoot !!! ...  :cheers:

It's been awhile but, I read every word of your adventure !!! ...   :thumbsup:

You have a fantastic blog and great writing skills... please keep up the good work ... If you ever do more CRF250L adventures .... please let us know...   :ride:

thank you !!! 

Welcome Scoot !!! ...  :cheers:

It's been awhile but, I read every word of your adventure !!! ...   :thumbsup:

You have a fantastic blog and great writing skills... please keep up the good work ... If you ever do more CRF250L adventures .... please let us know...   :ride:

thank you !!! 

Hey thanks Gnath, I appreciate that. I've been in a bit of a slump lately with the blog. I'll be writing again soon though. Also... I have a Drift HD Ghost helmet cam winging it's way to me right now. Well, it's coming by Purolator ground, so I guess it's not actually "winging it s way," but it will arrive soon . I'll then have more ways to share rides and adventures. They are most often solo rides, so it's nice to have some company along, even if it is after the fact.

I managed to take advantage of that $299.00 promo price on the Ghost, that Drift is offering. Usually you can't get the sale price if you have it shipped to Canada by Drift direct, or distributors. B&H Photo in New York was the exception. Got the camera for $299. and the external Mic for $19.99. Plus they were fair on the shipping charge. Thank you B&H Photo!

probably catch you later riding the threads :-)

Cheers

• Like 3

oh, B&H are good, they have a good reputation. 
Did you ever see that thread on advrider abut whether or not you ride alone? Quite interesting, and quite controversial. But many of us do it, of course. 

oh, B&H are good, they have a good reputation. 

Did you ever see that thread on advrider abut whether or not you ride alone? Quite interesting, and quite controversial. But many of us do it, of course. 

No, I haven't seen that thread on ADVrider. Thanks, I'll look it up. My take on solo riding is: I would be much safer in a group of three, and it might be more fun. I know that I take a large risk riding in the hills by myself, especially being a learner on dirt. But I'm a good self-learner, and I do love the solitude and freedom to stop wherever for however long without regard for others. Also, I know only one rider who rides on dirt, and we can't always mesh our schedules (such as they are for retired guys, lol), and, he is moving to another area of the province soon anyway.

I actually have another friend who has a DL650, but he hasn't been well enough to ride in the last two years or so. Some mysterious ailment that is playing havoc in his system. Another friend rides a vintage Honda CX street bike. He has test ridden a CRF250L and loved it, but he might need a nudge or three to get one. Comfort zones and all that. 

In spring 2014 I'll likely join the Okanagan Trail Riders Association. No doubt I'll learn a lot with them and meet a few people who ride dual sports. Sorry, this is supposed to be a thread on windscreens. I should be getting my replacement plastic soon. I like the brackets that screen uses. When you are not using the screen (riding on dirt) there are no dangerous protrusions sticking up ready to impale you. Those brackets look, and act, like metal guards for the headlamp housing area (sort of).

Cheers

• Like 2

I have an opinion on this subject. Mine is that, if time is taken, you will likely get used to the wind and the noise. 

I say that because this is my first bike in thirty years. When I got it, I loved toodling around on backroads at 45 miles an hour. Then when I had to go 55 to get where I wanted to go, I was very uncomfortable. The wind moved me around. I felt every blip in the road, the wind in the helmet was loud. Just very uncomforable.

Now, 2000 miles later, I am much better acclimated to it. I wear earplugs, so that is a disclaimer, but I actually like getting this baby up to 65 now. Yeah it moves you around a little bit, yes you still hear and feel everything, but it's kind of cool, and just sort of part of the experience. Does that make sense?

I suggest that you ease into the higher speeds and save the $299. Go out and get on the fast slab in the mornings when there is no wind and no traffic. Get a feel for it. If somebody is riding your ass, making you uncomfortable, pull over and let them go. Let the anxiety go. 

You bought the bike, I think you will be happy with it after more time. 

Just my 2cents.

I bet, if your experience is like mine, you may feel differntly after some time.

• Like 4

I have an opinion on this subject. Mine is that, if time is taken, you will likely get used to the wind and the noise. 

I say that because this is my first bike in thirty years. When I got it, I loved toodling around on backroads at 45 miles an hour. Then when I had to go 55 to get where I wanted to go, I was very uncomfortable. The wind moved me around. I felt every blip in the road, the wind in the helmet was loud. Just very uncomforable.

Now, 2000 miles later, I am much better acclimated to it. I wear earplugs, so that is a disclaimer, but I actually like getting this baby up to 65 now. Yeah it moves you around a little bit, yes you still hear and feel everything, but it's kind of cool, and just sort of part of the experience. Does that make sense?

I suggest that you ease into the higher speeds and save the $299. Go out and get on the fast slab in the mornings when there is no wind and no traffic. Get a feel for it. If somebody is riding your ass, making you uncomfortable, pull over and let them go. Let the anxiety go. 

Just my 2cents.

I bet, if your experience is like mine, you may feel differntly after some time.

Ding Ding Ding .... 

Joe gets it ...  :thumbsup:

This bike is a little 250 dual sport ... it is not an adventure bike... nor is it a cruiser ...  :prof:

If you bought the wrong bike for your needs ... go get a new one.  :p

I absolutely love the CRF250L and all it's wonder ... In fact this weekend I may be taking a little highway jaunt with some Harley dudes ... I told them I will not cruise over 65 mph but I am game !!! ....  :cheers:

I have been modding this bike towards the dirt bike theme .... I am so close to having one bad ass tractor on the trails it is just silly ....   :goofy:

But, At the same time it is proving itself on the pavement so well that,  I am starting to rethink my position ... I have a hard time explaining this but, I get from point A to point B much faster than the bigger bikes I ride with.  :ride:

always remember .... 

Do what you want ...make it how you like ...  listen to no one ... (including me) ... and share with the world !!! .... :lol:

• Like 4

Ding Ding Ding .... 

Joe gets it ...  :thumbsup:

This bike is a little 250 dual sport ... it is not an adventure bike... nor is it a cruiser ...  :prof:

If you bought the wrong bike for your needs ... go get a new one.  :p

I absolutely love the CRF250L and all it's wonder ... In fact this weekend I may be taking a little highway jaunt with some Harley dudes ... I told them I will not cruise over 65 mph but I am game !!! ....  :cheers:

I have been modding this bike towards the dirt bike theme .... I am so close to having one bad ass tractor on the trails it is just silly ....   :goofy:

But, At the same time it is proving itself on the pavement so well that,  I am starting to rethink my position ... I have a hard time explaining this but, I get from point A to point B much faster than the bigger bikes I ride with.  :ride:

always remember .... 

Do what you want ...make it how you like ...  listen to no one ... (including me) ... and share with the world !!! .... :lol:

WELL said and i agree :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Just my 2cents.

That's a great response and pretty much sums up my situation. I grew up riding dirt bikes. I took a 25 year break from riding and now I have a shiny new 250L. I have taken to the dirt pretty well and it just feels right. I'm just starting to get more accustomed to the street and all the wind, noise, etc. I just don't trust the way people drive and not having the protection of sheet metal and air bags around me is nerve racking. This experience has really opened up my eyes as I'm much more aware of bikes now.

• Like 2

I just don't trust the way people drive and not having the protection of sheet metal and air bags around me is nerve racking. This experience has really opened up my eyes as I'm much more aware of bikes now.

I hear ya !!! 

I drive/ride in such a manner that I challenge any and all to hit me ...  :p

The most important thing to remember when riding a motorcycle on the street is ... "There is no such thing as a traffic law" 

There are no green lights ... there are no stop signs ... there are no right of ways .... always behave in such a manner that you know in your heart that every single damn one of those guys are trying to kill you !!! 

Also .... a little known statistic is that the majority of motorcycles involved in a crash are hit from their left. Always pay extra attention to vehicles on your left pulling out from side streets.

If you think about it ..... the guy in the car looks to his right across the passenger seat and he can not see as well as if he looked left directly out his drivers window.

So when he looks right from that side street .... that puts him on your left !!! ... :prof:  

Also always ride with your high beam on during the day !!! (it helps the guy on your left see you)

Never go with the flow of traffic ... you do not want to blend in ... always stand out and be seen !!! 

Always be on the offense ... never on defense. 

It is very important to be an aggressive rider but not cocky or arrogant ... be in charge and control of the situation at all times !!! 

Be alert ... Be aware ... and always dress for the crash ...   :banana:

• Like 3

Well said gnath and remember your INVISABLE to everyone :ride:  so ride like you are :thumbsup:

Well ..... you just said it with less words than I did is all  ....  :p

• Like 1

LOL what a philosophical thread this turned into.. :thumbsup:

I somewhat agree to some parts (and fully to the off-topic safety stuff!), but still.. if I'm in a hurry or have a long way to go, I will do 75-80mph a lot, because I CAN. I've driven enough without the windscreen to appreciate the "raw feel", but I'd still rather make myself comfortable than save a few bucks or worry about looks. Why choose my car when I have a much more fun thing around that's wasting money sitting around?

If you're ever only doing 60mph, I don't think a screen is really needed yet. After that it does get progressively worse..

That said, still looking into the Puig deflector as it looks good and is cheap.. doesn't look like you need to remove it for off-road either. So it could be a great compromise when adjusted for highway speeds. :ride:

And get yourself some earplugs, the best $200 spent will be some molded ones.. -15dB is great, you will hear everything but not loose your hearing!

Edited by Hege

I hear ya !!! 

I drive/ride in such a manner that I challenge any and all to hit me ...  :p

The most important thing to remember when riding a motorcycle on the street is ... "There is no such thing as a traffic law" 

There are no green lights ... there are no stop signs ... there are no right of ways .... always behave in such a manner that you know in your heart that every single damn one of those guys are trying to kill you !!! 

Also .... a little known statistic is that the majority of motorcycles involved in a crash are hit from their left. Always pay extra attention to vehicles on your left pulling out from side streets.

If you think about it ..... the guy in the car looks to his right across the passenger seat and he can not see as well as if he looked left directly out his drivers window.

So when he looks right from that side street .... that puts him on your left !!! ... :prof:  

Also always ride with your high beam on during the day !!! (it helps the guy on your left see you)

Never go with the flow of traffic ... you do not want to blend in ... always stand out and be seen !!! 

Always be on the offense ... never on defense. 

It is very important to be an aggressive rider but not cocky or arrogant ... be in charge and control of the situation at all times !!! 

Be alert ... Be aware ... and always dress for the crash ...   :banana:

That deserves to be repeated. Really good advice. Developing that way of being super aware and in charge while riding is actually one of the joys of riding a motorcycle.

And I'm beginning to agree with easygojoe on the windscreen issue. It does make highway miles, especially on long highway trips, much more comfortable with no push on the torso, BUT, since I was waiting for the replacement plastic, I've of course been riding without it, and I like it better. The bike sounds much quieter as resonant engine sounds are no longer magnified by a screen, and I feel more connected to the road and the elements. I've always enjoyed connecting to the basics of whatever I do. I guess this is in line with that.

That said, I think a lot of people like the challenge and difference of doing long adventure trips on 250cc (or less); Lois Price is the notable example. And there, a windscreen is a huge advantage. This is a fun bike, no matter what use you put it to :-)

• Like 4

i've never been one for windscreens, or fairings. i might get around to the Puig deflector, though, based on what the person here who got one said - that it made a major difference with the bugs and directed the wind over him. It would only matter, though, if i get to riding where there are bugs - which i hope to do. 

I have been modding this bike towards the dirt bike theme .... I am so close to having one bad ass tractor on the trails it is just silly ....    :goofy:

But, At the same time it is proving itself on the pavement so well that,  I am starting to rethink my position ... I have a hard time explaining this but, I get from point A to point B much faster than the bigger bikes I ride with

Proven, as per supermotojunkie forum. The only time it's a disadvantage is when you need to do long distances on freeways. Although bearing in mind, the supermotos are actually enduro bikes or mx bikes and the CRF-L is geared better for sustained high speeds than most of them, and they don't have enough oil capacity. 

Anyway, i know what you mean - i thought about it again now. And you probably have too, the same thing. The only other option would be for you to get a bike more suited for the offroad - like the bike you want to get for your boy, you'd have to get two of them, and make the CRF-L a supermoto/streetmoto. But is it worth it? The only compromise we're making is the knobbies and the 21" wheel. Which is no big deal. It's only a problem for the people who are commuting to work every day, when it rains. Rest of the time, knobbies just means you can't corner so extremely like the supermotos do. And most of our riding is either in suburbs or quiet backroads where extreme cornering is happening anyway. 

PS:  i could've just said, Yes, you get from point A to point B much quicker, that's what so many people have found, why they're into supermotos. Torque, acceleration, sittiing position, ride over kerbs and gutters and whatever, cut through construction sections...

Edited by Cat ji
  • Like 1

Windscreen wouldn't work out for me cause i'm forever going someplace and saying "Wonder where that dirt road or trail goes " and riding it to find out --Maps are for sillly tourists if you ask me-- :ride: :ride: You arn't lost if you make it home in time for DINNER :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1